Note: This procedure involves editing a game file; create a backup copy of the file before proceeding. Use a text editor to edit the "WarInput.ini" file found in one of the following folders:
- In Windows XP: "\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Gears of War\"
- In Windows Vista: "\[username]\Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\Wargame\Config\"
Add or change the following lines in the file:
While playing the game, press ~ to display the console window. Then, type one of the following codes and press [Enter] to activate the corresponding cheat function. Note: Enabling a code will prevent achievements from being earned.
|Set Baird's default health||set WarfareGameContent.Pawn_COGBaird DefaultHealth [number]|
|Set Carmine's default health||set WarfareGameContent.Pawn_COGCarmine DefaultHealth [number]|
|Set Cole's default health||set WarfareGameContent.Pawn_COGGus DefaultHealth [number]|
|Set Dom's default health||set WarfareGame.Pawn_COGDom DefaultHealth [number]|
|Set Marcus' default health||set WarfareGame.Pawn_COGMarcus DefaultHealth [number]|
|Set Minh's default health||set WarfareGameContent.Pawn_COGMinh DefaultHealth [number]|
|Set handgun clip size||set warfaregame.weap_cogpistol magsize [number]|
|Set Lancer clip size||set WarfareGame.Weap_AssaultRifle magsize [number]|
|Set Magnum handgun clip size||set warfaregame.weap_locustpistol magsize [number]|
|Set semi-automatic clip size||set warfaregame.weap_locustassaultrifle magsize [number]|
|Set shotgun clip size||set warfaregame.weap_shotgun magsize [number]|
|Set sniper rifle clip size||set WarfareGame.Weap_SniperRifle magsize [number]|
|Set Torque Bow clip size||set WarfareGameContentWeapons.Weap_Bow magsize [number]|
|Set number of grenades||set WarfareGame.Weap_Grenade magsize [number]|
Create a text file with a cheat code on each line. Save the file in the "\Gears of War\Binaries\" folder. Then, type "exec [filename.txt]" at the console window to activate all those codes at once.
Successfully complete Campaign mode on the Casual or Hardcore difficulty setting to unlock Insane difficulty setting.
When an Emergence Hole opens up, toss a grenade into it. This will automatically close the hole, and therefore keep the locusts from coming out.
The Hammer Of Dawn can easily destroy Emergence Holes. You must activate it by targeting an enemy first, and then aim it toward the Emergence Hole.
Fire a Torque Bow arrow into an Emergence Hole. This is somewhat challenging to do, due to the straight line of fire given by the bow. However, if you are close enough to fire while the line of fire is arced, it is possible to make it into the hole. A Torque Arrow stuck in the top of the hole will close it as well.
In Campaign mode, look for the dead soldier symbol (red gear with skull inside) painted on a wall, floor, or other location. This indicates that the Locust have killed some Gear soldiers in the area. Because Gear soldiers wear C.O.G. tags, you should be able to find one nearby.
The following is a list of the C.O.G. tag locations:
1. After you choose paths go straight ahead. The tag is under the logo.
2. In the room where the Locust cut through the door. If you are facing away from the door it is to the back of the right side.
3. When you enter the outside courtyard, go up the small staircase on your left. It is in the corner on your left.
Trial By Fire
4. It is in the small courtyard after you exit the building. It is to the right of the Gears logo. Your team will point it out to you.
5. After you cross a bridge you enter a building will a lot of broken pillars. There are two Emergence Holes in this room. The tag is behind the second one in the grass.
6. This one is in the large battle area with the fountain in the middle. The tag is in the back left corner if you face the logo.
7. When you enter the outside area (in front of the House Of Sovereigns) with lots of stairs, there is a van with a logo on it and a big hole to the left. If you follow the edge of the hole up, the tag is in that corner.
8. In the hallway where you fight all the wretches, the tag is in the left corner if you face the door Jack is ripping. It is easier to get it after killing everything.
9. You will enter a small room where you find the body of Rojas (a dead Alpha soldier). The tag is in the direct right corner after coming down the stairs. Its behind the column.
10. Immediately after the Berserker intermission sequence, the tag is in the flaming area to one of your sides. There is a logo in there.
11. You must get the Berserker to smash down doors. In the third room before the final door, the tag is in the last alcove to your left if you are facing the door.
12. Once you get outside after tag #11, you will enter a courtyard. Go to the left and follow the wall. The tag is behind one of the broken blocks along the wall. You must get this one before you kill the Berserker.
