Resident Evil 4 Summary
Capcom’s Resident Evil 4 is the fourth mainline game in the long-running Resident Evil series. Resident Evil is responsible for popularizing the survival-horror genre and is one of the most successful franchises of all time. Originally releasing on the GameCube, Resident Evil 4 would revolutionize the series. The new remake of Resident Evil 4 retains the basic design of the original but updates it for modern audiences. RE4 is both the fourth game in the series and the fourth game to receive a remake.
Each game in the Resident Evil series pits players against seemingly insurmountable odds with limited resources. The ultimate goal is to survive by eliminating enemies using scarce ammo while also solving environmental puzzles. Resident Evil 4 represents a departure for the series where the action shifts from the fictional Colorado town of Raccoon City to rural Europe. Series hero Leon S. Kennedy needs to rescue the President of the United States’ kidnapped daughter while also dismantling a nefarious plot to enslave humanity through the use of bio-engineered weapons.
RE4 Main Characters
Each game in the Resident Evil series is famous for including a pair of protagonists and RE4 continues this trend. While the original game features Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, the sequel introduces players to Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield — Chris’ sister. Jill makes her return in Resident Evil 3 and Leon follows suit as the main hero of Resident Evil 4. Aside from Leon and the President’s daughter Ashley Graham, Resident Evil 4 features a cast of eclectic side characters and villains:
Heroes & Companions
- Leon S. Kennedy: Leon is one of the sole survivors of the Raccoon City incident and a former Raccoon City police officer. Following the Raccoon City incident, Leon receives training to become a member of STRATCOM — an arm of the US military that combats B.O.Ws.
- Ashley Graham: Ashley is the daughter of the President of the United States and Leon’s primary mission in Resident Evil 4. She’s kidnapped while traveling home from college and held hostage by the Los Illuminados terrorist organization.
- Luis Serra: Dr. Luis Serra Navarro is a former Umbrella scientist and native to the rural region of Spain where the Los Illuminados group has taken hold. After leaving Umbrella he is recruited by Osmund Sadler to research the Las Plagas parasite. He decides to turn his back on Los Illuminados and assists Leon and Ashley in their escape and fight to stop Sadler.
- Ada Wong: Ada Wong is the assumed name of an infamous international spy. After first appearing in communication from Dr. John Clemens in the original Resident Evil, she makes her series debut in Resident Evil 2 and assists Leon. Eventually Leon discovers she is working for Umbrella and not against them, and she is assumed dead after the Raccoon City incident. Ada’s reappearance in Resident Evil 4 raises questions as to where her true loyalties lie.
- Jack Krauser: Jack Krauser is the U.S. Special Forces agent who mentors and trains Leon during his recruitment into STRATCOM. Krauser is a decorated military veteran and renowned hand-to-hand combat expert. Unbeknownst to Leon, Krauser is also an associate of the former Umbrella scientist and S.T.A.R.S head Albert Wesker and is responsible for kidnapping Ashley Graham.
- Ramon Salazar: Ramon Salazar is the 8th count of Valdelobos — the mountainous region of Spain where Resident Evil 4 takes place. His ancestors also worshipped the Las Plagas parasite and his castle serves as a base of operations for the Los Illuminados cult. He joins Osmund Sadler in his mission to spread the Las Plagas parasite as a Bio-Organic Weapon (B.O.W).
- Osmund Sadler: Osmund Sadler is the primary antagonist of Resident Evil 4. He is the leader of the Los Illuminados cult and terrorist organization. He hopes to enslave humanity through the use of the Las Plagas parasite and manipulates Ramon Salazar to help him.
Titles in the Resident Evil Series
Since beginning in 1996, Resident Evil continues to be one of the most popular video game franchises. The series has 8 main numbered entries and a slew of side stories and genre spinoffs. To date, the Resident Evil franchise includes:
- Resident Evil (1996)
- Resident Evil 2 (1998)
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999)
- Resident Evil Survivor (2000)
- Resident Evil – Code: Veronica (2000)
- Resident Evil Survivor 2 – Code: Veronica (2001)
- Resident Evil Gaiden (2001)
- Resident Evil (Remake) (2002)
- Resident Evil Zero (2002)
- Resident Evil: Dead Aim (2003)
- Resident Evil Outbreak (2003)
- Resident Evil Outbreak: File #2 (2004) /em>
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007)
- Resident Evil 5 (2009)
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (2009)
- Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (2011)
- Resident Evil: Revelations (2012)
- Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (2012)
- Resident Evil 6 (2012)
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (2015)
- Umbrella Corps (2016)
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (2017)
- Resident Evil 2 (Remake) (2019)
- Resident Evil 3 (Remake) (2020)
- Resident Evil: Resistance (2020)
- Resident Evil Village (2021)
- Resident Evil Re:Verse (2022)
- Resident Evil 4 (Remake) (2023)
Resident Evil 4 Cheats and Unlockables
Resident Evil 4 features a number of unlockables that players can access after completing certain in-game challenges and conditions. These unlocks are standard across all versions of the game, regardless of platform.
Unlockable: Professional Difficulty
Beat the game on any difficulty to unlock the Professional difficulty mode. This is the hardest difficulty for RE4.
