To get the "Redemption" (good) ending, you must perform as many good actions as possible and kill as few humans as possible, like sparing the lives of soldiers who surrender voluntarily and saving women and children. You can also perform good actions by exploring the environment, or eavesdropping on the stories NPCs tell in the cities around the metro. You will know you performed a good action when you see a brief flash of white after someone finishes a story or you save the life of a human. The following is a list of some of the actions that cause the gain and loss of morality points. Note: Completing all actions listed below are not required to get the best ending, but performing as many as possible will improve the chances of getting the best ending. If you do not perform enough good actions, you will get the "C'est La Vie" (bad) ending.
- Being generous with bullets (give to beggars)
- Doing exactly what NPCs instruct
- Finding hidden ammo caches on "Quarantine"
- Listening to dialogue in populated areas (exploration)
- Listening to NPC stories
- Playing musical instruments
- Rescuing women and children
- Returning the crying child's teddy bear in "Venice"
- Seeing all visions in "Dead City"
- Sparing surrendering soldiers
- Successfully complete "Bridge" without killing humans
- Successfully complete "Facility" without killing humans
- Successfully complete "Revolution" without killing humans
- Successfully complete "Separation" without killing humans
- Killing humans
- Killing surrendering soldiers
- Stealing in populated areas
Search the indicated locations to find all 43 of Artyom's hidden diary pages:
1. Chapter 1 - Sparta: After meeting a comrade with a rifle, you will need to use an elevator to continue the mission. Look on the chair to the right of the elevator (before using it) to find a diary page.
2. Chapter 2 - Ashes: Before using the ladder at the start of the chapter to exit through the sewer grate, continue down the path instead. Use the lighter to clear away the webs, and look in the dark corner on the right to find a diary page.
3. Chapter 3 - Pavel: After collecting throwing knives from a dead body, look across the chamber to see a wooden crate with a diary page on top.
4. Chapter 4 - Reich: At the beginning of the chapter, check the desk straight ahead to find a diary page.
5. Chapter 5 - Separation: After separating from your female comrade, you will need to get through an area full of enemies. Look inside the second story of the base building to find a diary page on an old terminal.
6. Chapter 5 - Separation: When you encounter a man who surrenders before reaching the exit of the area, look on the desk near the man to find a diary page.
7. Chapter 6 - Facility: Near the end of the chapter, you will need to activate a switch. Before continuing to meet Pavel, look inside a nearby optional room to find a diary page on a desk.
8. Chapter 7 - Torchlight: After climbing the subway car, check the skeleton on the right to find a diary page.
9. Chapter 7 - Torchlight: After leaving Pavel behind to turn on the power, you will enter a eerie nesting ground. Look left just after entering the area to find a dead body with a diary page.
10. Chapter 8 - Echoes: Check the bar top near the start of the chapter to find a diary page.
11. Chapter 8 - Echoes: After the quick flashback cutscene, look on the ground next to Pavel to find a diary page.
12. Chapter 9 - Bolshoi: When Pavel says to continue onward after getting past two sentries, step through a blanket to find several bunks. Check the lower left bunk bed to find a diary page.
13. Chapter 9 - Bolshoi: Outside the theater, look on a bench before going inside to find a diary page.
14. Chapter 11 - Revolution: After encountering three enemies, continue down the stairs, but stop before entering the next guarded area. Near the area's exit door is a desk with a diary page on it.
15. Chapter 11 - Revolution: When you encounter a soldier working out, defeat the roaming soldiers, then check the back corner of the room to find a diary page.
16. Chapter 11 - Revolution: After using the switch to get by the killer fans, check a desk near the switch to find a diary page.
17. Chapter 11 - Revolution: After getting past the fans and going down a ladder, you will reach two talking soldiers. Near the soldiers is a desk with a diary page on it.
18. Chapter 12 - Regina: Look for a doorway that is blocked by water. Get through the flooded area to find a dead body at the end of the path next to a vent cover with the diary page. Grab the diary page before you are ambushed.
19. Chapter 13 - Bandits: After rescuing a tied man and getting by the radiation-poisoned areas, look for an open bathroom with the diary page on a white suit.
20. Chapter 13 - Bandits: Go down the right path of the main railway when it splits, and look for a door leading into a room where a captured man is being tortured. Defeat the enemies, then grab the diary page next to the torture victim.
