Play "The Legacy Of Cain - Explore Cellar" quest in Act I. Take the waypoint to The Old Ruins and go north, then east. Go down the cellar to encounter a named mob (Captain Daltyn) and his minions. Kill him for at least one magic item and some coins. Loot the cauldron for at least one health potion. Talk to Leah for quest completion experience and gold. A loot chest also appears 40% of the time. Exit and repeat as many times as desired. The pathway will never change, but you will keep hearing a Tristram Militia whining about how he promised to save Marko but did not.
To earn XP, gold, and items quickly, start Act III: 7 - Kill Azmodan. Skip past all the enemies except for elite mobs. Defeat Azmodan, and skip the cutscene. Teleport back to the stronghold after taking its soul and your loot. Then, talk to the guard, speed through the dialog, go to the armory, and then the watchtower. Skip the cutscene, then run through the portal. Go to Tyrael, skip through the dialogue, and go through the portal. Skip through the additional dialogue, and then kill Iskatu. Repeat this process as many times as desired.
When you enter an area that gives you a life potion or chest, collect them, then save and quit the game. When you resume your saved game, the area you clicked on to get the previous potion will always give you another potion. Note: Another chest may not always appear. If there is no chest, quit the game again. When you resume the game again, most of the time another chest will appear, and the treasure will vary from an item to gold, or both.
To power level an alternate character, simply put a high level gem on them to have them reach stats that normally are not available to low level characters. At Level 20, socket armor and weapons become plentiful. You can put on Level 60 gems to have a very powerful force, even without a high level character. If you later need to remove a gem and place it on superior gear, you can have the blacksmith break the armor or you can remove it with gold using the gem remover.
Experience gear can cut your play time by a lot, but you must keep upgrading your gear or else the bonus experience will not be enough for your current level. Having multiple sets of experience gear every few levels will help. However, you do not actually need full sets, just a few pieces to make a difference on your next character. Additionally, if you are running out of space and do not want to upgrade your shared stash, you can keep them by creating a few extra characters and passing the gear to them using the shared stash. This will also save you money, but it is recommended you eventually upgrade your shared stash to avoid wasting time moving items between characters.
The secret Whimsyshire level is a playable area of the game that contains cute monsters, gold and item drops, health orbs (which look like giant pink cupcakes), random and elite bosses, and a baby's blanket looking mini-map. To access the hidden Whimsyshire level, you must have five special ingredients, and a plan to teach the blacksmith how to craft them into the Staff Of Herding. This object must then be taken to the Cow King's Ghost, a spectral bovine located on Old Tristram Road, near the pit with the mysterious red glow in Act I. After a conversation with the Cow King's Ghost, the glow will change to a rainbow color, and it will become a clickable dungeon entrance. When you enter the secret Whimsyshire level, a Feat of Strength, Banner, and Sigil will be unlocked. As was the case with the Diablo 2 Secret Cow level, characters must have defeated that difficulty level to enter the secret level, which is balanced to be about as difficult as Act 4. The location of the required items to create the Staff Of Herding are as follows:
Black Mushroom: It is found rarely in a room in The Cathedral: Level 1 early in Act I. It is a clickable ground spawn called Black Mushrooms, but it does not always spawn. One way to farm for this is to load a later quest in Act I, and take the Cathedral Gardens waypoint, then proceed through Leoric's Passage to the Cathedral level.
Leoric's Shinbone: It is found rarely in the fire place in Leoric's Manor, late in Act I. However, it does not appear in every game because the burnt logs do not always spawn. The item is obtained by clicking the burnt logs in the fire place within Leoric's Manor, which drops the shinbone 100% of the time. The easiest way to get to Leoric's Manor is to enter Act I in Quest 9: "The Imprisoned Angel", and use the Leoric's Manor waypoint.
Wirt's Cowbell: Wirt's Bell can be purchased from Squirt the Peddler in the Caldeum Bazaar in Act II for 100,000 gold. It is under the "Miscellaneous" tab.
