Popolocrois Strategy Guide
How to start:
Title Screen Menu:
New Game OR
Load Game Save. X to Select.
After a nice anime FMV bit you will start. Here are a few things
you should know before you start.
Square - Brings up Monster Diary(showing HP/etc. of
Triangle - Brings up INVENTORY MENU.
Circle - Investigates/starts conversation.
X - Run button.
Start - Brings up map screen.
Select - Pauses.
When you press the Triangle button you will be shown
YOUR CHARACTER'S HP AND MP WILL BE ALONG THE TOP OF THE SCREEN.
- USE PERSONAL MAGIC
- SEE INVENTORY
- SEE STATS AND EQUIP WEAPONS/ARMOUR/POTIONS
- SEE STATS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED POINTS
- SELECT BATTLE FORMATION
- Some characters have there own personal spells they can only
use on themselves. To see what they are select them and see the
effect. The character you have at the beginning has a heal spell
and a spell that produces a star at his feet (a shield maybe?).
- Your inventory is where you keep all your items (big pockets!).
Some of these items you can use straight away such as HP and MP
potions, just select a potion/vial and the select who you want
to give it to. The potions you cannot use are still a mystery
to me. I know some are reincarnation potions which should be equipped
(using the No.3 menu command)as these can be used to reincarnate
fallen members of your party.
- This is where you can see all your stats, I don't know what
all of them are for but I know the most important ones (at the
top) are for HP, MP and GP. Along the right hand side is another
menu. Using this menu you can equip your characters with a weapon,
some armour (2 items) and 2 potions. This menu is quite easy to
work out, just select the weapon/armour/potion you want and check
it is not inferior to your previous selection (by the arrows).
Put group HP and reincarnation potions in this menu as you can
then use them in battle.
- This command shows you all your stats and your experience
gained and needed. The experience needed(under exp. gained) counts
down every time you defeat a monster, when it gets to 0 you gain
a level(shown in the text that comes after a battle, usually
the top number is experience points and the bottom is GP points,
anything other that that is either going up a level or a new
spell learnt signified by a sample). The text in the box on the
right is the magic experience gained, this counts up all the
- This lets you determine how your party will form itself when
attacked. If you have a magic user then put her at the back and
your fighter(s) forward. This is not really vital but it sometimes
Menu for Inn conversation:
SLEEP - Costs GP (Money) and you can save after.
SAVE - Saves game without sleeping.
CANCEL- Cancels conversation.
A similar system is used in shops
BUY > WEAPONS/ARMOUR/POTIONS/CANCEL
SELL > YOUR ITEMS/CANCEL
Buying and selling is quite simple, just select what you want
and then press Left or Right to select how many.
The X button cancels. When buying armour look at the little
arrows at the side, if they are red then the item is losing you
points and if they are blue then they are gaining you points.
Green means they are equal in points.
Battle System Menu (as far as I can figure out!)
For all menus Circle selects and X cancels
When you meet your first monsters you will be shown this menu-
|1. FIGHT!||3. ? maybe normal attack)
|2. RUN AWAY||4. ? (maybe attack just one character)
|5. ? (maybe just use hand weapon attacks)
|7. ? |
|(When you select these your party fights automatically, I don't know the difference between each one).
If you choose to FIGHT! you will be shown a menu similar to this-
1. USE HAND WEAPON (only if attacker is next/near to a monster)
2. USE MAGIC SPELL (uses MP)
3. USE SPECIAL POWER (uses something as it sometimes runs out)
4. DO NOTHING (increases GUTS meter)
If you press Left on the D-Pad you will be given
5. DO NOTHING (not sure about this)
6. USE POTION IN HAND (equip in INVENTORY MENU)
7. DESERT PARTY (only particular character runs away) (this is
handy if you are the last character alive)
After selecting one of the commands you are given the choice of
which character you want to attack/use potion on (except No's.4
Everything is pretty much straightforward, select a monster/character
with the hand pointer and they will be attacked/healed/cured/etc.
