At the start of a new game, go to the "safe zone" of the Ranger Station (the circle on the map where zombies cannot spawn/respawn). When you are in the parking lot of the Ranger Station, either run to the left or right while turning the camera in the direction you are running. When stamina is depleted, stop and rest until it completely refills. Repeat this process to continue to increase your cardio level. This process takes a while, but since the opening section of the game does not contain any tough zombies (plus day cycles do not occur until after you reach the church), this is a great time to build up the cardio stat. Having a high cardio level will give you more stamina for things such as running, climbing walls, and melee fighting.Exceeding maximum number of outposts
If you move to a large home base (County Fair or Snyder Truck Warehouse) with eight outposts, you can set them all up around whichever base you plan to move to before you actually move. If you are moving into a base with a low maximum outpost count (usually for scavenging purposes), just make sure you have all eight in place where you want them before moving, then move to a place with a lower maximum outpost count, and you will still have all eight outposts. Note: This glitch only works on the unpatched version of the game. You can delete all patches for the game by using the "Clear hard drive cache" code for the Xbox 360.Bonus Gamerpics
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding Gamerpic:
- Feral: Kill a Feral zombie-type.
- Juggernaut: Kill a Juggernaut zombie-type.
The Savini residence is a reference to Tom Savini, who was responsible for the make-up and special effects in Dawn Of The Dead and its sequels. The Snyder Trucking business is a reference to Zack Snyder, who remade Dawn Of The Dead.Evil Dead series reference
The Campbell Used Autos business is a reference to Bruce Campbell, who starred as Ash in the Evil Dead series.Plants vs. Zombies reference
One of the houses west of the Ascension Church has a line of sunflowers in front of a row of lawnmowers in its back yard.Shaun Of The Dead reference
The "Simon & Nick Landscaping" signs that can be found throughout the game are a reference to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, who play the main characters in Shaun Of The Dead.The Simpson's reference
Sam and other survivors occasionally say "Everything's coming up Milhouse!", which is a reference to an episode of The Simpsons where Milhouse says that line during a flood.The Walking Dead references
You can find a campaign sign reading "Richard Grimes for sheriff" on a front lawn. This is a reference to Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead. You can also find the Kirkman residence, which is a reference to Robert Kirkman, the creator of The Walking Dead graphic novels.Xbox 360 reference
Enter the house with the Plants vs. Zombies yard to find an Xbox 360 slim in the bedroom.Zombieland reference
The "Rule #1" achievement, awarded for reaching 7-stars in the Cardio attribute, is a reference to the Zombieland's main character's "#1 Rule", which was "Cardio".Avatar Awards
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding Avatar Award:
- Shark Hoodie: Train another enclave at your dojo.
- Swine and Bovine Mask: Build an outpost in a Swine & Bovine.
- Zombie Mask: Visit the cabins by Tanner Lake.
Keep driving down the freeway until you see a large green-orange energy drink can on top of a car. Use this advertisement construction as a ramp to ram the can from behind to send it flying and get the "Flugtag" achievement.Easy "Freak Hunt" achievement ("Lifeline" DLC)
After saving Sasquatch, he will have the following four missions for you. Each is available after a new siege cycle. Successfully complete all four missions to get the "Freak Hunt" achievement.
- Kill a Bloater with a headshot so you do not damage its stomach.
- Kill a Feral with an edged weapon.
- Kill a Screamer with a few Molotov cocktails.
- Kill a Juggernaut with a melee weapon (damage it first with a car).
Successfully complete Sasquatch's special missions, and rescue enough civilians to get Vienna Cho's distress call. Rescue her, and she will join your team. Sasquatch will call you to the same locations where you first rescued him. When found, he will have a tactical nuke and a trigger. Drive back with him, then listen to what Vienna Cho has to say. Talk to Vienna Cho again, and agree that nuking the city is a bad idea. Escort her to the nuke, and have her disarm the trigger. Call for extraction via HQ (only possible after rescuing all high value assets). With the next chopper (after a siege), the non-nuclear ending will begin, and you will get the "Last Voice Of Danforth" achievement.Easy "Rucks In Trucks" achievement ("Lifeline" DLC)
Select a vehicle, and go on a supply run. Collect a total of six supply rucksacks, and place them in the trunk. When it is fully loaded, drive back to the base, and go to the east gate (with the parking spots). Park your vehicle to the right of the gate to have the supplies automatically unloaded and get the "Rucks In Trucks" achievement.Easy "The Dead Man" achievement ("Breakdown" DLC)
When a Bloater appears, equip a gun, and shoot it in the stomach. It will explode with one hit, leaving a cloud of toxic gas. Avoid coming in contact with the gas. Do not run them over or your car will be enveloped in the gas cloud and slowly kill you. If this happens, immediately get out of the car.Easy "The Judge" achievement ("Breakdown" DLC)
Repeatedly hit a Zed in melee combat until it goes down flat or is on its knees. Get near it, then perform an execution. You can use this tactic to take down large numbers of Zeds quickly to reach the total needed to get "The Judge" achievement. As soon as one is executed, start on the next. The Zeds that are still on their feet cannot attack you while the animation is dispalyed. You can kill larger groups one by one without getting surprised by Zeds that get up again.Easy "The Mercenary" achievement ("Breakdown" DLC)
Use a sniper rifle with a silencer to avoid attracting more Zeds while you are dealing with the Juggernaut. Up to ten shots to the head may be required, depending on the rifle used. With good aim and enough distance, you should be able to kill the Juggernaut without it charging.