Tick Tick Boom
13. After you split up but later meet again, you reach a room with stairs in the middle. They lead to a couch. The tag is under the couch.
14. There is a room that you enter in which you walk on catwalks. After you leave this room, you go down some stairs that lead to the street. The tag is down under and behind the stairs.
15. When you come up on the stranded gateway (not in it but prior), there is a tag back behind the newspaper dispensers. There is a logo above it.
16. After the first checkpoint there is an outside area where an Emergence Hole appears. After that there is a shed to the left. There is a propane tank in it. Shoot the tank before going to get the tag in the shed.
Lethal Dusk-Dark Labyrinth
17. This one is in the area that you must use the spotlight and guide Dom. It is in far left corner of the street, next to a pile of rubble. Shine the light on the tag after Dom has pulled the switch.
18. After you exit a destroyed building, there is a tag to the right just around the corner. This is before you reach the gas station.
19. After you split up to find an entrance to the factory, you will reach an area outside. There are little shelters along the way. There is a shelter with an elevator in it. Behind it is a dock that leads out to sea. The tag is on the end of the dock.
20. It is in the room in which you must walk on the broken floorboards. It is in the far right corner. Make sure to stay on the metal beams to reach the tag.
Evolution - Coalition Cargo
21. When you enter the room with the mine carts that you ride, go down the stairs and turn to the right. The tag is next to the stairs. Make sure to get it before activating the carts.
Darkest Before Dawn
22. After you enter the caves on the drilling platforms, follow the path and stay to the right. Go down the right path and you will reach a steel door. The tag is in front of it.
23. A little bit after tag #22, you will enter an area where you will fight some Locust, and there is a small building to the right. The tag is to the right of the stairs leading to it.
24. After you and Dom split and meet, you will go down a narrow passage with Locust in it. After this you will see a Corpser moving to your left. There is a small ledge to your right. There is a tag on it. There is also some ammo at this location.
25. When you enter the first area with a big fountain, look to the right. There are two small staircases. The tag is behind the second, or farther, one.
Bad To Worse
26. After you leave Delta 2 behind, you will reach a street with a car to one side and a walkway with a ton of columns on the other side. The tag is behind the left side of the car (if you are facing the car abd not the columns).
27. In the second section of the house you will enter an office-like room. It has lots of books and a desk. Destroy the desk. The tag is under it.
28. This tag is just inside the door that Jack rips open. It is on the left side of the room.
29. This tag is on the floor just before you climb the ladder to the roof of the train.
30. Get to the second train car that you must drop the big tanks in order to cross. You should be on the right side of the car. There is a storage corridor to your left on the same car. You must go around to the left and into the storage room. The final tag is at the end of the corridor. Make sure to get the tag before you enter the next door.
Once you get the Torque Bow, wait until you see groups of Locusts, then shoot one in the head. After you wait a few seconds, it should blow up and kill all or most of them.
Use the following trick while playing in two player mode and you reach a difficult part with a doorway. Have one player die in the doorway. This will create a block that the Locust cannot get past. They will usually line up behind your dead partner, allowing you a safe zone to easily pick them off. Once it is clear, just revive your partner and move on.
The chainsaw on your Lancer has the ability to cut through many things if you get close to it and start it up. This includes doors, walls, and boxes.
In Act 1: Ashes - Wrath, you will have to go up a set of stairs to get to the roof of the building. On the roof there will be Troikas and you must pick off the Locusts down on the landing zone. Near the Troika directly in front of the steps, where there is a Locust already running it, is a Hammer Of Dawn hidden in the grass. You can use the Hammer Of Dawn to kill all of the Locust on the ground.
In Act 2: Nightfall - Last Stand, you must fight off a group of Locusts. At the end, an Emergence Hole will appear with a few Boomers inside. To kill them all in one shot, take cover and wait for a small metal sheet to fall into the hole. Behind the sheet is a gas tank. Shooting this will trigger a reaction in which a giant fuel tank rolls down over the gas tank, then falls and kills all of the Boomers in one shot. After doing this, Cole will say "Yeah, burn biatches!". Note: This will not earn you the Clusterluck achievement if repeated ten times.
In the final level, you first need to get the Berserker's attention; Berserkers are blind. They only go off smell and sound. Lead her all the way back to the very first train car. While she is still on it, quickly run off and press the button to release the car. The train car will collapse and the Berserker will go with it.
