The Evil Within
Note: This game is also titled Psycho Break .
New Game+ mode
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty to unlock New Game+ mode for the same difficulty the game was completed on. In this mode, you will retain your previously obtained weapons, items, and upgrades. The enemies in New Game+ mode will also have an increased difficulty.
Successfully complete the game to unlock the AKUMA difficulty, which Sebastian dies in one hit.
Successfully complete the game to unlock the Nightmare difficulty, which gives you less ammo and more powerful enemies.
Successfully complete the game with a full archive to unlock the automatic handgun for use in New Game+ mode.
Successfully complete the game on the Nightmare difficulty to unlock the brass knuckles for use in New Game+ mode.
Successfully complete the game on the Nightmare difficulty to unlock the burst pistol for use in New Game+ mode. Alternately, complete the game with all map fragments found. Then, start a New Game+ mode game with the cleared game data. After you can enter the back area, go to the right where the map fragment holder is found. It will be glowing red if all fragments were collected. Interact with this map, and an attaché case will appear on the nearby table, which contains the burst pistol.
High-powered sniper rifle
Collect all map fragments, and successfully complete the game. Start a New Game+ mode game with the cleared game data. After you can enter the back area, go to the right where the map fragment holder is found. It will be glowing red if all fragments were collected. Interact with this map, and an attaché case will appear on the nearby table, which contains the high-powered sniper rifle.
Successfully complete the game to unlock the machine gun for use in New Game+ mode.
Successfully complete the game to unlock the rocket launcher for use in New Game+ mode.
50,000 Green Gel
Successfully complete the game to get 50,000 Green Gel.
“Model Viewer” option
Successfully complete the game to unlock the “Model Viewer” option.
Easy Green Gel
Play Chapter 7 on the Survival difficulty. While progressing, conserve as much ammunition and trap parts as possible. Try using the existing spike traps to kill various enemies. If done correctly, you will encounter the Keeper boss with approximately 30 traps and a decent amount of ammunition for your various weapons. Begin the Boss battle as normal by shutting down the poison gas. After closing the final valve, remain in the area and keep fighting. The Keeper boss will keep respawning from the safes about 30 times. Keep defeating him to get 2,000 Green Gel each time. With fully upgraded damage on your harpoon bolts and pistol, only one hit with each of those weapons will be needed to defeat him. By the end of all the fights, you should have collected approximately 70,000 Green Gel. Note: You cannot damage the Keeper for a few seconds after he spawns. To get more trap parts, use the Keeper’s barbed wire mines. Simply wait for the Keeper to deploy his mines, then kill him. Use the free time during his respawn to disarm the mines. Additionally, keep a sniper rifle or shotgun as a backup weapon in case you run out of harpoon bolts.
All key locations
Search the indicated locations to find all 46 locker keys. The keys are required to open the safes in the hospital (where you save the game). 44 of the keys are scattered across the story, and the other 2 can be found inside the lockers. Open all the lockers to get the “Master Of Unlocking” achievement. Each locker contains useful items, such as ammo or Green Gel to upgrade your skills. There are only 45 lockers — so there is one extra key in the game. Most of the keys are inside white Madonna Statues. Destroy the statue to reveal the key. Some keys can be found in little boxes throughout the story. There is no way to keep track of which keys you have already obtained. If you die after getting a key, you have to pick it up again. Your progress is only saved after reaching a checkpoint. You can grab missing keys through chapter select after completing the game.
Easy “À La Corvo” achievement
During Chapter 2, the only zombie you are allowed to kill to get the “À La Corvo” achievement is the very first one where you obtain the revolver. You may damage other zombies, but do not kill them with your weapons or melee attacks. However, it is fine if they walk into traps and kill themselves. This does not count as a kill and will not void the achievement. Just run past all enemies. It does not matter if they see you or not. When you reach the gate, you have to open it with a crank. Some zombies will wake up nearby and attack you. When this happens, let go of the crank and lure them far away. Then, run back to the gate and open it.
