Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding Cup:
- Star Cup: Successfully complete the Flower and Mushroom Cup with a trophy.
- Special Cup: Successfully complete the Star Cup with a trophy.
- Leaf Cup: Successfully complete the Banana and Shell Cup with a trophy.
- Lightning Cup: Successfully complete the Leaf Cup with a trophy.
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding character:
- Baby Daisy: Get a "One Star" rank or better in all 50cc cups. Alternately, win 1,950 races.
- Baby Luigi: Unlock eight Expert Staff Ghosts in Time Trials mode. Alternately, win 3,150 races.
- Birdo: Play 16 different courses in Time Trials mode. Alternately, get 250 Wi-Fi wins or win 1,350 races.
- Bowser Jr.: Get a "One Star" rank or better in all 100cc Retro Cups. Alternately, win 3,450 races.
- Daisy: Win the 150cc Special Cup. Alternately, win 2,850 races.
- Diddy Kong: Successfully complete all 50cc Retro Cups. Alternately, win 450 races.
- Dry Bones: Win the 100cc Leaf Cup. Alternately, win 1,050 races.
- Dry Bowser: Get a "One Star" rank or better in all 150cc Wii Cups. Alternately, win 4,350 races.
- Funky Kong: Unlock four Expert Staff Ghosts in Time Trials mode. Alternately, win 2,250 races.
- King Boo: Win the 50cc Star Cup. Alternately, win 750 races.
- Mii (Outfit A): Win the 100cc Special Cup. Alternately, win 1,650 races.
- Mii (Outfit B): Unlock all 32 Expert Staff Ghosts in Time Trials mode. Alternately, win 5,100 races.
- Rosalina: Get a "One Star" rank or better in the Wii Cup Series. Alternately, have a saved game file from Super Mario Galaxy and win 50 Grand Prix races; or win 4,950 races.
- Toadette: Play on all 32 courses in Time Trials mode. Alternately, get 1,000 Wi-Fi wins or win 2,550 races.
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding bike:
- Daytripper: Win 2,700 races.
- Dolphin Dasher (medium): Win the Mirror Star Cup. Alternately, win 3,750 races.
- Jet Bubble (small): Win the Mirror Leaf Cup. Alternately, win 3,900 races.
- Kamek (small): Defeat all the Nintendo ghosts in the Star Cup.
- Magikruiser (small): Play on eight different courses in Time Trials mode. Alternately, win 900 races.
- Phantom (large): Win the Mirror Special Cup. Alternately, win 4,050 races.
- Quacker (small): Win the 150cc Star Cup. Alternately, win 2,400 races.
- Shooting Star (Twinkle Star, large): Win the 100cc Star Cup. Alternately, win 1,500 races.
- Sneakster (Nitrocycle, medium): Get a "One Star" rank or better in all 100cc Wii Grand Prix Cups. Alternately, win 3,300 races.
- Spear (Torpedo, large): Unlock 12 Expert Staff Ghost in Time Trials mode. Alternately, win 3,600 races.
- Zip Zip (Rapide, medium): Win the 100cc Lightning Cup. Alternately, win 2,100 races.
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding kart:
- Aero Glider (large): Get a "One Star" rank or better in all 150cc Retro Cups.
- Blue Falcon (small): Win the Mirror Lightning Cup. Alternately, win 4,200 races.
- Cheep Charger (small): Get a "One Star" rank or better in all 50cc Retro Cups. Alternately, win 1,800 races.
- Honeycoupe (Dragonetti, large): Win the 150cc Lightning Cup. Alternately, win 3,000 races.
- Jetsetter: Win 4,500 races.
- Piranha Prowler (large): Win the 50cc Special Cup. Alternately, win 600 races.
- Royal Racer (medium): Win the 150cc Leaf Cup.
- Sprinter (B Dasher Mk 2, medium): Unlock 24 Expert Staff Ghosts in Time Trials mode. Alternately, win 4,650 races.
- Tiny Titan (small): Unlock one Expert Staff Ghost in Time Trials mode. Alternately, get 50 Wi-Fi wins or win 1,200 races.
- Turbo Blooper (medium): Get a "One Star" rank or better in the 50cc Leaf Cup. Alternately, win 300 races.
Win all 150cc Cups to unlock Mirror mode. Alternately, win 4,800 races.Expert Staff Ghosts
Defeat a Normal Staff Ghosts with a time at least seven seconds faster to unlock the Expert Staff Ghost for that course.Alternate title screen and ending sequence
Get a "One Star" rank or better in all Cups, including those in Mirror mode to unlock an alternate title screen and ending sequence.Special credits
Win all trophies in a class to view the credits and see a congratulations screen featuring your Mii with Mario and Peach. Win all Grand Prix Cups to get another congratulations screen featuring your Mii with all the racers.Easier control
If you experience turning, wheelie, or trick issues using the Wii Wheel, try using the Nunchuck and Wii-mote.Quick start
When the countdown starts, wait until the "2" begins to disappear, then hold 2 to get a boost at the start of the race.