If a monster is behind something or other characters are between
you and it then you cannot attack it with your hand weapon. It
is not always possible to run away but if you attempt it then
you are still given the chance to fight. The GUTS meter is similar
to a super gauge in Street Fighter games. If you choose to DO
NOTHING then your GUTS meter will go up, when it is full your
next attack with a hand weapon will be more powerful.
When you defeat a monster you will be shown a lot of Japanese
text with a few numbers in it. Usually the topmost number is the
experience gained and the other GP gained.
Episode 1 - Find the little blue guy and get the crown back.
- Explore Castle, collect items in chests (they can be left
alone until later in the quest but I can't tell if they get better).
- Go outside the castle to the outer tower (left of Castle entrance)
and collect the sword.
- Go across the bridge to the town. Explore town. In the town
you will find a few chests, a shop and an inn. You will be joined
by 2 Guards.
- Wander around outside and gain experience and GP. Investigate
the statue of the Dragon, this is a teleport but cannot be used
yet. Don't go south as there are some hard monsters there that
will kill you quickly.
- Head North through the woodcutters village. Near this area
is a pond where a fairy can replenish your HP (Health).
- Keep heading North until you find a large tree. Kill the monster
and talk to the Witches. The Guards will have run away.
- Head back to the castle and talk to the King (and see the
2 Guards get told off). After you watch the sequence head to
the balcony and you will use your flute to summon the Witches.
- Head back to the Tree where you find the Witches. Go North
to the Mountains.
- Enter Mountain entrance and make your way to the Hi-Tech town.
- Walk through the scrap yard and a rusty Knight will join you.
Equip him with some armour and potions.
- Investigate the Dragon Statue. This is a teleport and can
be used during the game to teleport between towns.
- Explore the town fully and switch all switches especially
the one in the big building where the monsters are swimming
in the fluid. A secret chest can be found by the entrance to
the town (you can just see it by the entrance).
- In the town is a shop and an inn. Sleep and Save and then
head for the main building.
- Go up the steps and enter the doors. Switch every switch you
see and make your way to the top of the building.
- FIRST BOSS Your first boss is the annoying little blue maniac
in the intro. Just keep hitting him with your most powerful
weapons/spells until you beat him.
- After beating him he will escape. Get out of the building
and head back to the castle.
- On your way back you will find the blue maniac has crashed
his escape machine. Watch the scene and then head back to the
- Walk along the bridge and you will be taken into a scene.
This is EPISODE 1 finished.
Episode 2 - The quest to find the Flying City.
In this quest I don't know what in particular you had to do so
just wander around the entire map, talk to everyone in the towns,
get lots of experience, GP points and activate all dragon teleports.
After you've done all this continue from here...
- Go to the town in the swamps and talk to everyone. Now go
into the building and go upstairs. Investigate the mouth of the
cannon and you will be shown a little sequence. You will now
be fired over to the mining town.
- You will find yourself down the bottom of the mine on your
own. Explore around until you find the monkey. I think he's frightened
of something because when you go up the ladder and beat the baddie
he will come with you. Make your way to the top and you will
be met by the pretty witch. After you have beaten the monsters
the witch will make the bridge. Exit the mine and talk to everyone
again in the village.
- You now have to beat a rather hard monkey bit. After you have
come out of the mine go to the town by the sea and collect the
papers from the box upstairs in the boat making building. Talk
to everyone again and use the dragon teleport to get back to
the mining town. Take the papers to the blacksmiths, they will
now make (I think) a minecart. can't remember what I did now
but eventually a mine cart is built, I think you just have to
sleep or do something else.
- When the mine cart is built (it's located under the town,
reached by taking the lift down) talk to the man standing by
it and you will get in the cart and it will trundle off down
- After a sequence you will crash into a rock blocking the tracks.
This section is quite tough as it has lots of monkeys who daze
you all the time. You must have lots of HP/MP potions equipped
(to use when monkeys hit you when you are dazed) and the pretty
witch must have the speed up spell as this increases the amount
of turns you have. The best strategy is to avoid all fights but
if you do get caught use a combination of the witches Holy Water
spell (attacks all) and hand weapon attacks. The place you have
to head for is the west of the area where the path through the
trees is. Go inside and beat the Monkey Boss.