Unlockable: New Game Plus
Saving the game after completing the main story creates a “Clear” file that players can load a new game from for New Game Plus. When you start, Leon will retain all items, ammo, weapons, upgraes, and treasures from the previous playthrough.
Completing the following conditions or challenges unlocks these weapons for sale at the Mysterious Stranger’s shop in RE4.
- Chicago Sweeper – Beat the game on Professional difficulty and earn “A” Rank
- Handcannon – Beat the game on Professional difficulty without using bonus weapons
- Primal Knife – Find and destroy all 16 Clockwork Castellans
Complete the following conditions or challenges to unlock these costume options for Leon and Ashley. Some costume items have bonuses that affect gameplay.
- Jacket – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Shirt – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Pinstripe – Unlocks after finishing the game once. Gives Leon the “Hat Trick” animation when reloading the Chicago Sweeper
- Jacket (Ashley) – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Jacketless (Ashley) – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Armor (Ashley) – Beat the game on Hardcore difficulty with “A” Rank. Makes Ashley immune to any incoming attacks and prevents enemies from being able to carry her away
- Glasses (Lexington) – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Glasses (square) – Beat the game on Standard difficulty with “A” Rank
- Glasses (round) – Beat the game on Hardcore difficulty with “A” Rank
- Sunglasses (frameless) – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Sunglasses (round) – Beat the game on Standard difficulty
- Face Guard – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Iron Helmet – Beat the game on Standard difficulty with “A” Rank
- Flight Helmet – Beat the game on Hardcore difficulty
- Skull Mask – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Foam Mask – Beat the game on Standard difficulty
- Surgical Mask – Beat the game on Hardcore difficulty
- Eye Patch – Unlocks after finishing the game once
- Flight Cap – Beat the game on Standard difficulty
- Knitted Hat – Beat the game on Standard difficulty with “A” Rank
- Gas Mask – Beat the game on Professional difficulty. Enables aim-assist
- Wolf Tail – Beat the game on Assisted difficulty with “S+” Rank. Increases melee attack power
- Deer Antlers – Beat the game on Standard with “S+” Rank. Increases knife attack power
- Chicken Hat – Beat the game on Hardcore difficulty with “S+” Rank. Decreases damage received
- Cat Ears – Unlocks after finishing the game on Professional difficulty with “S+” Rank. Enables infinite ammo for reloadable weapons
- Sunglasses (Cat Eye – Ashley) – Unlocks after finishing the game once. Makes Ashley immune to Flash Grenades
Unlockable: Exclusive Weapon Upgrades
The following upgrades the exclusive “final” uprade for each of RE4‘s weapons. The final upgrades can be unlocked in one of two ways and, once unlocked, will still need to be purchased.
- Option 1 – Unlock every other upgrade for the weapon to unlock the exclusive upgrade
- Option 2 – Exchange the Exclusive Upgrade Ticket (purchased for 30 Spinel from the Mysterious Stranger) to unlock the exclusive upgrade
- SG-09 R – Increase the critical rate by 5x (80,000 Pesetas)
- Punisher – Penetrate through 5 targets (70,000 Pesetas)
- Red 9 – Increase power by 1.5x (100,000 Pesetas)
- Blacktail – Increase power by 1.5x (100,000 Pesetas)
- Matilda – Increase ammo capacity by 2x (70,000 Pesetas)
- W-870 – Increase power by 2x (80,000 Pesetas)
- Riot Gun – Increase power by 1.5x (80,000 Pesetas)
- Striker – Increase ammo capacity by 2x (60,000 Pesetas)
- SR M1903 – Increase power by 2x (100,000 Pesetas)
- Stingray – Increase rate of fire by 2x (60,000 Pesetas)
- CQBR Assault Rifle – Increase power by 1.5x (100,000 Pesetas)
- TMP – Increase power by 1.5x (100,000 Pesetas)
- LE5 – Penetrate through 5 targets (80,000 Pesetas)
- Chicago Sweeper – Infinite Ammunition (10,000 Pesetas)
- Broken Butterfly – Increase power by 1.5x (100,000 Pesetas)
- Killer 7 – Increase critical rate by 5x (77,700 Pesetas)
- Handcannon – Infinite Ammunition (10,000 Pesetas)
- Combat Knife – Increase attack speed by 1.5x (60,000 Pesetas)
- Fighting Knife – Increase power by 2x (80,000 Pesetas)
- Primal Knife – Becomes indestructable (10,000 Pesetas)
- Bolt Thrower – Incease ammo capacity by 2x (60,000 Pesetas)
Stop the Village Attack Early
On New Game Plus (starting a new game on a “Clear” save file) players can skip the Village assault in Chapter 1 with a well-placed rifle shot. Once the assault begins, immediately run into the house to trigger the Chainsaw Villager to appear. Run upstairs and dive out the window on the right.While standing on the low roof, take out a scoped rifle and aim towards the Church. Shooting the bell in the tower will cause the villagers to head back to the church before the 4 minutes are up.
Kill Salazar with a Gold Egg
Throwing a Gold Egg at Salazar and succesfully hitting him with it will deplete roughly 70% of his health and place him into a stun state. From here, simply use your most powerful weapons and finish him off with virtually no resistance.