21. Chapter 14 - Dark Waters: At the beginning of the chapter, look on the boat as you board to find a diary page.
22. Chapter 15 - Venice: After being lead to a desk by an NPC, look to the left to find a box with a diary page.
23. Chapter 15 - Venice: The diary page is right where you find Pavel, near a strip club.
24. Chapter 16 - Sundown: Look for a wrecked ship with a red stripe. Near the tanker is another building guarded by tentacle creatures. Go inside the building, and check the right rooms to find a diary page on a desk.
25. Chapter 17 - Nightfall: Go inside the first building of the chapter (it contains a pair of night-vision goggles), and look for an optional room to the left of the fallen wall ramp. The diary page is in the left room, against the back wall on the ground.
26. Chapter 19 - Contagion: When you encounter a burning area where soldiers are patrolling, one guard will have his back to a subway car inside a large square room. The diary page is inside that subway car.
27. Chapter 20 - Quarantine: After talking with some NPCs, they will lead you into a crowd. However, do not follow them just yet. Instead, turn around to find the diary page on a desk.
28. Chapter 20 - Quarantine: Before meeting up with Khan, look across the door to find a diary page on a desk.
29. Chapter 21 - Khan: When meeting with Khan and he is looking up in a curved chamber, search for a locker near a corpse to find a diary page.
30. Chapter 22 - The Chase: After boarding the train car, look to the right to find a box with a diary page on it.
31. Chapter 23 - The Crossing: After hearing a small fragment of dialogue about wearing clothes past the ad sign, you will be directed up a flight of stairs. Check the alcove to the right of the stairs to find some dead bodies and a diary page among the corpses.
32. Chapter 23 - The Crossing: While on the ice, you will find a sunken boat sticking halfway out of the ice floor. Look at the top of it to find a diary page.
33. Chapter 24 - Bridge: Before going up the escalators, look for an office on the left to find a diary page on a desk inside.
34. Chapter 25 - Depot: After a mysterious figure appears behind bars, a door will open allowing you to continue. Continue through the newly opened passage, and enter the first door leading left. Look in the back corner of the room with the bars to find a diary page.
35. Chapter 26 - The Dead City: Early in the chapter, look for a table with a phone to find a diary page next to it.
36. Chapter 26 - The Dead City: After being attacked by the mutant, just as you step off the ladder onto the building roof, look by its nest to find a diary page.
37. Chapter 27 - Red Square: At the beginning of the chapter, look to the left, and search the skeletons in the catacomb to find a diary page.
38. Chapter 27 - Red Square: After going down into a flooded room, an enemy will run by you. Investigate the enemy's location to find a tunnel entrance. Keep exploring down the tunnel to find a corpse, with a diary page right next to the body.
39. Chapter 28 - The Garden: After a brief encounter with the Mother, it will leave before the final confrontation. Look to the left to find a diary page near a dead body.
40. Chapter 28 - The Garden: Near the end of the chapter, you will need to go up a set of stairs. Look left after going up the stairs to find a diary page.
41. Chapter 29 - Polis: Before entering the double doors and stepping into the area full of people, look to the left to find an old couch with a diary page.
42. Chapter 30 - D6: After the speech, check the radio next to the weapon merchant before continuing to find a diary page near it.
43. Chapter 30 - D6: After destroying the tanks and jumping onto the final platform, look to the right to find the final diary page near an ammo cache.
Search the indicated locations to find and play all 17 musical instruments and get the "Musician" achievement. There are only four types of instruments: Accordion, Balalaika, Guitar, and Piano. Note: There is no progress tracker for the instruments -- so make sure you do not forget any of them. Additionally, finding and playing them through chapter select will not work (even if you play the chapter until the end). You must find and play all instruments in the correct order during one playthrough.
Shortly after the "Facility" chapter begins, you will reach an area with some guards. Sneak past them until you come to two guards who are blocking your way. Let them finish talking, which takes approximately a minute. They will then split up, and one of them will go back to where you came from. Follow him to his locker. When he opens the locker, a gun will fall out. Eliminate the guard, and take the gun to get the "A Present" achievement.Easy "Back To The Past" achievement
During "The Dead City" chapter, there are a total of seven visions you must see to get the "Back To The Past" achievement. The visions make the world around you feel more alive for a few seconds. Everything will get brightly colored, and the environment will change to what it once was. Four of the visions are triggered automatically, and there is no way to miss them. So only three of them need to actually be found. The first one can be found after the playground vision, once you come out of the underground area, in a house to your right (before the car accident vision). The second one is a woman in the shower in a house on the left, after the car accident vision. The third one can be found when taking the stairs down the roof, in a small side room. You will get the achievement after seeing the seventh vision inside the old Metro.