- The Monkey Boss. This one is quite tough if you haven't got
a lot of experience (and therefor HP/MP). The best strategy is
to have the main character and the knight attack the boss while
the witch cures the dazes (with cure spell) and damage (with
Healing Rain spell) and in between use the Speed Up spell. Magic
spells don't seem to have much effect on the boss so use hand
weapons, the witches Holy Water spell is good for killing a lot
of the normal monkeys. Don't kill all the monkeys though as the
boss will call for more, leave around 2-3 monkeys and try to
cope with their damage.
- After you have beaten the boss go to the wall behind him and
collect the stone. This stone is to be taken back to the Water
Fairy (by the woodcutters town) and given to her, you will then
gain something. Now go back to the Mining town and use the mine
cart again (I can't remember if the minecart is already there,
if it's not then sleep/save and wander around a bit).
- When you use the minecart you will be taken via a track to
the town by the sea. Go to the blacksmiths and then the ship
making building. Talk to the man by the boat. I think he says
he needs a propeller, because this is your next objective.
- Go outside the town (after stocking up on potions and weapons)
and use the dragon teleport to get to the town where the monsters
live. You can sleep/save and you might want to try and beat the
monsters on the bridge. To do this talk to the white hooded monster
and choose the top option, now walk onto the bridge and fight.
- Bridge Fight (this isn't vital but if you cannot beat the
second boss then you should get more experience).
First Boss - A monster holding a boulder 200-250 HP (This monster
will drop the boulder on you if he gets close).
Second Boss- A nasty spiky monster 300-400 HP (It doesn't matter
how close he is, just use lightning).
Third Boss - A tough green robot 500-600 HP (Quite tough, use
lightning and hand weapon to beat him). If you beat the 3rd Boss
easily then you are doing well with experience. I don't know what
reward you get, maybe it's just a gauge of how well your doing?.
- Exit the town (west) and make your way to the brightly coloured
building. You should be let in (can't remember if I did something
else). Head to the top of the building and you will meet the
blue man again. He will give you the propeller (he probably knicked
it). Take this propeller back to the Ship town.
- Give the propeller to the man by the boat and you will be
shown a sequence where you make a boat. After you have made the
boat get on it.
- The boat will now sail off and you will be shown a little
- The boat will now crash into the side of a Ghost Ship. Get
off the boat and explore the ship.
- The ship has lots of locked doors and dead ends, just walk
around talking to everyone and then retrying the locked doors.
The ghosts are quite tough so be ready with the heal potions/spells.
You have to make your way to the top deck and on your way find
a big gold key.
- When you are on the top deck go up to the birds nest and talk
to the ghost. Now go back to the door, go inside and talk to the
ghost captain. You will now have to fight a fish boss.
- Fish Boss. HP 1500-2000 This boss uses multiple attack spells
so get ready with the cure/heal potions. Throw everything you
have at him and especially attack him with hand weapons and fireball.
- After you have beaten this boss you will be shown a little
story sequence showing you washed up on a beach. You will now
be taken to a place where you get some rest.
- After waking up you can save the game (talk to the woman).
Now explore the islands, talk to everyone and buy some potions/weapons/etc.
Go to the girl by the ship and talk to her, now collect the hammer
on the table and make your way to the centre of the island (a
big rock) finding a few chests and a sword on the way.
- Walk to the rock and investigate it. The pretty witch will
now join you (in a different guise). Now find a few monsters
to experiment with her new spells, they're quite nifty.
- Go back to the girl by the boat and then to the island where
the boat is (nearby). You will talk a bit and then you will
have to go back to the town and talk to everyone again. Once
you've done the right thing (talked to a particular character?)you
will be allowed onto the boat. This next bit is brilliant, it's
a few minutes of anime FMV!, and it's brilliant.
- The Flying City. You will now be in the Flying City, find
the centre and explore/talk/etc. Now go to the main doors and
investigate. After this go to the door that was previously locked
and go in. You will be shown a nice story sequence explaining
how the city came to be and what happened to all the people. Go
back to the main doors and enter.
- If you are low on HP/MP then go through the right door, after
this go back and go through the left door. Explore the rooms
and then you will meet the main enemies. You be shown a little
story and then the blue man will join you.
