Go to the Barracks, and select the "View Soldiers" option. Choose a soldier, then select the "Customize" option. This can also be done from the "Customize" menu at the "Deploy" screen. Change the name of the soldier to one of the following names to unlock the corresponding hero. These new heroes will dramatically improve the unit's stats, and they also have a unique nickname. Note: Using these special heroes will prevent achievements from being earned.
Chris Kluwe: Enter "Chris Kluwe" as a name. Chris Kluwe is a punter for the Minnesota Vikings and a World Of Warcraft fan. He won hero unit privileges after defeating Firaxis' Garth DeAngelis in an online match.
Joe Kelly (Heavy): Enter "Joe Kelly" as a name. Joe Kelly is a popular comics author that has worked on Spider-Man, Superman, and many other famous characters.
Ken Levine (Sniper): Enter "Ken Levine" as a name. Ken Levine is the co-founder of Irrational Games, the developer of BioShock, Freedom Force, and System Shock 2.
Otto Zander (Assault): Enter "Otto Zander" as a name. Otto Zander is the hero and survivor of GuavaMoment's XCOM Let's Play series from the Something Awful Forumes.
Sid Meier (Support): Enter "Sid Meier" as a name. Sid Meier is the co-founder of Firaxis and creator of the Civilization series, Pirates series, and more.
If a UFO is spotted in a country you do not have much defense in or you want to lower panic somewhere else (by completing the mission to clear it), reload a previous saved game. The UFO should still appear, but it will usually be in a different location. You can keep reloading it until it is in a desired country.Evil Crysalid terrorists mission
During Terror missions that have evil Crysalid terrorists, you do not actually need to kill the Zombie Civilians to complete the mission. As long as all Alien forces have been defeated, the mission will end successfully.Achievements
Accomplish the indicated achievement to get the corresponding number of Gamerscore points:
- No Looking Back (100 points): Beat the game in Ironman mode on Classic or Impossible difficulty.
- Humanity's Savior (30 points): Beat the game on any difficulty.
- Earth First (60 points): Beat the game on Classic difficulty.
- Our Finest Hour (90 points): Beat the game on Impossible difficulty.
- Lone Wolf (20 points): Clear a UFO crash site with one soldier on Classic or Impossible difficulty.
- Bada Boom (10 points): Kill 50 aliens with explosive weapons.
- Welcoming Committee (20 points): Kill 150 aliens.
- Pale Horse (50 points): Kill 500 aliens.
- Shooting Stars (35 points): Shoot down 40 UFOs.
- Ain't No Cavalry Comin' (50 points): Have a soldier survive every mission in a full game.
- As A Scalpel (25 points): Earn the "Excellent" rating in every performance category on a terror mission.
- Edison (25 points): In a single game, complete every Research Project.
- All Employees Must Wash Hands... (10 points): In a single game, complete every Autopsy.
- Eye in the Sky (5 points): Launch a Satellite.
- All Together Now (10 points): Get satellite coverage over every country on one continent.
- Hunter/Killer (15 points): In a single game, shoot down one of each alien craft.
- Man No More (10 points): Build a suit of powered armor.
- We Happy Few (10 points): Complete a mission without losing a soldier.
- The Hardest Road (10 points): Advance one of your soldiers to Colonel rank.
- Worth Every Penny (20 points): Acquire 1000 credits in one month.
- Oppenheimer (20 points): Staff the Research Labs with 80 scientists.
- One Gun at a Time (20 points): Staff the Engineering Department with 80 engineers
- Skunkworks (20 points): In a single game, complete every Foundry project.
- You Have 5 Seconds to Comply (10 points): Build a S.H.I.V.
- Theory... (10 points): Build a Laboratory.
- ...and Practice (10 points): Build a Workshop.
- Wet Work (10 points): Complete a Very Hard abduction mission in five turns or less on Classic or Impossible difficulty.
- A Continental Fellow (50 points): Win the game from each of the 5 starting locations.
- What Wonders Await (5 points): Complete a Research Project.
- Up and Running (5 points): Build a base facility.
- Combat Ready (5 points): Build an item.
- Drums in the Deep (10 points): Gain access to the lowest level in your base.
- Happy to Oblige (15 points): Fulfill a Council request.
- Tables Turned (10 points): Shoot down a UFO.
- And So It Begins... (15 points): Complete the tutorial mission.
Additionally, there are 15 secret achievements:
- Xavier (25 points): Mind Control an Ethereal. Single player only.
- Meet New People. Then Kill Them. (10 points): Win a multiplayer match.
- Angel of Death (10 points): Kill an alien while flying. Single player only.
- Beyond the Veil (10 points): Find a soldier with the Gift.
- Prisoner of War (10 points): Capture a live alien.
- The Gatekeeper (10 points): Stun an Outsider.
- X Marks the Spot (10 points): Uncover the alien base's location.
- See All, Know All (10 points): Build the Hyperwave Relay.
- On the Shoulders of Giants (10 points): Build the Gollop Chamber.
- Ride the Lightning (10 points): Build a Firestorm.
- Poison Control (10 points): Cure poison on five soldiers in a single mission. Single player only.
- And Hell's Coming With Me (10 points): Successfully assault an Overseer UFO.
- Off My Planet (25 points): Recover the Hyperwave Beacon.
- The Volunteer (10 points): Make contact with the Ethereal hive mind.
- Flight of the Valkyries (10 points): Win a mission with an all-female squad. Single player only.
The following achievements require the "Slingshot" bonus downloadable content:
- New Friend (10 points): Complete Friends in Low Places.
- Bait the Hook (10 points): Complete Confounding Light.
- The Bigger They Are (20 points): Complete Gangplank.
- Rising Dragon (30 points): Take your new ally into the final challenge.
- All Aboard (30 points): Complete Confounding Light with more than 3 turns left on the timer.