Killing Berserkers usually takes two hits with the Hammer Of Dawn. However, if you stick a grenade to them while they are still glowing red, it saves the trouble of aiming again with the Hammer Of Dawn. This is easier with two players, but not too difficult to do solo.
Use the following trick for an alternate method to defeat the final Berserker in Act 5. Instead of pushing the button on the train car, lead the Berserker to the very back of the train. Walk to the very end of the train where there is an opening. Do not worry; its impossible to fall off. Stand in the opening, have the Berserker run at you, then roll out of the way. The Berserker will run off the train. If you look back, you will see the Berserker laying on the tracks. Also, once you have done that, look at the boxes all over the ground near you. They all say "Gears Crunch" (cereal boxes). If you look closer, some of them advertise that "you can win a tiny pillow."
Another alternate method to defeat the final Berserker in Act 5 is to use the Torque Bow to shoot the fuel tank from far away. After a couple of shots the tank should explode, taking the whole car down and the Berserker with it.
Boomers have rocket launchers that can usually kill you with one hit. In order to kill them safely, take cover and wait until they shoot at you before you start shooting back. Just as they start reloading is the best time to shoot them, because their gun has a very slow reload. After they reload, hide again and let them fire. Repeat this a few times to kill them.
Equip a grenade. After the Boomer fires their weapon, run next to them and press B, then run away. If done correctly, you will hear a sound that indicates that the grenade has attached to the Boomer. You can kill a Boomer instantly and save ammunition by doing this. Another method that can be done later in the game is when you receive the Torque Bow. If you have the Torque Bow, wait until they fire, then launch an arrow at them. This also kills them very quickly.
Take cover and wait for the Boomer to reload. Then, use a sniper to shoot him in the head. It will explode after about three shots. When you are reloading let him shoot so that he can reload.
Equip a Toque Bow and hold the trigger until you see the arc straighten. This indicates that the bolt will stick. Then, fire it onto the Boomer. It should kill them in one hit, even on the high difficulties.
In Act 3, you are in the Locust tunnels and must plant the Resonater in the building behind a lava filled lake. There are rocks on top of the lava, allowing you to walk across; however, it is not that easy. About one third of the way across an intermission sequence starts, with a giant spider creature, the Corpser. All you need for this battle is a shotgun and machine gun. This will be a fairly long range fight. It is an easy fight but the Wretches that come from everywhere complicate it. When the Corpser raises all his legs and slams them down, your teammate will probably yell "Wretches!". This is your cue to take out a shotgun or use your machine gun. At the beginning you should have a point of interest on the stomach, which is your cue to shoot it. You can always get a shot on it, even when the Corpser shields itself; or you can wait until it tries an attack then shoot its stomach. After that there will be another point of interest, which is in its mouth. When you shoot the stomach it will cringe and its mouth will open as it screams. Then, shoot it in the mouth. While you are doing this, watch out for the Corpser's Ground Pound. It not only brings Wretches (watch the ceiling), but also takes away part of the arena in the back. If your character dies in the back he might be lost. Your ammo cases may also be lost. Keep repeating the process of shooting the stomach and the mouth until the Corpser backs up as far as it. It can no longer be hurt. There will now be a point of interest around the smashable latches. There are two of them. Shoot both of the latches so that they pop, and the platform that the Corpser is on will be sent into the lava.
Once you reach General RAAM at the end of the last Act, he will have a Gatlin type gun and will be surrounded by the bird locust. There will also be flying locusts attacking from the side of the train (ignore them). You can only damage General RAAM when the bird locusts leave him and go after you. Stay in the light or the birds can kill you. When you start fighting him, hide behind the first rectangular block that is directly in front of the doors you came from. He will start walking towards you and shoot. When the birds leave him, start shooting. After a while he will get directly in front of where you are hiding. When he does, run around him and hide on the other side of the platform. Stay in the light as you run. Hide, then continue shooting him until he dies.
Get General Ramm off the Gatlin gun. When he starts walking towards you, let Dominic get his attention. Then, run towards the Gatlin gun and shoot him with it. This should kill him in seconds. This is easier in Co-op mode.
When you are on the train on the final chapter as you go to face General RAAM, you will need the Torque Bow and the Longshot. Once the intermission sequence finishes, stay at the part of the train where you are currently at. Take out the Torque Bow and shoot General RAAM. Make sure you hold it in long enough to make it stick. If you held it long enough, it should blow up and the Kryll should leave him for approximately ten seconds. Take out the Longshot and shoot him. Get a perfect reload and shoot him again. Repeat this until the Kryll return to him. When he gets close to you, run to the other end but make sure you stay in the light. If you can revive Don, do so because it will make RAAM focus on him and you can continue to shoot him with the Torque Bow and the Lancer.