During "The Chase" chapter, you must kill all enemies to get the "Bloodlust" achievement. The only tricky part is at the very beginning of the chapter, before getting on the train. There will be three waves of enemies. In the first two waves, you must kill the eight enemies on the railcars. In the third wave, you must kill the five enemies on the train (one on the back of the train, four standing at the railing). It is recommended to use military rounds instead of the normal ammo, as it does a lot more damage and will make completing this task much easier. Once you are on the train, kill all the remaining enemies to get the "Bloodlust" achievement once you reach the end of the train.Easy "Equipped" achievement
There are a total of 16 equipment stashes scattered across two chapters in the game: Sundown (9 stashes) and Nightfall (7 stashes). After finding all stashes in Sundown, you must complete the chapter. Otherwise, the progress will be lost. Some of the stashes are actual crates, while others have a weapon or ammo on the ground. There are a lot of other crates and ammo locations in the swamps, but only the 16 shown in the video below count towards getting the "Equipped" achievement.
After the Boss fight with the bear in "The Garden" chapter, you will see some Watchmen attacking the back of the bear. Kill all three Watchmen to get the "Forest Guardian" achievement.Easy "Forgotten" achievement
Shortly after the "Quarantine" chapter begins, you will go past a crowd of people. In the next room are four ammo stashes. Find all four ammo stashes to get the "Forgotten" achievement. The first one is behind the entry door (go down the stairs so the door closes and you can reach the ammo). The second is down the stairs, and behind a window. The third is on the far left side of the corridor. The fourth is in the same corridor, but on the right side (just a few steps away from the previous ammo stash).Easy "Freedom!" achievement
After going through the prison in the "Pavel" chapter, you will have to use an elevator. You will then be in an office area with a lot of guards. After eliminating the guards, you will need to open a gate with your comrade. Before opening the gate, check the control panel on the right. There is a red switch. Activate it to free the prisoners and get the "Freedom!" achievement.Easy "Nobody's Home" achievement
During the "Khan" chapter, you will reach a flooded underground area (after burning the spider webs and breaking a barrier). Then, a phone will start ringing. Just ignore the phone and keep walking to get the "Nobody's Home" achievement.Easy "Patron Of The Arts" achievement
During the "Bolshoi" chapter, you will go through a theater. In the front row, on the right side, is an open seat. Sit down, and wait approximately 10 minutes until the show is over. Do not go anywhere near the exit door. Shortly after the announcer says "Thank you and please come again", you will get the "Patron Of The Arts" achievement.Easy "Rain Man" achievement
During the entire "Bridge" chapter, you cannot kill any enemies to get the "Rain Man" achievement. The chapter is close to the end of the game. You can basically do two things to avoid killing any enemies: sneak around enemies quietly or run through the level as fast as possible. Running is easier and you will not run out of air (your gas mask consumes air over time, and you will die if it is empty). Just do not attack any of the enemies, and try not to get hit -- and use med packs, if necessary.Easy "Reunion" achievement
Shortly after the "Venice" chapter begins, you will have to go to a strip club. Instead of going inside the strip club, go left to find a man offering a mini-game for 10 coins. The goal is to simply kill all the mice within the time limit. Win the mini-game three times, and the man will give you a teddy bear. Give the teddy bear to the child with his mother in the same room to get the "Reunion" achievement.Easy "Revenge" achievement
During the "Red Square" chapter, you will hunt down Pavel. After wounding him, he will be attacked by demon hands. You can either walk towards him to save his life, or stand back and watch him dying. To get the "Revenge" achievement, Pavel must die. Thus, stand back and wait until a new cutscene begins.Easy "Savior" achievement
At the end of the "Contagion" chapter, you will go through a burning area and encounter Lesnitsky. He will be holding a hostage. You can either shoot him in the head or wait for instructions. To get the "Savior" achievement, you cannot shoot him. Just stand still and wait until he tells you to take off your gas mask. Take it off manually, and he will release the hostage.Easy "Scram" achievement
During the "Regina" chapter, you will drive a railcar. Eventually, you will have to push another railcar out of the way. At that point, the Watchmen (mutated dog-like creatures) will attack you. To get the "Scram" achievement, you cannot allow any of them to reach your railcar -- so you have to kill them very quickly. It is recommended to use military rounds instead of the normal ammo, as it does a lot more damage and will make completing this task much easier.Easy "Van Helsing" achievement
At the beginning of "The Dead City" chapter, you will see a vision of a playground and some children. Then, you will have to drop down into a small underground area. You can find the Helsing at the very end of this underground area, in a corner. Shortly afterwards, you will encounter a demon (large winged creature) on a rooftop. Weaken the demon with your other weapons, then kill it with the Helsing to get the "Van Helsing" achievement. Note: If the demon dies too early, you can restart the checkpoint and try again.Steam achievements
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding achievement. To view your achievements and stats in Steam, select "Community", "My profile", "View all my games", then the game and view stats.
