Rising Star Games announces that Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon for Nintendo DS is in development and should be available in Europe this September. Those of us who already enjoyed the game in North America will have to wait for the sequel if it does indeed come out.
Rune Factory is a twist on the classic Harvest Moon formula by introducing fantasy RPG elements. You will have to improve your skills both as a farmer and a fighter while saving the village of Kardia from hunger and monsters. The game will take full advantage of the DS touch screen as well as the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Here’s what the developer had to say:
About Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon:
You awaken to find yourself in an unfamiliar village known as Kardia. Wearing nothing more than the tattered clothes on your back, you have no memory of who you are or how you arrived.
A strange but beautiful young woman by the name of Mist comes to your aid and offers you food and water in return for helping her on her land by planting crops and clearing her fields. As you tend the land and plough the fields, you grow stronger and your skills improve. However, for some reason, you do recall a time when you felt more comfortable with a sword in your hand.
You have a natural gift for combat and your talent soon comes to the attention of the local mayor. With nearby caves and ruins overrun by monsters, Mayor Godwin has decreed that no adventurer can set foot into the dark spaces without a special permit.
Battling against these fierce beasts is very important to your survival (and to the gameplay) but making friends with them is essential to your farm life. You will also upgrade your skills as you master swords, spears and farm tools.
It will take you many, many hours of hard work to earn Mayor Godwin’s approval but the secrets inside the caves beckon and perhaps the deepest one of them holds the key to unlocking your past.
• Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon is a Nintendo DS exclusive title which takes the world of Harvest Moon and turns it upside down in a unique fantasy world.
• Includes fundamental Harvest Moon gameplay: growing crops, tending livestock, making friends and getting married.
• In this game, the developers have created a fantasy world in which the player exists rather than the RPG standard where you merely play the role of a hero and work your way through the storyline.
• RPG aspects include collecting materials to create new items, equipment & furniture.
• The player must battle and capture monsters, attend to them in the village and harness their energy in order to bring peace to the land.
• Contains a real-time Action Battle system for equipping yourself with skills & equipment, fighting monsters & casting magic spells.
• Gameplay makes heavy use of the Nintendo DS stylus allowing players to fleece their sheep and pet animals directly.
• Communication with other characters plays a massive part in this game. You can go to local festivals & go out on dates.
• The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection allows you to send e-mails, screenshots and messages to other players.