Spread your damage out among your enemies as much as possible. Reducing the health of an enemy unit will also reduce the amount of damage it can do. When ready, give priority to defeating the weakest units first to reduce your enemy's overall damage output and quickens the appearance of Pillage mode.
Target an attacking unit's armor. Although eliminating a unit's health will kill it, reducing their armor first can make this task easier. The damage given out equals your strength minus your opponent's armor. Armor also increases the chance that your opponent will deflecting all damage (the chance to do so is 10% for each point of armor higher than the your strength).
Keep your ranged units towards the rear, and away from melee attacks. Maximize your archers' Break stat to allow them to soften up the enemy easier.
Use heavily armored melee units (for example, shield-bearers and Varl) to block enemy attacks from your vulnerable ranged units. With shielded units, line them up together and use their blocking ability. Also, use this blocking strategy to protect resting characters.
Use units that have Heavy Impact (for example, Bersi and Hakon) close to enemies that are clustered together.
Ludin's Impale skill does extra damage for each step the enemy takes. Use it against Dredge Slingers since they always take a free movement action after being hit.
Use Willpower as needed to quickly move a unit out of trouble, activate a special skill, and add damage to attacks. It is restored to full before the next battle.
Use the right-most icon of the Horn symbol at the top of the screen to give one unit of willpower to your current unit. Since the Horn only holds a set amount of Willpower, use it regularly so it will not be wasted.
A maxed out Exertion stat allows units such as Varl to put more Willpower into each action.
Characters with useful special abilities (for example, Yrsa's area-of-effect attack) require more willpower.
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding achievement. To view your achievements and stats in Steam, select "Community", "My profile", "View all my games", then the game and view stats.
- Backbiter: Defeat an enemy with a Backbiter.
- Beat the Odds: Whew...Egil made it the whole way!
- Bowmaster: Defeat an enemy with a Bowmaster.
- Challenge: Complete the game without losing a single battle.
- Diplomat: Get permission to destroy a varl landmark.
- Eagle Eye: Defeat an enemy with an Eagle Eye.
- Forced March: Reach Boersgard in 120 days.
- Godstone Bjorulf: Visit the godstone Bjorulf.
- Godstone Denglr: Visit the godstone Denglr.
- Godstone Dundr: Visit the godstone Dundr.
- Godstone Hadrborg: Visit the godstone Hadrborg.
- Godstone Hridvaldyr: Visit the godstone Hridvaldyr.
- Godstone Ingrid: Visit the godstone Ingrid.
- Godstone Marek: Visit the godstone Marek.
- Godstone Radormyr: Visit the godstone Radormyr
- Godstone Stravhs: Visit the godstone Stravhs.
- Grudgewielder: Defeat an enemy with a Grudgewielder.
- Hard Difficulty: Complete the game on Hard difficulty.
- High Spirits: Complete the game without ever getting low morale.
- Hunter: Defeat an enemy with a Hunter.
- Innocent: Alette doesn't want to harm humans or varl...don't make her.
- Master Tactician: Win a battle on Hard difficulty in the camp Training Tent using 6 rank 5 units.
- Mender: Defeat an enemy with a Mender.
- Normal Difficulty: Complete the game on Normal difficulty.
- Provoker: Defeat an enemy with a Provoker.
- Quartermaster: Complete the game without letting anyone in your caravan die to hunger.
- Raidmaster: Defeat an enemy with a Raidmaster.
- Shieldmaster: Defeat an enemy with a Shieldmaster.
- Siege Archer: Defeat an enemy with a Siege Archer.
- Sky Striker: Defeat an enemy with a Sky Striker.
- Spearmaster: Defeat an enemy with a Spearmaster.
- Strongarm: Defeat an enemy with a Strongarm.
- Thrasher: Defeat an enemy with a Thrasher.
- Treasure Hunter: Acquire 5 rank 5 items.
- Warden: Defeat an enemy with a Warden.
- Warhawk: Defeat an enemy with a Warhawk.
- Warleader: Defeat an enemy with a Warleader.
- Warmaster: Defeat an enemy with a Warmaster.
- Warmonger: Fight 40 battles in a single playthrough.