If you are having trouble accessing the second Troika-gun, try the following specific gun-combo. At the beginning of the level, ensure that the Lancer Rifle and the Torque Bow are in your inventory. Collect the extra ammunition from the train car and enter the next area. When the intermission scene ends, proceed to the vault over the cement slab. Enter cover behind any of the cement blocks. You must hit RAAM with the Torque Bow to drive off the Kryll. When they fly away, immediately switch to the Lancer Rifle to execute as many headshots as possible. This may require at least a clip of ammunition each time. When the Kryll regroup, reload the Lancer Rifle immediately, and switch to the Torque Bow. Depending on various timing-issues, RAAM will advance to your location, requiring that you use the "switch cover" action to force RAAM to adapt his path-finding. Whenever RAAM's AI pauses to change direction, repeat the use of the Torque Bow/Lancer Rifle combination. This method may require at least five combos to defeat RAAM. If you run out of Torque Bow arrows, the grenades may be used as a means of "scaring off" the Kryll.
Before you start fighting General RAAM, make sure you have the Longshot (sniper rifle) and Torque Bow with full ammunition. You can get the Longshot along with its ammunition in the car before fighting RAAM. When you fight RAAM, first tell Dom to cease fire. By doing this, Dom is not firing and is safe. This should also stop RAAM from coming towards you. The only way you can hurt RAAM is when the Kryll (the bats around him) are not shielding him. Use the Torque Bow to get rid of the shielding Kryll, then take out the Longshot and shoot RAAM in the head. Try to reload quickly. If you are lucky and can get a couple of active reloads, you can headshot RAAM twice before the Kryll shield him. Continue this process until RAAM is dead.
When the battle begins, duck behind the first blockade (the one you start at). Use the sniper rifle to shoot RAAM from a distance and remain ducked until he gets to the other side of the block. Stay ducked on the light and when he sends the Krill guarding him to attack you, blind shoot and him. At this spot he is unable to shoot you. Just continue until he is dead. Also, do not worry about saving your teammate or shooting the Reavers as they are only distractions.
Before exiting the room to fight General RAAM, you should still have the bow. Do not trade it with the sniper. Cover behind the first spot that you can and wait for him to get close to you. When he gets close enough, run up to the turret so that the bat Locusts cannot hurt you. When you get to the turret, shoot RAAM with the bow and the bat Locusts will leave him. When this happens, get into the turret as quickly as possible and blast him away.
Play in Co-op mode. Player one must have a Lancer (chainsaw) and a Longshot (sniper). Player two must have a Lancer and a Torque Bow. Make sure both players have full ammunition. Once the battle begins, have player one switch to the Longshot and player two switch to the Torque Bow. Have player two shoot the general with the Torque Bow. This should take the Kryll off of him. Then, have player one try to get as many headshots as possible before the Kryll come back to guard RAAM. Keep doing this until the Torque Bow is out of ammunition. When this happens, have player two take out his Lancer and then have both players wait for the Kryll to hit the light. Both players should continue doing this until the Longshot has run out of ammunition. At this point, player one will do the same thing as player two and take out his Lancer and shoot RAAM when he is in the light. Keep doing this until he is dead.
Use the following trick to kill General RAAM on the Insane difficulty setting. Collect any Boom Shots guns or Grenade Launchers from all the Boomers found on the previous chapters. The guns must be full with twelve bombs each, you must be playing in Co-op mode, and both players must have the guns. Stay in the first block and start shooting at him until he dies. This is a lot easier than using the Torque Bow and Longshot.
Start a new campaign on the Casual difficulty setting. Right before you fight a Berserker, Corpser, and General RAAM, exit out to the main menu. Select "Continue Campaign" and switch the difficulty to Hardcore to still get the My Love for You Is Like a Truck, Broken Fingers, and A Dish Best Served Cold achievements.
Instead of completing the game three times, just play it on the Insane difficulty to get all three achievements for each act, completing the game, the My Love for You Is Like a Truck, Broken Fingers, and A Dish Best Served Cold.
Play Act 1 on the Casual difficulty setting. Play the first chapter "14 Days after E-day" until reaching the part where you are about to go outside for the second time. This is when the Locusts are about to break open the door. Run to the door that is not in front of them or you will die. Make sure you have frag grenades equipped. When they break open the door, stick the very first Locust that comes through the door then stand in front of him so he cannot run away. When the grenade explodes it should kill all three of the Locusts and you might survive. If you survived make sure that you killed all three of them then pause the game. Load the last checkpoint and do this ten times. You do not have to survive while trying to get this achievement.