When the timer to begin the race just starts, hold 1 + 2. As soon as it is about to say "Go", release both buttons and press 2 as you would normally do to start the race. If done correctly, you will get a nice boost that will usually put you in first place in the 50cc and 100cc class. Note: This may require some practice.Quick recovery from collision
When you fall into an obstacle, press 2 precisely when you land to get a temporary boost.Quick recovery from POW Block
You must have drifting set to manual for this trick to work. Before the third strike from a POW Block, start to drift so that your kart or bike will be in the air for the third strike. When you land, you should only spin once and maintain about the same speed.
When an opponent uses a POW Block, it will spin you out on the third POW, causing you to lose an item and speed. However, if you perform a wheelie on a bike as soon as your hear the third POW, you will spin and lose your item but maintain your speed. Additionally, if you shake the Wii-mote, it will create a force field and protect you. Also, if you are off the ground (not jumping) from something such as a ramp, you will avoid the POW Block. -From: GregQuick recovery on bike after being hit
While on a bike, after you are hit or run into an item, perform a wheelie to increase your speed quickly.Drafting boost
To get a small boost while racing, get directly behind someone on a long straight road. You also cannot turn while doing this trick. If done correctly, you will see several blue streaks that fly behind you. Keep driving straight, and you will see a blue force field in front of you. You then will get a small boost.Easy hit
To score an automatic hit on anyone in a race, place a banana or fake item box immediately after you land from a DK Cannon. They will be forced to land on it.Use same character with more than one player
This glitch works because you are automatically placed on the character you last selected. First, make have player one choose the character desired. Next, deselect the character, and move off it. Have player two select the character. Go back one screen, then enter the character selection screen again. You should now both be on the same character. Then, have both players select the character. Note: This trick also works for three and four players.Changing Mii driver's class
Enter the Mii Channel, and change the weight of your Mii. This will cause your Mii driver in the game to change to the corresponding weight class and give you access to the corresponding new vehicles.Fast time in Coconut Mall
To get the Expert Staff Ghost on the Coconut Mall time trial, use the Wild Wing medium kart. Take a right into a store on the right side after the first escalator, then use a mushroom. You will see a Delfino tree person at the door.DK Summit shortcut
After you shoot out of the cannon and come up to the turn, go off the jump toppers on the left. This should send you soaring through the curve and give you a good lead.Hidden items in DS Delfino Square
Hit the crates on the side of the road with either your kart or a shell. A Super Mushroom will sometimes pop out, but very close to the edge.Koopa Cape shortcut
Once you go over the ramp leading into the fast stream, keep going around, and enter through the little arch with the ramp on the left. This requires something that gives speed, such as a Super Mushroom, Invincibility Star, or Golden Mushroom. Instead of going around the giant red hat, pass through the grass behind it, giving a straightaway path. This will help you win the race and improve your ghost times in Time Trials mode.Hidden items in Koopa Cape
After making the first jump, you will notice a few Goombas walking in place. Fire a shell at one to reveal either nothing or a Super Mushroom. You can also run into one if it is in the status of a Mega Mushroom, Invincibility Star, or Bullet Bill.
There are many leaf piles on the track. Run through one to reveal a Super Mushroom or Banana Peel. Once you get on top of the tree with the caterpillar creatures, an Invincibility Star may be found in one of the bushes on the left side of the treetop, but not on every lap. You may need to veer off to the left after hitting the bush because the star pops out jumping left. This is useful in getting far ahead of the group if in first place or to catch up if near last place.Hidden items in Mushroom Gorge
There are some Goombas on the track that contain Super Mushrooms or absolutely nothing.Using Triple Shells as ramming weapon
After you get a Triple Shell item of any color, press 2 so that all three are spinning around you. Before you launch them, you can use them to ram other cars. It does the same damage as if you launched them at an opponent.Avoiding Spiky Shells
When you are in first place and have a Spiky Shell coming at you, hit the brakes so the racers behind you will get stuck in the blast, allowing you to keep your lead.Defending against Blue Shells
This trick requires a Mushroom. The Blue Shell goes up and comes down. Before it hits, you will have time to use a Mushroom and avoid the shell. You should boost forward and the Blue Shell should explode behind you.
This trick requires some sort of speeding item, such as a Speed Mushroom. You must be in first place to get a Blue Shell targeted at you. Once the Blue Shell is above your head, use the speeding item just before it descends. It will make a large explosion behind you, but will miss. You can also avoid them by using the following tricks on the indicated courses:
- DK Summit: Go through the DK Cannon.
- N64: DK's Jungle Parkway: Go over the jumps over the yellow river.
