Collect all nine XOF patches in the "Ground Zeroes" mission, then successfully complete the mission to unlock the special "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op mission. The mission is different on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions compared to the Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions of the game.
Successfully complete a mission to unlock the Hard difficulty for that specific mission.
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding skin in the bonus "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op mission:
- Classic Gray Fox skin: Recreate all seven scenes in the "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op mission on the Hard difficulty, and answer all MGS Trivia questions correctly after the credits.
- Classic Snake skin: Recreate all seven scenes in the "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op mission on the Normal difficulty, and answer all MGS Trivia questions correctly after the credits.
Get an "A" rank to unlock the M-2000 sniper rifle in Main Ops mode.
Successfully complete all missions on the Hard difficulty to unlock a remix track from Zone Of The Enders: The Second Runner for the music player.
The following are the answers to the questions asked about the original Metal Gear Solid after completing the "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op mission on the indicated difficulty:
- Question 1: MGS1 featured Solid Snake infiltrating which island?
- Answer: Shadow Moses
- Question 2: The romote-controlled missile was known by which nickname?
- Answer: Nikita
- Question 3: Who did you need to call on the Codec in order to save your progress?
- Answer: Mei Ling
- Question 4: The Next-Generation Special Forces who took part in the uprising with FOXHOUND were given what treatment?
- Answer: Gene therapy
- Question 5: On which floor of the Nuclear Warhead Storage Building was Otacon's lab located?
- Answer: 2nd floor basement
- Question 6: What was Cyborg Ninja's true identity?
- Answer: Frank Jaeger
- Question 7: Before being called back into action for the mission, Snake lived in Alaska as a what?
- Answer: Musher
- Question 8: What was the maximum load of the elevator in Communciations Tower B?
- Answer: 300 kilograms (650 pounds)
- Question 9: What type of storage media did the ArmsTech president give Snake?
- Answer: Optical disk
- Question 10: What is the title of the ending theme?
- Answer: The Best Is Yet To Come
- Answer: Shadow Moses
- Question 1: What did Snake call Otacon's love for a certain female character?
- Answer: Stockholm syndrome
- Question 2: When Otacon visited Snake at his cell after he was captured, he gave him Sniper Wolf's hankerchief, rations, ketchup, and which level of security card?
- Answer: Level 6
- Question 3: Which boss character was not a member of the newly formed FOXHOUND unit?
- Answer: Cyborg Ninja
- Question 4: What was the name of the studio (later renamed to Kojima Productions) that developed MGS1?
- Answer: KCE Japan
- Question 5: In MGS1, who did Otacon fall in love with?
- Answer: Sniper Wolf
- Question 6: Johnny Sasaki ended up unconscious and unclothed outside the holding cells. In the Japanese version he wore boxer shorts to hide his private parts. How were they hidden in the Western versions of the game?
- Answer: Pixelization
- Question 7: Snake attempted to give Meryl a handgun of which caliber?
- Answer: 0.45
- Question 8: After escaping the base, Snake and Meryl encountered a family of which animal?
- Answer: Caribou
- Question 9: In total, how many prototypes were made of the stealth camouflage Otacon developed?
- Answer: 5
- Question 10: What did the "PAL" in "PAL key" signify?
- Answer: Permissive action link
- Answer: Stockholm syndrome
Search the indicated locations to obtain all 17 cassette tapes and get the "Information" trophy. Only 12 cassette tapes actually need to be manually collected, as the other 5 will automatically be unlocked while collecting them. Some can be collected like the XOF unit patches, while others are a reward for rescuing certain prisoners, interrogating enemies, or simply completing a mission with any rank. You also have to complete all missions (including the "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op mission) on the Hard difficulty to unlock one of the tapes. The Hard difficulty becomes available after completing a mission for the first time. Even though all collectibles are on the same map, you will have to collect them over the course of different missions. Each tape only spawns within a certain mission. Make sure to collect them in the shown order, as some tapes disappear if you progress too far in a mission. If that happens, you must restart the mission from the beginning. After collecting a tape, if you die before reaching the next checkpoint to save your progress, you have to collect the tape again. You can see how many cassette tapes you have collected under the "Play Records" option at the title screen. Select "Record Totals" and scroll all the way down. Each tape has its own specific name. You can also listen to them and see their names under the "Cassette Tapes" option at the title screen.