- Go back to the main doors, go up the stairs and then talk
to the Wolf/Dog character. He explain something and then you
will have to do something.
- After listening to the man go back downstairs and go to the
room where you healed yourself. Go to the room beyond and stand
on the carving in the floor. You will go down.
- Down the lift is a large 2 level area consisting out an inner
core, middle core, outer core (where you start (in a big square
ring)) and corridors leading off the outer core. In these corridors
are columns of light, if you want you can explore all of them
to find chests but be warned some are vicious trap chests and
will encounter lots of robots. If you meet these robots then
kill them quickly with weapon attacks as they call bigger robots.
- Your objective here is to make it to the inner core (via the
outer and middle core). There you will meet the main baddies
again and you will have to beat a boss.
- The Mechanical Brain. HP 3000 Very tough, use the Knights
"Jumping Attack" and hand attacks on it for best effect.
Basically repeatedly use whatever weapon is best. The main character
has a handy multiple attack (special attack menu, bottom) which
attacks (after a few turns) with a powerful lightning attack,
which is useful for clearing the robots guards. Remember to reincarnate
the dead members of your party.
- The place will now start to fall apart. You now have to talk
to the wolf/dog man, go to the boat and fly away. Another anime
FMV bit coming up. This is the end of Quest 2.
Episode 3 - ??????? (But it involves going back to the flying
city ruins, a flying/talking whale and shrinking yourself!)
- After talking to your dad (the King) talk to everyone again
and then head out of the castle. Your friends will now join you.
- Take the sword you found on the tropical islands to the Mining
Town and give it to the blacksmiths. They will make something
better for you.
- Go back to the Hi Tech city (where you first met the Knight)
and go back through the main doors (you can also sleep/save/buy
things here). Find the little blue screen and the blue man will
operate it. The door in front will now be unlocked.
- Go inside and explore, remembering to flick every switch you
see. There are 3 important switches, 2 are by the lift and the
other is down the stairs in a dead end corridor. Flick these
switches and then go back to the lift.
- Take the lift down to the bottom and fight the boss.
- The 1st main boss. This boss moves around quickly, try to
trap him (by putting your characters around him) and use your
hand weapons, as they do the most damage on him.
- After you have beaten him watch the story and then head back
to the Ship Town. Head to the Shipmaking building and go onto
the ship. You will be taken back to the ruins of the Flying City.
- Go to the top and then go to the lift (right of the Main Door).
Explore the area below and find the one remaining shaft of light
and then walk into it.
- You will be taken to the surface where you will fly off and
then land back at the castle. Talk to everyone and then go back
to the spaceship. I think you may have to walk along the main
bridge to get the others to come with you.
- The ship lands in another world. Talk to everyone and then
save in the hut where you start, potions can also be bought (recommended).
Now head North up the mountain and explore. You will eventually
find a Magician who will allow you to save and then sleep. During
the night you will wake up, talk to the Magician outside and
then go back to bed.
- In the morning the Magician will make a ladder up the side
of the mountain, climb this ladder. At the top you will have
to fight another boss.
- The 2nd Main Boss Use hand attacks (the Knights spinning sword
move is good)and heal when you get hurt. That's it.
- The Magician will eventually open a portal at the top of the
mountain. You will be asked if you want go through, say NO and
then sleep/save. Now go through the portal.
- You will be by a house. Enter the door, talk to the girl and
then go through the right door. In the corner of the room will
be a potion go up to it an drink it. You will now be shrunk.
- First of all find the house in the middle of the maze and
then go through the door at the bottom.
- Read the notice and then negotiate the invisible path way
(a bit irritating). Collect the chest and then go through the
other exit. A woman will now offer to restore your health, say
yes and then save the game. Go through the other exit.
- In this room are lots of coloured squares, each square takes
you to the corresponding one on another bit. Try to get to the
bottom corner where there are steps down. Downstairs is a competition,
enter it and you will fight some monsters.
