NBA 2K22 is a 2021 installment in the long-standing NBA 2K video game series, developed by Visual Concepts and published by 2K. Like all its predecessors, it is designed to simulate the experience of the National Basketball Association. It is also the primary competitor to EA Sports’ long-running NBA Live series. This latest entry stands as the 23rd in the franchise and brings a range of new and improved features to the table. For the first time in the series’ history, the game boasts six different cover athletes, including Candace Parker, the first WNBA player to grace the cover. Here in this article, we will take a deep dive into the gameplay and players, and delve into what sort of tips, tricks, and cheat codes are available for it.
NBA 2K22 Premise
NBA 2K22 offers a mix of classic basketball simulation with the addition of a narrative-driven career mode, MyCAREER. The game has implemented improvements in key gameplay features since the last title, such as shot logic, contested shots, and a revamped defense system. For example, the shot meter is bigger and better this year, which in turn means more impressive shots for players. Additionally, the AI for defense has been reworked to require players to be in proper positions before making shots. The combination of this ensures that the game stays challenging while providing great highlights. The game’s central hub, The City, has been improved too. It serves as a meeting point for quests and community activities, while the new Concha Del Mar offers an onboard basketball experience on a cruise ship.
MyCareer mode follows MP, a character with a large following on social media, as he navigates challenges on and off the court. MP starts out trying to balance a meager career, guided by his friend and manager Ricky. As the player, you get to decide whether MP will go to college, join the G-League, or declare for the draft. Your choices affect his career, lifestyle, and endorsement deals. This is the game mode where the player has the most control and engagement over a singular player.
NBA 2K22 Characters
The central character in MyCAREER is MP, the player character. He is a viral YouTube sensation trying to make a name for himself in the NBA. He’s managed by his friend Ricky, who handles his business opportunities and endorsements. However, in addition to these key characters, there’s a whole roster of famous NBA stars awaiting on the court. These are modeled after real-life people and have varying stats that affect their gameplay. Below, we’ve also collected some of the best players available in the game.
- MP: The player’s character, a viral sensation trying to break into the NBA. MP is not just focused on basketball; he has interests in music and street basketball as well, allowing players to explore different facets of his life.
- Ricky: MP’s friend-manager, hustling behind the scenes for opportunities. Tries to guide the player, MP, throughout the tough times, while taking care of the paperwork.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo: Giannis Antetokounmpo, also known as the Greek Freak, plays as a forward for the Milwaukee Bucks. He is known for his versatility on both ends of the floor, from scoring to defense.
- Stephen Curry: Stephen Curry is the point guard for the Golden State Warriors and is considered one of the greatest shooters in NBA history. His three-pointers can change the tide of a game in an instant.
- Kevin Durant: Kevin Durant, a forward for the Brooklyn Nets, is known for his scoring ability. He’s a multiple-time NBA champion and one of the league’s best shooters.
- LeBron James: LeBron James, who plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, is often mentioned in conversations about the greatest basketball players of all time. He’s a forward who can also handle the ball like a point guard.
- Nikola Jokic: Nikola Jokic, the center for the Denver Nuggets, is celebrated for his unique playmaking abilities. His court vision and passing skills are unlike any other big man in the league.
- Luka Doncic: Luka Doncic plays as a guard for the Dallas Mavericks. He’s fairly new in NBA, but has already shown signs of a potential MVP with great game sense and scoring ability.
- James Harden: James Harden is a guard for the Brooklyn Nets. Known for his offensive capabilities, especially with his three-pointers. He’s also a former NBA MVP.
- Damian Lillard: Damian Lillard is a point guard for the Portland Trail Blazers. He is famous for his ability to hit game-winning shots. That’s why he is known by the nickname Dame Time.
- Kyrie Irving: Kyrie Irving serves as a point guard for the Brooklyn Nets. Known for his extraordinary ball-handling skills, he’s one of the best finishers in the league.
Games in the Series
NBA 2K22 is part of the long-running NBA 2K series that has been capturing the essence of professional basketball since its inception. It all started with NBA 2K released in 1999, when Sega published the Visual Concepts game for Dreamcast. Ever since, the series has seen yearly releases, each adding improvements and new features. NBA 2K22 stands as the 23rd installment of a total of 25 at the time of writing.