Play the "Evolution" section of Chapter 3. After you rescue the stranded, you will reach a point where you must cross wooden floor boards that may fall away. Cross all the way to the other side where the respawning grenades are located. Stand just at the edge of the planks and wait until a few wretches gather underneath. Then, toss a grenade in the middle of the group, and refill your grenades as needed. To make it even easier, do this in Co-op mode and have your partner stand on the planks looking down into the pit.
When starting a Co-op campaign, instead of logging into your main Gamertag as player one, log in as player two. Doing this from the beginning or while replaying chapters will let you play as Dominic Santiago. There are several achievements that you will unlock playing as him. Additionally, if you start as Dominic from the beginning, you will not gain any less points then you would as Marcus and it will save you a lot of time.
Accomplish the indicated achievement to get the corresponding number of Gamerscore points:
- Prison Breakout (10 points): Complete tutorial level on any skill level.
- Completed Act 1 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 1 on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 2 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 2 on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 3 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 3 on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 4 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 4 on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 5 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 5 on Casual Difficulty.
- Mercenary (10 points): Complete all acts on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 1 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 1 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 2 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 2 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 3 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 3 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 4 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 4 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 5 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 5 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Soldier (20 points): Complete all acts on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 1 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 1 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 2 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 2 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 3 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 3 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 4 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 4 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 5 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 5 on Insane Difficulty.
- Commando (30 points): Complete all acts on Insane Difficulty.
- Time to Remember (10 points): Recover one-third of the COG tags (on any difficulty):
- Honor-Bound (20 points): Recover two-thirds of the COG tags (on any difficulty):
- For the Fallen (30 points): Recover all of the COG tags (on any difficulty):
- My Love for You Is Like a Truck (30 points): Defeat a Berserker on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Broken Fingers (30 points): Defeat a Corpser on Hardcore Difficulty.
- A Dish Best Served Cold (30 points): Defeat General RAAM on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Zen and the Art of Reloading (10 points): Perform 25 perfect active reloads (on any difficulty):
- Zen and the Art Part 2 (20 points): Perform 5 perfect active reloads in a row (on any difficulty):
- Clusterluck (20 points): Kill 3 enemies at once 10 different times (on any difficulty):
- Not So Serious ... (20 points): Kill 10,000 people in versus player match total.
- Dom-curious (10 points): Complete 1 co-op chapter as Dominic Santiago on any difficulty.
- Domination (20 points): Complete 10 different co-op chapters as Dominic Santiago on any difficulty.
- I Can't Quit You Dom (30 points): Complete all acts in co-op as Dominic Santiago on any difficulty.
- Don't You Die On Me (10 points): Revive a teammate in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked) matches of 3+ rounds.
- Fall Down Go Boom (20 points): Kill an enemy with the Boomshot in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- Pistolero (20 points): Kill an enemy with a pistol in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- The Nuge (20 points): Kill an enemy with the Torque Bow in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked) matches of 3+ rounds.
- I Spy with My Little Eye (20 points): Kill an enemy with the Longshot in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- Don't Hurt 'Em (20 points): Kill an enemy with the Hammer of Dawn in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked) matches of 3+ rounds.
- It's a Massacre (10 points): Kill an enemy with the Chainsaw in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- Curb Appeal (20 points): Kill an enemy with a curb stomp in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- Capital Punishment (20 points): Kill an enemy with an execution in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- Is It a Spider? (20 points): Kill an enemy with a grenade tag in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- The Money Shot (20 points): Kill an enemy with a headshot in 100 multiplayer (Player or Ranked): matches of 3+ rounds.
- Always Remember Your First (10 points): Finish playing a versus ranked match.
- Don't Hate the Player (10 points): Finish with the highest points in a ranked match.
- Mix It Up (20 points): Win a ranked match in every versus game type.
- Around the World (20 points): Win a ranked match on every versus map.
- Can't Touch Me (20 points): Win 10 ranked matches without losing a round.
- Seriously ... (40 points): Kill 10,000 people in versus ranked match total.
- Completed Act 1 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 1 on Casual Difficulty.
Additionally, there is one secret achievement:
- Shock Therapy (30 points): Defeat a Brumak on the Hardcore difficulty.