Run the Juggernaut over with a car after backing into it at full speed. This will heavily damage your car, especially the tires, but will also knock it over. Quickly accelerate to get decent speed, and run it over before it manages to get up again. If done correctly, it will kill the Juggernaut. If it gets up before this happens, hit it anyway; it will total your car. Quickly find another vehicle to hit it a third time to kill it and get "The Mercenary" achievement.Easy "War Never Changes" achievement ("Lifeline" DLC)
Successfully complete Sasquatch's special missions, and rescue enough civilians to get Vienna Cho's distress call. Rescue her, and she will join your team. Sasquatch will call you to the same locations where you first rescued him. When found, he will have a tactical nuke and a trigger. Drive back with him, then listen to what Vienna Cho has to say. Talk to Sasquatch, and agree to destroy the city. Tell Vienna Cho that you are going through with it. Call for extraction via HQ (only possible after rescuing all high value assets). With the next chopper (after a siege), the nuke ending will begin, and you will get the "War Never Changes" achievement.Easy "Wired For War" achievement ("Lifeline" DLC)
To launch a Drone Strike, you must first unlock the Drone Strike command by securing two Drone Trail Zones and making them outposts. After the Drone Strike command is available, notice that you will get a smoke grenade each time an attack is ordered. To actually order the drone to attack, you must launch that grenade at the location to be attacked. Order between four to six attacks, and save the grenades. Deposit the grenade in your base while the Drong Strike command is on cooldown. If you order another Drone Strike with the grenade in your backpack, it will not work. When you have between four and six grenades saved, go to the danger zone in the northwest. There will always be approximately 20 zombies roaming around. Drop Drone Strikes into the danger zone, then leave and come back to respawn the zombies. Repeat this as many times as needed to get the "Wired For War" achievement.Easy "Ya Always Were An A-Hole Gorman" achievement
Have a grenade, firebomb, or other explosive device in your enventory. Equip it, then keep tapping the button to activate it as you are being taken down to get the "Ya Always Were An A-Hole Gorman" achievement.Achievements
Accomplish the indicated achievement to get the corresponding number of Gamerscore points:
- Cannibal Family Picnic (5 points): Got to the Mt. Tanner Ranger Station.
- Holy Rolling (10 points): Escaped Mt. Tanner and found the survivors at the church.
- Survivor (20 points): Escaped Trumbull County.
- It Was Just a Police Action (10 points): Found out what the Army was up to.
- Home on the Grange (10 points): Played matchmaker for Quentin and Becca.
- Arrested Developments (10 points): Saw things through at the courthouse.
- Gun Thugs (10 points): Helped the Wilkersons resolve their differences.
- Pest Control (20 points): Destroyed 5 infestations in one day.
- Watch the Birdie! (10 points): Distracted zombies to complete an objective.
- I Can See My House From Here (10 points): Completed a survey activity.
- Land Usage (20 points): Built one of every type of facility.
- Home Improvement (10 points): Built a facility.
- I'll Be There For You (10 points): Earned 500 Fame.
- Mercy Shot (10 points): Killed a member of your community to prevent them from turning.
- Come and Knock On Our Door (10 points): Convinced another enclave to join your community.
- Manifest Destiny (15 points): Built 8 outposts.
- Everywhere You Look (20 points): Got 15 people in your community.
- Movin' On Up! (15 points): Relocated your home base.
- Rule #1 (10 points): Maxed out a community member's Cardio skill.
- Trust Me, I'm an Expert (15 points): Earned a skill specialization for one of your community members.
- Horde Hoard (20 points): Destroyed 10 hordes in one day.
- Ya Always Were An A-Hole Gorman (10 points): Sacrificed your life in a blaze of glory.
- Torn Apart (10 points): Got killed by zombies.
- Get Yo' Freak On (10 points): Killed one of each freak zombie type.
- The Bruce (15 points): Killed 3 zombies with an exploding propane tank.
- Double Dead (15 points): Performed a hand to hand double kill special attack.
- Gotta Enjoy the Little Things (10 points): Used a car door to kill a zombie.
- Get Outta My Dreams (10 points): Killed one of each freak zombie type with your car.
- Vehicular Zombicide (20 points): Ran over 250 zombies.
- Badass (30 points): Completed 50 missions or activities with the same character.
The following achievements require the "Breakdown" bonus downloadable content:
- The Sacrifice (10 points): Go Out in a Blaze of Glory (Breakdown Level 1 or Higher).
- The Dead Man (10 points): Kill 5 Bloaters (Breakdown Level 2 or Higher).
- The Judge (10 points): Perform 50 Zombie Executions (Breakdown Level 3 or Higher).
- The Survivor (10 points): Collect 150 Resources (Breakdown Level 4 or Higher).
- The Mercenary (10 points): Destroy 5 Juggernauts (Breakdown Level 5 or Higher).
- The Ninja (10 points): Execute 50 Stealth Kills (Breakdown Level 5 or Higher).
- The Scientist (15 points): Reach Breakdown Level 6.
- The Rescuer (25 points): Unlock All Heroes.
The following achievements require the "Lifeline" bonus downloadable content:
- Wired for War (10 points): Killed 100 zombies with Drone Strikes.
- Rucks in Trucks (10 points): Delivered 6 rucksacks to your base in the back of a single vehicle.
- Under Siege (10 points): Survived 10 sieges on your base in a single playthrough.
- Maverick (10 points): Survived 2 minutes within a Danger Zone.
- Flugtag (10 points): Sent an energy drink flying.
- Freak Hunt (10 points): Completed all hunting missions with Sasquatch.
Additionally, there are two secret achievements with the "Lifeline" bonus downloadable content:
- War Never Changes (20 points): Survived detonating a nuclear device in Danforth.
- Last Voice of Danforth (20 points): Escaped Danforth with Vienna Cho in your community.