Liquid Rainbow: It spawns in the Mysterious Cave in the Mysterious Chest in the Oasis, Act II. Save the old man, and he will open the chest.
Gibbering Gemstone: It randomly drops from Chiltara in Level 2 of Caverns Of Frost in Act III. It is in the Ballistae fight area. If you get the Ice Caverns exit out, try again. The mob is random.
Plan - Staff Of Herding: It drops randomly from Izual in Act IV on any difficulty.
Once you have acquired the six items listed above, open the window of your blacksmith, and Right-click the pattern to learn it. You can now craft it under the weapon section for 50,000 gold. After creating the Staff Of Herding, players can use it an unlimited number of times. You can make a staff for each difficulty. They are great for farming blues and rare items. To make the Nightmarish, Hell, and Inferno versions, you can find the plans at Gorell the Quartermaster at the east corner of Bastion's Keep Stronghold. He sells the plans for different prices depending on the difficulty you buy it for after you have killed Izual in Act IV.
Development Hell is a hidden area in the game. During the "A Shattered Crown" quest in Act I on the Nightmare or harder difficulty, choose the part where you have to open the gate. Go to the Cemetery Of The Forsaken, and check all the crypt names. There are three areas named Defiled Crypt you can enter, one of which has the quest goal. When entering one of the crypts, there is a random chance it will instead take you to Development Hell. If none of the crypts take you to Development Hell, save and quit the game. Resume the saved game, and repeat this process until one of the crypts are Development Hell. In Development Hell, the normal Risen Dead enemies are named after the Diablo 3 development team, with their descriptions being their job title. The game director, Jay Wilson, is an elite monster, and killing him grants the hidden Feat Of Strength achievement "Smash! Jay, Smash!" along with a Banner Sigil.
Search the indicated locations and complete the corresponding tasks to get the three followers in the game to join you:
Location: The Templar is the first follower available. He is found in The Cathedral: Level 3 in Act I.
Quest: The Templar is found during the "Reign Of The Black King" quest. While going deep into the Cathedral, you will encounter a group of cultist channeling dark energy on a man. Kill the cultists, and the man will ask for help finding his gear. His gear can be found in a large chest slightly ahead of the current location. Once he equips his gear, the man will reveal himself as a Templar. He will offer to kill a renegade called Jondar, who can be found down nearby stairs. After defeating Jondar, the Templar will ask to join you in your noble cause. Accept his offer to have him follow you, or decline it to have him wait back in town, where you can hire him any time desired.
Location: The Scoundrel is found in The Fields Of Misery in Act I.
Quest: The Scoundrel is found during "The Broken Blade" quest. During the quest, you will be joined by Leah in the Fields Of Misery to go to the Drowned Temple. On your way there, you will encounter a man asking for help against thieves. Follow him to encounter a girl surrounded by various thieves. Kill all of them, including their leader Nigel, then talk to the man. He is a Scoundrel, and after facing a bit of disappointment, will request to help you. If you accept, he will immediately replace the Templar (if he is with you). If you decline, he will wait in town, where you can hire him any time desired.
Location: The Enchantress is found on the Howling Plateau in Act II.
Quest: The Enchantress is found during the "Shadows In The Desert" quest. When you reach the Sundered Canyon, you will encounter a petite girl, who is the Enchantress. Speak to her to make her a temporary ally. She will help you in your journey with her spells by diminishing illusionary dead ends and revealing hidden footprints of the cultists. You will need to follow the footprints to two places: the Hidden Conclave and Secret Altar, where you will be required to kill the enemies to stop their illusionary magic. You will then be able to travel to the Black Canyon Bridge, which is located in the northern part of the Howling Plateau. Speak with the Enchantress again to complete the quest. She will then ask to join you. If you accept, she will replace any other follower you currently have with you. If you decline, she can be hired back at the holding camp any time desired.