Search the indicated locations to find all five Moai statues during the "Intel Operative Rescue" Side Op mission:
1. On top of the tower after the first five enemies and the helicopters circle around to the warehouse area.
2. Inside Chico's cell.
3. In the watchtower, on the corner of the administrator building, where the guard tries to fire a rocket launcher.
4. Get off the helicopter, and kill all of the enemies at the base. Run to the rocket launcher, wait for the gate to open, then allow the tank to pass. The Moai statue can then be found at the bottom right corner of the gate. It must be collected before the gate closes.
5. Search the square roof at the base of the large tower where the other helicopter blows up. You may need to circle the tower a few times to get the opportunity to hit it.
Search the indicated locations in the "Ground Zeroes" mission to find all nine XOF unit patches and get the "Insignia" achievement. Note: All collectibles are found during the "Ground Zeroes" mission. After obtaining a collectible, you must reach the next checkpoint to save the progress. If you die before saving the game, you will have to collect it again.
1. At the beginning of the mission, turn around to find an XOF patch near the edge of the rocky cliff.
2. Lay on the ground and roll around until a cutscene begins showing there is an XOF patch stuck to Snake. Then, pick up the patch on the ground.
3. From the beginning point of the rescue operation, go to the street below, and proceed left. Go down to the camp below, and look to the right of the planks of wood and red and white barrel (near the puddles of water) to find the patch.
4. From the tents, move towards the white buildings to find a chain link fence with three generators inside. Pick the gate's lock, and climb onto the leftmost generator to find the patch.
5. Go down to the southeast corner of the map, where a road leads to the prison section, to reach a small guard shack overlooking the entrance. Climb onto the roof to find the patch.
6. From the location of the previous patch, go down the road, and enter the main gate that Skullface used in the intro to enter the prison camp. The patch is right next to the door, in the mud.
7. Proceed to the helicopter pad in the main section of the base. Make sure to be careful in this, as it is heavily guarded. The patch is on the ground, ahead of the main road entrance, near a grey box with wires hanging out and some generators surrounded by waist-high railings.
8. On the road to the tall building, there is a heavily guarded gate before entering the complex. To the right of the road is an elevator and open drainage crawl space. Drop down into the small drainage hole in the ground and lay down to grab the patch.
9. Outside the main gate, ahead of the previous patch, is a red door to the right. Enter it, and climb the electrical boxes to jump to a lower roof nearby. The patch is on the steel roof vent of one of the mini-generators.
To get an "S" rank easily in the "Classified Intel Acquisition" Side Op mission, complete the following steps. The mission will begin with Snake in the back of a truck. Remain in there until you reach the Admin building. Once the gate opens, get out of the truck, and go to the parking and unloading zone to the left of the road. Quickly crawl under the pipes, then climb over the second set of pipes. Shoot the patrol guard to the right (near the parked jeep) with the Tranquilizer Gun. Then, climb up the ladder, and enter the central watch tower. Grab the tape, then go back down the ladder to the parked truck. Get in the back of the truck, and wait approximately a few minutes until the driver returns. Remain in the truck, and it will leave the base. You will complete the mission and get an "S" rank. Note: It does not matter how long this process takes, as time does not matter. You only need to ride the truck into the base, grab the tape, then ride the truck out. Make sure not to get spotted in the Admin building to gain an additional "No Reflex" bonus.
To get an "S" rank easily in the "Intel Operative Rescue" Side Op mission, complete the following steps. Do not get any kills in the mission. Destroying AA emplacements or armored vehicles does not count as a combat kill. Destroying manned cars, trucks, or choppers does count. First, select the non-lethal Stun Revolver secondary weapon in your inventory. After the operative gets in his jeep, you will have to deal with pursuing vehicles. Aim for the driver with the Stun Revolver, and shoot out the windows. Miller will warn Snake of an Anti-Air emplacement. Switch back to the rifle, and destroy the emplacement with the secondary grenade launcher attachment. Use the night-vision goggles to quickly scan the area for enemies. If it looks clear, use the grenade to destroy the emplacement. Try to take it out in one shot. Do not shoot the explosive barrels, and make sure to shoot the soliders first with the Recoilless Rifle. They are the biggest threat to your operative ally and chopper. After Snake is dropped off on the helicopter landing pad, run to the operative, and grab a rocket launcher. Destroy the armored vehicle with three shells, then clear out the remaining attackers until Morpho appears. During the final sequence, when the gunner appears in the pursuit helicopter's open door, use the Stun Revolver to knock him out (do not destroy the chopper with a grenade or explosive) to complete the mission and get an "S" rank.
