The Spiderwick Chronicles
Three Stray Sods can be found in the grassy open field in Forest Road and five are in the Deep Woods. Sods always guard a brown bush that conceals a hidden area. Before catching a Sod, you must run around it to make it dizzy. You will know it is working when a spiraling mist appears above it and the bush opens. Then, capture it.
Only Simon can find Knockers. The first one is in a cave at the Quarry. You must extinguish the lava with your Splattergun, and the Knocker will come out to give two Boomstones. The other Knocker is at the end of the Cellar Tunnels. You will find a note saying the Knocker will only come out if you “ring” the crystal with a stone. Look behind you to see the crystal. Throw a Boomstone at it, and the Knocker will come out.
Unlocking the Antique Saber
If you already have Thimbletack’s Jack, go to the bars with alternating electric currents. Go to the third bar, and quickly run to its left. Look behind, and you will see another platform. Keep following it until you find a hook where you can aim your jack. Swing to the other side, and an intermission sequence will show the Antique Saber has been unscrewed. You will also find the last two cockroaches here.
When you catch a particular faerie for the first time, you must paint it in order to record it in the Field Guide. There is a time limit; do not spend too much time painting small details because the paint will slowly spread over it. A glowing sphere will appear on a faerie if it has not been recorded yet. Once a faerie is recorded, you do not have to paint it again the next time you catch it.
The River Troll
On your way to the Quarry to rescue Simon, you will pass the river with two sprites flying around it. At this point it is crucial that you record the Will o’ the Wisp. After you cross it, Jared will sense something but ignore it. You will then see the River Troll wake up. After you escape with Simon and return to the River, the River Troll will block your way. The only way to cross is to make it sleep by feeding it ten Goblins. Keep using the Will o’ Wisp you caught earlier to lure the Goblins to the River Troll. You must do this every time you cross the river unless you turn it into stone. To do this, you have to use Simon’s Splattergun to push it towards the sunlight. When it is out of the shade, an intermission sequence will start with it turning to stone.
The Cypress Tree folk are found in the middle of the pond in the Deep Woods. It will teleport you to the Griffin’s perch. The Oak Tree Folk are also in the Deep Woods but are blocked by brown bushes, each guarded by a Stray Sod. This one will lead you to the end of the Cellar Tunnels.
After you defeat Mulgarath, switch to Jared, and talk to Hogsqueal on the tree in front of the house. He will ask you to bring him Redcap’s hat. You can find it in the kitchen.
Pond Skater Sprites
After entering the Forest Road from the mansion, keep running straight until you reach a pond that is blocked by a log. Wait there until the Pond Skater is close enough to catch. The other ones are at the ponds in the Deep Forest and the bottom of the Quarry.
Mulgarath will chase you. Run toward the kitchen, and use the dumbwaiter. If some chairs block your way, hit them with your bat. Once you start going up, Mulgarath will turn into a snake and go after you; you must hurry. When you reach the study, three Goblins will try to attack you. Do not bother fighting them because they will just slow you down. The other side of the study will be blocked by furniture. Climb over the large bookcase, and keep running. The snake will catch you, but Thimbletack attacks it so that you can get out the window. Jump to the other ledge, and start climbing up the roof. When you reach the top, run to the ladder, and start climbing. A sequence from the movie will play showing Mulgarath getting eaten by Hogsqueal.
After recording Waffleflea (Flower-Wing near the mansion), he will challenge you to a race. After you have released him, he will appear in front of the house. Talk to him, and he will ask you to run through the waypoints (the glowing green spots around the house) until you reach the main gate. An easy way to defeat him is to immediately catch him after you have finished talking, or use a Dash ability, then run through the waypoints.
Accomplish the indicated achievement to get the corresponding number of Gamerscore points:
- Chapter One Complete (10 points): Find the Field Guide.
- Chapter Two Complete (10 points): Obtain the Monocle.
- Chapter Three Complete (10 points): Burn the Field Guide.
- Chapter Four Complete (10 points): Find Aunt Lucinda.
- Chapter Five Complete (10 points): Tame the Griffin.
- Chapter Six Complete (10 points): Return to the Mansion.
- Chapter Seven Complete (10 points): Defeat Mulgarath!
- Chapter Eight Complete (80 points): Complete the Field Guide.
- Roach Killer (10 points): Collect 10 Cockroaches.
- Roach Conqueror (10 points): Collect 25 Cockroaches.
- Roach Master (30 points): Collect 50 Cockroaches.
- Gobstone Enthusiast (10 points): Collect 25 Gobstones.
- Gobstone Collector (10 points): Collect 50 Gobstones.
- Gobstone Fanatic (30 points): Collect 100 Gobstones.
- Ball Bearings Enthusiast (10 points): Collect 25 Ball Bearings.
- Ball Bearings Collector (10 points): Collect 50 Ball Bearings.
- Ball Bearings Fanatic (30 points): Collect 100 Ball Bearings.
- Faerie Fruit Enthusiast (10 points): Collect 10 Faerie Fruit.
- Faerie Fruit Collector (20 points): Collect 20 Faerie Fruit.
- Faerie Fruit Fanatic (50 points): Collect 40 Faerie Fruit.
- Goblin Killer (10 points): Collect 100 Goblin Teeth.
- Goblin Conqueror (20 points): Collect 250 Goblin Teeth.
- Goblin Master (50 points): Collect 500 Goblin Teeth.
- Fire Salamander Collector (30 points): Collect 10 Fire Salamanders.
- Leatherwing Collector (10 points): Record all Leatherwing Sprites.
- Royal Orchid Collector (10 points): Record all Royal Orchid Sprites.
- Flower-Winged Sprite Collector (10 points): Collect all Flower-Winged Sprites.
- Flower-Head Collector (10 points): Record all Flower-Head Sprites.
- Will O’ The Wisp Collector (10 points): Record all Will O’ The Wisps.
- Bellflower Collector (10 points): Record all Bellflower Sprites.
- Stray Sod Collector (10 points): Record all Stray Sod.
- Sprout Collector (10 points): Record all Sprout Sprites.
- Beetle Mimic Collector (10 points): Record all Beetle Mimic Sprites.
- Pond Skater Collector (10 points): Record all Pond Skater Sprites.
- Fire Salamander Master (10 points): Complete the Fire Salamander page in the Field Guide.
- Cockatrice Research (20 points): Complete the Cockatrice page of the Field Guide.
- Griffin Tamer (10 points): Complete the Griffin page in the Field Guide.
- Redcap Recording (10 points): Complete the Redcap page in the Field Guide.
- River Troll Master (10 points): Complete River Troll page in the Field Guide.
- Knocker Unlocker (10 points): Talk to both Knockers.
- Green Thumb (40 points): Complete Garden Sprites quest.
- Goblin Trapper (20 points): Trap a Goblin inside a Toadstool Ring.
- Goblin Distracter (20 points): Send a Goblin over a cliff with a Distract Sprite.
- Goblin Roaster (20 points): Send a Goblin into a Fire Salamander with a Distract Sprite.
- Tour of Arenas (20 points): Complete a multiplayer match in every ISL Arena.
- ISL Master (50 points): Finish an ISL match in which each player scores 50+ points.
- ISL Champion (100 points): Score 100 points in a “Sprites and Goblins” ISL Arena match without taking damage.
- Interior Decorator (50 points): Fully decorate Thimbletack’s house.
- Slime Boy (10 points): Obtain Hobgoblin spit for Simon.
- Phlegm Face (10 points): Obtain Hobgoblin spit for Mallory.