- Soldier: Kill 100 Human Enemies.
- Antibiotic: Kill 100 Mutants.
- Shadow: Stealthily kill 15 Enemies.
- Inferno: Set 2 Enemies on fire at once.
- Tesla: Break 50 Lights.
- Edison: Turn off 40 Lights without breaking them.
- Ever Vigilant: Disarm 10 Traps.
- Businessman: Make 100 Purchases.
- Walking Bank: Collect 1000 Military Rounds.
- Musician: Use all Musical Instruments in the game.
- First Draft: Write 10 of Artyom's hidden Diary pages.
- Published: Complete all 43 of Artyom's hidden Diary pages.
- Rabbit: Complete training sequence.
- Not A Rabbit: Finish the ASHES level without taking a hit.
- Clean Escape: Escape the chasing Nazis on the REICH level without being caught once.
- Invisible Intruder: Complete the SEPARATION level without killing or raising alarm.
- A Present: Take the Custom Pistol from the Locked Box.
- Invisible Savior: Complete the FACILITY level without killing or raising alarm.
- Tortoise: Make 10 Spiders flip belly-up.
- Mouse: Complete the ECHOES level undetected by the Watchmen.
- Patron of the Arts: Watch the entire Theater Show.
- Derailed: Kill all armed enemies on the REVOLUTION level, including all reinforcements.
- Invisible Soldier: Complete the REVOLUTION level without killing and raising an alarm.
- Scram: Kill all Watchmen before they reach the Railcar.
- Commando: Rescue the Women and Children on the BANDITS level without raising alarm.
- Soup: Kill 5 Shrimp with Grenades.
- Reunion: Find and return the crying child's Teddy Bear.
- Diver: Fall in the Swamp 10 times.
- Equipped: Find all Equipment Stashes in the swamps.
- Forgotten: Find the Hidden Ammo in the abandoned part of the station on the QUARANTINE level.
- Bloodlust: Kill all the Reds on the THE CHASE level.
- Van Helsing: Kill a Demon with the Helsing.
- Rain Man: Complete the BRIDGE level without a kill.
- Back to the Past: See all Visions in the Dead City.
- True Spartan: Hold the Platform without dying.
- No shooting allowed: Kill 10 enemies in a row with Throwing Knives.
- Gunslinger: Kill at least one Enemy with each Weapon available in the game.
- Weapon Smith: Install all possible Customizations for a Weapon.
- Shadow Ranger: Complete the game without killing any Humans unless forced to.
- Survivalist: Complete the game in Ranger Hardcore.
- Ranger Elite: Complete the game in Ranger Mode.
- Freedom!: Free the Prisoners.
- Within a Hair of Death: Escape from the Red Line.
- Big Momma: Kill the Rhino.
- Savior: Remove your mask when Lesnitsky demands it.
- Nobody's Home: Ignore the Phone Call in the Anomaly.
- Secret: Find out about the Reds' plans.
- Revenge: Kill Pavel.
- Forest Guardian: Save the Bear from the Watchmen after the fight.
- Revelation: Make Moskvin tell the truth with help from the Dark One.
- C'est la vie: Destroy D6.
- Redemption: Save D6.