- Test of strength Competition. Use your best attacks (usually
hand weapons) and group attacks (witches Holy Water and your
Fireball spell). When you face your clones take out the witch
clones first as she is the most lethal (she uses Holy Water and
- After winning the competition exit and go through the top
door. Now fight the fish. Just use hand attacks and heal everyone
when it uses the Tsunami spell. Go through the gate and into
the room with the harp. Listen to the woman, investigate the
clock and then exit.
- If you want a laugh you can conduct the band by walking up
to the stand, you can also play the piano. Go through the bottom
door and use the raft. The next bit is random. A fish asks you
questions and since it's in Japanese you don't know the answers.
There are 4 questions and they are each yes or no. I find the
Yes (top), No (bottom), No, Yes answers mostly work.
- Buy potions and talk to the Cats and then exit. Go into the
room with the box game. Stand on the box and pray. I don't know
what you have to do but I just hit the buttons and hoped. If
you get it right a ladder will appear, go up this ladder and
then fall down the Tree Trunk.
- Dragon Boss. This boss is a toughie. I only managed to kill
him by trapping him by the wall (by putting the Knight, Blue
man and main character right next to him thereby not allowing
him to move (they were all dead)and then attacking him with the
witches magic spell "Ya tin o yiber"). For some reason
he does nothing and providing you have enough MP potions equipped
you can just stand there and attack him (don't go close to him
- Once you have beaten him you will come out of a clock face.
Now slide down the slide and talk to the girl. After saving go
through the barred door.
- It seems as though you are going nowhere but keep heading
down and you will eventually reach the bottom. Go through the
door and onto the whale.
- The whale will take you to a Space Palace. Explore the area
finding 1 chest in the main hall and others in the maze upstairs.
Talk to everyone and then find the big woman. She will talk to
you and then you have to find a particular woman to talk to.
This woman is outside and she will open a small entrance. Go
into this entrance and walk up to the woman, listen to her and
then investigate the keyhole. Exit, save with the woman and then
head back to the whale.
- Watch the scene and then you will be on a planet. This planet
is (I think) a ruined version of the castle town. From the whale
head North and find the houses. In the houses you will find some
chests, exit and then go to where the bridge to the castle usually
- You will now be on a lift going up, you will have to fight
some monsters before reaching the top. Go in close and attack
with your sword as this seems to dizzy them so you can get another
- Watch the story and then go down the slope and fight the baddie.
- The 3rd Main Boss. Again quite tough but you can use the same
method as with the Dragon Boss. Trap him in a corner with dead
characters but this time use the main character to attack him.
Remember don't go close and only use the spell which is the top
command in the special attack menu, as this does a lot of damage
and you can do it indefinitely.
- The ice will now start to crack so you have to get out of
there. Go back to the top of the slope and watch the best anime
- You will now arrive back at the Space Palace, go back to see
the big woman and then go back to the whale.
- You are now back by the place where the portal was, find the
chests and then go back to the village. Talk to everyone in the
village especially the crowd by the waterfall and then go to
the dock where your space ship is. You will now take off and crash
back at the castle. The End of Episode 3
Episode 4 - To find the cure for the witch.
- During the story you will find that the Witch character has
become ill. You now have to find the plant to cure her. This
plant can be found where you found the Water Fairy (by the woodcutters
village). Go there and collect the plant.
HINT: If you meet the horned penguins use the hanky spell (in
the special spell menu. Use the hankies to block the penguin's
advance, try to block yourself in a gap and they won't be able
to touch you.
- Take the plant to the castle and give it to the other witch.
Now go to the conference room (by the main throne room) and a
story will unfold. After the story you will have all the characters.
Go out of the castle and save/buy lots of group 250HP and reincarnation
potions (as many as you can afford).
- Fight the mini battle outside the gates and then head back
the Water Fairy. When you get there you will find the pond has
frozen over allowing you to walk across it. Get ready to fight
some hard monsters, use hand attacks and the witches multiple
attack spell and if you are low on HP use one of the potions.
Battle your way through the narrow bit until you get to a clearing,
head directly North to get to the Ice Village. You can rest here
and save/buy potions. If you are strong enough explore the outer
area around the village to find some chests. Be warned there
are some tough monsters, if you meet the Metal Robot use the
Hanky spell again to block its path.