In "Side Op: Eliminate The Renegade Threat", you have to extract both enemies while they are still alive to get the "Depth" trophy. You can knock them out, but do not kill them. The first target is located in the south, near the area with the white tents. He is a bald guy, patrolling along two other guards. You will see him fairly easily because he is the only enemy without a hat. Be sure to get to him as quickly as possible after the mission begins. Use the WU Silent Pistol to tranquilize him and the two other guards. Call the helicopter, and extract him. Next, go to the north, where the helipads are located. In the large watch tower of the admin building is another soldier without a hat. He is also guarded by two other enemies. Go through the red door on the far left, take out all the guards and cameras, and he will come down a ladder. You can kill his two bodyguards while they are going down the ladder. Knock him out, and put him in the car that is parked in the same area. Then, drive out of the mission area while he is sitting inside to get the trophy.
In "Side Op: Destroy The Anti-Air Emplacements", there are four prisoners you must rescue to get the "Extraction" trophy. The first one is being held in the same cell where you found Paz during the "Ground Zeroes" main mission (in the basement of the admin building). Call the extraction helicopter to the beach at the east side of the map, and safely carry the prisoner out to it. The other three prisoners are all in the same location. They are in the cells where you found Chico during the "Ground Zeroes" mission, which is right next to the beach with the extraction point. Thus, you do not have to travel far after the first extraction, and there are very few enemies guarding the place. Just open their cells, call the helicopter, and extract each prisoner. All prisoners must be alive when you extract them. After putting the fourth prisoner in the chopper, you will get the trophy.
The "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op is a PlayStation exclusive mission. To get the "Reminiscence" trophy, you must interact with seven objects in order to see flashbacks of the original Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation. The objects are pretty close together -- so it should not take too long to find and interact with them. Avoid being detected at the beginning, and go to the helipad in the northern part of the map. If you kill the guards in front of the helipad or destroy the helicopter, you will not be able to trigger the flashback any longer. Some of the other scenes can also become missable if you destroy their respective objects (jeep, tank, camera). You can open the in-game menu, and highlight the "Mission Objectives" to view which scenes you have completed. You must do all of them in one playthrough to get the trophy. You will get the trophy after completing the mission. To end the mission, you need to crawl through an air vent near the gate in the north.
You can rescue the prisoner to be executed and extract him with the helicopter at the beginning of the "Ground Zeroes" mission. After opening the locked fence, you can see an area with a lot of white tents on the left side. In the north-western corner of this area, past the tents, is a wooden shack. Inside it is the prisoner in orange clothing. Pick him up, and call the extraction chopper. Put the prisoner in the chopper by holding Circle to get the "Rescue" trophy.
Successfully complete one of the following tasks to get a trophy:
- Reunion (Bronze): Reunite with Chico or Paz.
- Downfall (Bronze): Clear the "Ground Zeroes" mission.
- Genesis (Bronze): Clear a Side Op or Extra Op.
- Accomplished (Bronze): Clear all missions (including Side Ops and Extra Ops).
- Skilled (Silver): Clear any mission (including Side Ops and Extra Ops) with a S-rank.
- Hero (Gold): Clear all missions (including Side Ops and Extra Ops) with a S-rank.
- Rescue (Bronze): In the "Ground Zeroes" mission, rescue the prisoner to be executed and extract him via chopper.
- Depth (Bronze): Clear the "Eliminate the Renegade Threat" Side Op by extracting both targets.
- Pacifist (Bronze): Clear the "Intel Operative Rescue" Side Op without killing a single enemy.
- Infiltration (Bronze): Clear the "Classified Intel Acquisition" Side Op while riding in the back of a truck.
- Extraction (Bronze): In the "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" Side Op, rescue and extract all prisoners via chopper.
- Reminiscence (Bronze): Recreate all scenes in the "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op.
- Unlocked (Bronze): Unlock all trials.
- Information (Bronze): Obtain all cassette tapes.
- Insignia (Bronze): Obtain all XOF unit patches.
- Downfall (Bronze): Clear the "Ground Zeroes" mission.