- NBA 2K (1999)
- NBA 2K1 (2000)
- NBA 2K2 (2001)
- NBA 2K3 (2002)
- ESPN NBA Basketball 2K4 (2003)
- ESPN NBA 2K5 (2004)
- NBA 2K6 (2005)
- NBA 2K7 (2006)
- NBA 2K8 (2007)
- NBA 2K9 (2008)
- NBA 2K10 (2009)
- NBA 2K11 (2010)
- NBA 2K12 (2011)
- NBA 2K13 (2012)
- NBA 2K14 (2013)
- NBA 2K15 (2014)
- NBA 2K16 (2015)
- NBA 2K17 (2016)
- NBA 2K18 (2017)
- NBA 2K19 (2018)
- NBA 2K20 (2019)
- NBA 2K21 (2020)
- NBA 2K22 (2021)
- NBA 2K23 (2022)
- NBA 2K24 (2023)
NBA 2K22 Cheats
In-game cheat codes are not what the NBA 2K series is known for. However, the game does have a locker code system, which allows players to add content, improve their roster, and get other exciting perks. In addition to these, we can help new players by explaining some of the trickier gameplay mechanics. However, let’s start with the locker codes.
These are simple codes you enter into the Locker Code view, accessed via the Options menu. Do note though, that these codes might not work at the time you are entering them. Most of the codes are set to expire at a specific point in time.
|Add the Invincible Devin Booker to your lineup.
|Redeem for Galaxy Opal Damian Lillard, Demar Derozan, Joel Embiid, Ja Morant, Karl-Anthony Towns, or Luka Dončić
|Redeem to get a Diamond Contract and a Dark Matter player
|Redeem for 50 Tokens, Diamond Contract, Diamond Shoe, Hall of Fame Badge, or Zero Gravity Deluxe Pack
|Redeem for Invincible LeBron James
|Redeem for Diamond Contract, HOF Badge, or 76 Tokens
|Redeem for Hunt 4 Glory: Camouflage Pack, Glass Cleaner Badge Pack or Rebounding Diamond Shoe Boost Pack
|Redeem for Dark Matter End Game Shaquille O’Neal
|Redeem for NBA 75 Pack or a Clutch Shooter Badge Pack
|Redeem for HoF Badge Pack, End Game Pack, Diamond Contract Pack, or Tokens
|Redeem for 2 Guaranteed Players and Gatorade Boosts for MyCareer
|Redeem for 100 tokens
|Redeem for an End Game Deluxe Pack or an Invincible Deluxe Pack
|Redeem for Swish Andre Iguodala
|Redeem for Dark Matter Takeoff Jayson Tatum
To improve your skills in the game and achieve higher highs, you should learn dribble moves. In addition to being a sight to behold, these allow the player to fool the opposing players and score more easily. However, it’s also worth noting that players vary in skill. Some excel more than others with certain dribble moves.
|Behind the Back
|Move RS down left and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand.
|Behind the Back Escape
|Move and hold RS down left while dribbling with your right hand.
|Between Legs Cross
|Move RS left and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand. Effective against aggressive defenders.
|Between Legs Escape
|Move and hold RS towards the left while dribbling with your right hand.
|Move RS up left and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand. Avoid using near defenders.
|Crossover to Hesitation Escape
|Move and hold RS towards up left while dribbling with your right hand to gain space.
|Explosive Behind the Back
|Move and hold RS down left, then hold LS/LT up and left of the non-ball hand. Useful for lunging from a standstill.
|Fake Drive Snatch Dribble
|Aim RS and LS/LT in opposite directions from your ball hand. Difficult but effective for bypassing defenders.
|Rotate RS in a quarter-circle from right to up and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand.
|Tap L2/LT once for a quick change of speed while driving.
|Move RS right and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand to create space.
|Move and hold RS towards the right while dribbling with your right hand.
|Hold Off Defenders
|Hold L2/LT to maintain dribbling position.
|In and Out
|Move and release RS quickly to feign a crossover while keeping your current path. Effective for deceiving defenders.
|Momentum Behind the Back
|Press R2/RT, move RS down-left and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand.
|Momentum Between Legs Cross
|Hold R2/RT, move RS left, and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand.
|Hold R2/RT, move RS up left, and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand.
|Hold R2/RT, move RS right, and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand.
|Press R2/RT, move RS down, and release quickly to create shooting space.
|Hold R2/RT and flip RS up for unique combos that vary by player.
|Signature Park Size-up
|Repeatedly tap L2/LT while in a standing dribble position.
|Move and hold RS up from a standstill dribble.
|Rotate RS clockwise and release quickly while dribbling with your right hand. Useful against aggressive defenders.
|Press R2/RT, move RS down and release quickly to create shooting space.
|Move RS down and release quickly. Useful for 3-pointers or gaining closer access to the basket.
NBA 2K22 Cheats FAQ
Q: Can I start MyCAREER in college?
You can choose to start in college, join the G-League, or declare for the NBA draft. The choice is yours.
Q: What are the main improvements in NBA 2K22?
NBA 2K22 features enhanced graphics and more realistic animations, like all new iterations. It also offers improved gameplay mechanics, including refined shooting and dribbling systems, as well as updates to MyCareer and MyTeam modes.
Q: What is Concha Del Mar?
Concha Del Mar is a multi-deck cruise ship that is a new setting for the game, featuring basketball courts, a deck for shopping, and Pro-Am competitions.