Open the "Sound" options, and uncheck the "Show Quest Dialog In Chat" option at the bottom right corner.
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding achievement. To view your achievements and stats in Steam, select "Community", "My profile", "View all my games", then the game and view stats.
- Bloodletting: Kill 25 elite (champion, rare, or unique) enemies in cooperative games.
- Slaughterhouse: Kill 50 elite (champion, rare, or unique) enemies in cooperative games.
- Due Decimation: Kill 100 elite (champion, rare, or unique) enemies in cooperative games.
- Massacre of the Damned: Kill 500 elite (champion, rare, or unique) enemies in cooperative games.
- The Culling of Hell: Kill 1,000 elite (champion, rare, or unique) enemies in cooperative games.
- Heroes of the Ages: Join a cooperative game.
- Gotta Catch Them All: Play cooperative games with the following hero classes.
- The Great Revival: Resurrect a player of each class in cooperative games.
- Life is Beautiful: Heal other players for 500,000 Life by picking up health globes in cooperative games.
- Follow Me Around: Teleport to another player by clicking on his or her banner.
- Warriors of Sanctuary: Join a 4-player cooperative game where everyone is a different class.
- Heroes of Circumstance: Join a public cooperative game.
- Not Dead Yet: Resurrect another player in a cooperative game.
- Breath of Life: Resurrect other players 25 times in cooperative games.
- Savior of the Fallen: Resurrect other players 50 times in cooperative games.
- Grand Beastmaster of Sanctuary: Complete the bestiary achievements.
- A World of Pain: Complete the exploration achievements.
- Grand Lorekeeper of Sanctuary: Complete the lore book achievements.
- Scavenger: Pick up 10,000 gold.
- Spare Change: Pick up 50,000 gold.
- Moneybags: Pick up 100,000 gold.
- Deep Pockets: Pick up 500,000 gold.
- Staying Gold: Pick up 1,000,000 gold.
- All That Glitters: Pick up 5,000,000 gold.
- Spoils of War: Pick up 10,000,000 gold.
- The One Percent: Pick up 100,000,000 gold.
- Armed to the Teeth: Equip all inventory slots with items that have a minimum required level of 25 or higher.
- Prepared for Battle: Equip all inventory slots with items that have a minimum required level of 60 or higher.
- The Comfort of Strangers: Recruit the Templar, Scoundrel, and Enchantress.
- Breaking Not So Bad: Use a merchant to repair an item.
- A Guiding Light: Use the Templar as your follower.
- Me, Myself & Eirena: Use the Enchantress as your follower.
- Stolen Moments: Use the Scoundrel as your follower.
- Friends with Benefits: Fully equip one of your followers.
- Rarely There: Equip a rare (yellow) item.
- Legends of the Brawl: Equip a legendary (orange) item.
- Chestmaster 2000: Open 2,000 chests.
- Born to Dye: Dye an item.
- The Art of Conversation: Complete the main character, follower, and artisan conversation achievements.
- Now I've Heard Everything: Complete the main character conversation achievements.
- Dirty Little Secrets: Complete the follower conversation achievements.
- Talkis Cheap, Friends Are Priceless: Complete the artisan conversation achievements.
- For the Order: Listen to all of the Templar's conversations.
- To Catch a Thief: Listen to all of the Scoundrel's conversations.
- Secret of the Ages: Listen to all of the Enchantress's conversations.
- Hassling Haedrig: Listen to all of the Blacksmith's conversations.
- Everybody Loves Shen: Listen to all of the Jeweler's conversations.
- Stay Awhile and Listen: Listen to all of Deckard Cain's conversations.
- More than Stories: Listen to all of Leah's conversations.
- It's Just Us: Listen to all of Tyrael's conversations.
- Bewitched: Listen to all of Adria's conversations.
- Sales and Tales: Listen to all of the town merchants' conversations.
- Slaughterhouse: Kill 50 elite (champion, rare, or unique) enemies in cooperative games.