- GCN: DK Mountain: Go through the DK Cannon.
- Rainbow Road: Go through the tunnel with the giant stars on each end.
You can block Red Shells by equipping an item behind you. Once you have an item, hold D-pad Left or D-pad Right. Items that work are Green Shells, Red Shells, and Bananas. Do not hold Fake Item Boxes or Bob-ombs behind you.Avoiding Red and Green Shells
To avoid a Red or Green Shell, go on a DK Cannon if one is available. The shell will disappear at the entrance. You can also use this trick for clouds. They will disappear above you on the cannons, and you will not be affected by them.Getting rid of clouds
If you have a cloud over your head, ram into another player to get rid of it.Team drafting boost
This trick requires two or more players. While playing in VS. Team racing, draft by following a friend somewhat closely from behind. Once you get the boost, go around him or her to take the lead in front of them. Have that friend draft behind you. Keep repeating this to quickly finish a race.Winning online
A win counts as long as points are added to your total score. For example, if you get fifth, or sometimes sixth, place in an online race, it is still considered a win. The same goes for Battle Online. You can be on the losing team, but if you scored enough coins or hits and it adds points to your score, then it can be a win.Golden Wii Wheel icon
After using the Wii Wheel extensively in all modes, a golden Wii Wheel will appear next to your name when you go online.Profile name stars
You can add a star next to your profile name on the results screen and the Wi-Fi races by completing all Grand Prix races with a certain rank:
- One star profile name: Earn a "One Star" rank in all Grand Prix races.
- Two star profile name: Earn a "Two Star" rank in all Grand Prix races.
- Three star profile name: Earn a "Three Star" rank in all Grand Prix races.
The following are requirements to get a "One Star", "Two Star", or "Three Star" rank:
- Get a final score of 53 or better.
- Lead most of the laps.
- Stay in first place for a good period of time.
- Do a lot of tricks on ramps.
- Avoid having to use Bullet Bills to catch up.
- Use lots of techniques such as wheelies, avoiding POW Blocks, etc.
- Do not fall off edges too much (one or two times is acceptable). If you get hit by many Spiny Shells and still win, this indicates that you are resistant and will probably have a high rank.
A perfect 60 is required for a "Three Star" rank. A "Two Star" rank ranges from 55 to 60. A "One Star" rank is 53 to 60 with most or all of these requirements.Expert Staff Ghost times
After beating the Normal Staff Ghosts by a certain margin of time, you can unlock the Expert Staff Ghosts. The following are the approximated times for unlocking them:
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:29.670
- Unlock Time: 01:25.742
Moo Moo Meadows
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:37.856
- Unlock Time: 01.33.571
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:16.110
- Unlock Time: 02.07.755
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:22.480
- Unlock Time: 02.15.681
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:44.777
- Unlock Time: 01.39.183
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:30.764
- Unlock Time: 02.24.788
DK's Snowboard Cross
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:34.693
- Unlock Time: 02.24.725
Wario's Gold Mine
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:19.583
- Unlock Time: 02.14.932
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 0:56.822
- Unlock Time: 01.48.791
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 03:03.022
- Unlock Time: 02.54.897
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:58.633
- Unlock Time: 02.50.229
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:28.237
- Unlock Time: 02.19.524
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:30.949
- Unlock Time: 02.21.681
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:16.802
- Unlock Time: 02.07.016
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 03:04.836
- Unlock Time: 02.55.017
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 03:05.895
- Unlock Time: 02.59.293
Dry Dry Ruins
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:34.233
- Unlock Time: 01.30.698
DS Yoshi Falls
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:16.461
- Unlock Time: 01.12.901
SNES Ghost Valley 2
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:06.595
- Unlock Time: 01.03.752
N64 Mario Raceway
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:14.799
- Unlock Time: 02.07.915
GCN Peach Beach
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:48.651
- Unlock Time: 02.37.784
GBA Shy Guy Beach
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:45.568
- Unlock Time: 01.39.255
DS Delfino Square
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:41.807
- Unlock Time: 02.33.107
GCN Waluigi Stadium
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:32.882
- Unlock Time: 02.24.645
N64 Sherbet Land
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:10.233
- Unlock Time: 02.01.141
GBA Bowser Castle 3
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:58.304
- Unlock Time: 02.50.637
N64 DK's Jungle Parkway
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:58.264
- Unlock Time: 02.49.028
GCN Mario Circuit
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:59.771
- Unlock Time: 01.55.267
DS Desert Hills
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 01:38.880
- Unlock Time: 01.34.828
DS Peach Gardens
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:34.894
- Unlock Time: 02.29.006
GCN DK Mountain
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 02:57.744
- Unlock Time: 02.50.248
N64 Bowser's Castle
- Normal Staff Ghost Time: 03:19.323
- Unlock Time: 03.06.723
SNES Mario Circuit 3