- After you have finished finding the chests go directly North
from the top corner of the village and you will eventually get
to a narrow opening. Go into this opening.
- In the Ice Palace explore the outer area to find some important
chests. The 4th Main Boss The best weapon to use against this
boss is Lightning and hand weapon attacks with a lot of guts.
Use the 250HP potions when HP gets low.
- Enter the beam of light and then negotiate the ice maze using
the lifts to get to other areas with hidden chests. Near the
top you will have to fight some monsters on a lift, use mostly
hand attacks and the witches multiple attack spell. The 4th Boss
(Again) Use the same attacks as before but use the HP potions
more often and reincarnate anyone who is dead.
- After you kill the boss you will see some more anime FMV and
you will meet your mother. Run with your mother back to the castle
and THE main boss will appear (remember to buy lots of potions
at the shop). THE main boss. This boss requires plenty of 250
HP and reincarnate potions. At first group your people around
the boss and hit with hand weapons, you can charge up the guts
meter if you want but remember to heal those attacks. If the boss
uses a dizzy spell either wait until it wears off or use the main
characters Cure Water spell. Remember to equip each character
with 250HP and reincarnate potions. When the boss turns gold
concentrate on healing critical attacks more than getting an
attack in, you can usually just have the main character casting
the lightning spell. Just be patient and you will succeed.
Episode 5 - The End.
In this episode all you have to do is explore the now monsterless
map finding things to do, if you get bored just go and find the
King and keep talking to him to go into the next room to see your
mother and you will be shown the ending. I think there maybe a
better ending but I can't work out all the little stories.
These are the ones I've found so far.
The Ship Town
Go to the ship building and go to the ship. You will now see
the Knight sail off to explore new lands. There is also a bit
on the end of the dock where a couple are reunited.
The Water Fairy pond
Here you will find the witch. I don't know what happens but
either you are blushing or going mad with the witch.
The Hi Tec Town
In a room with a coloured square floor you will be asked if
you want to see a play. Guess who's the main actor?.
The Swamp Town
Investigate the cannon in the middle. Ah, revenge!
The Blue guy's 2nd Base (by the Monster Town)
There are people wandering around. I would really like to
know what the 2 are talking about on the launch pad area. There
is a room in the castle(by a balcony)that has items in it. I think
this is an indication of what things you have done. I only have
a plant and 2 toys, but I have seen a picture of the room with
a model of the Flying City and a small cuddly toy of the blue
guy. I don't know how to get these though.
If you find any more please e-mail Mark Stephenson.
|Pietoro (the main character)||
||Grows in strength.|
|Heal Water||Heals one person.
|Cure Water||Cures one person (Down, Poison, Dizzy, etc.).
|Lightning ||Attacks one person.
|Para Up ||May increase Power.
|???????||(I know there are more but I haven't enough exp. yet).
|Special Spells||Blue beam thing
||Attacks one person.|
|Dig Hole||Dig hole under a person(not all monsters).
|Wait Lightning ||Attacks multiple persons(after a few turns).
|Haunted Hanky ||Creates a barrier enemy cannot cross (sometimes dizzies enemy).
|Narcia (the witch)||
|Magic spells||Healing Rain
||Heals all persons.|
|Light Attack||Grows in power and later attacks multiple enemies.
|Shield||Creates a shield(?).
|Holy Water||Attacks multiple persons.
|Para Up||All persons.
||Creates shield(but stops character!?).|
|Shrink||Shrinks some monsters.
|Heal all||Like Healing Rain.
|Transform||Transform to Kai.
|Kai (the transformed witch) ||
||Heals one person.|
|Dragon Fire||Attacks enemies along red path.
|Transform||Transform into random monster.
|Heal All||Like Healing Rain.
||Transforms back to Narcia.|
|Special attacks||Charge Up
||Increases GUTS to maximum.|
|Jumping Attacks||Attack anyone wherever they are.
|Spinning Attack||Attacks nearby enemies.
|Sword of Flame ||Attacks multiple enemies.
|Backflip Attack||Powerful attack (one person).
|Sabau?(the blue guy)||
|Just has the backpack rocket attack but may have some others later on.