Easy “Bathed In Flames” achievement
Note: It is highly recommended to attempt this during New Game+ mode, which is unlocked after completing the game. You can then select “New Game+” at the main menu, and load Chapter 10 at the chapter selection screen. You will automatically start with the rocket launcher, which will make this significantly easier. The part for this achievement starts when you reach the crematorium where everything is burning. Before this point, you cannot kill Laura (she will always flee when she is about to die and regenerate her health — so just ignore her until you get to this point). Use the fire traps and corpses to burn her. While she is burning, you can attack with the rocket launcher. It takes approximately ten direct hits with the rocket launcher to kill her and get the “Bathed In Flames” achievement.
Easy “Bloody Bar Brawl” achievement
A great place to sneak kill an enemy after hitting them with a bottle is in Chapter 2, in the area after the zombie that is banging on the door. Go up the hill to find a zombie next to a campfire. Grab one of the bottles from the ground, and throw it at his head. It is important that you hit his head to stun him for a few seconds. Then, quickly run up to him, and perform a sneak kill to get the “Bloody Bar Brawl” achievement.
Easy “Drop It Like It’s Hot” achievement
During Chapter 2, in front of the gate that you need to open are two zombies sleeping on the ground. Do not use the crank for the gate yet, as it will wake them up. Lure another zombie to them, and shoot him in the leg so that he falls to the ground. When all three are close together, drop a match to burn them and get the “Drop It Like It’s Hot” achievement. If you fail to kill all three zombies, load your last auto save to try it again. Just make sure the third zombie lands on top of the two sleeping zombies. If you are out of matches, you can find some in the buildings of this area.
Easy “Entry Level Electrician” achievement
During Chapter 14, you will have to turn on a generator. Next to the generator is a panel where you can solve a circuit diagram. You have to put all three pieces in the right position to power up all electrical equipment simultaneously. You cannot leave the panel in between. If you only power up two parts and then do the third one separately, it will not count. Once everything is correctly in place, exit out of the panel to get the “Entry Level Electrician” achievement.
Easy “Everybody Gets One” achievement
To get the “Everybody Gets One” achievement, you have to save Joseph from falling off a ledge in Chapter 6. A couple of minutes into this chapter, you will reach some ruins. On the rooftops is a wooden bridge. You need to climb up there using one of the ladders, and wait for Joseph to be pushed off the bridge by the enemies. Then, help Joseph back to get the achievement. Getting the enemies to push Joseph off the bridge requires some luck. It helps if you wait until the enemies with the gatling guns start shooting at you. If Joseph kills all the enemies on the bridge, you must reload the last autosave to try again.
Easy “Home Is Where The Hospice Is” achievement
At the very beginning of Chapter 4, follow your teammate (the doctor) for a couple of seconds until he stops in front of the entrance door to a building. Go in and explore the ground floor. In one of the rooms is an old friend of the doctor that turned into a zombie. Kill him to trigger a cutscene and get the “Home Is Where The Hospice Is” achievement after the cutscene ends.
Easy “I Don’t Have Time for This!” achievement
During Chapter 7, you will encounter Keepers for the first time. They are the large enemies with a metal box on their head. To get the “I Don’t Have Time for This!” achievement, you are only allowed to kill two of them (and those two have to be killed to progress in the mission). The first one you encounter has to be killed to open a door. This will bring you to a gassed area where a lot of Keepers spawn infinitely. You may not kill them. Instead, use the valves to make the gas go away. In the room with the second valve, another Keeper will spawn. This is the last one you are allowed to kill. The third valve is the biggest challenge. It takes some time to turn it off, and one of the Keepers will be hunting you. Lure him to the opposite side of the area, and shoot him with a Freeze Bolt to slow him down. Then, quickly run over to the third valve, and turn it off. Successfully complete the chapter to get the achievement.
Easy “Item Management” achievement
During Chapter 8, you must not shoot any of your weapons to get the “Item Management” achievement. You can equip your weapons, but you are not allowed to use them. The only tough part is at the very beginning where there are several enemies roaming the area. You need to use a crank to open a gate, but there are two enemies in front of it. You have to lure them away to the other end of the cave. Just let them see you, and slowly walk away (not too fast or they will lose you and return to their original positions). Once you have lured them away, run back to the gate as quickly as possible and open it. The rest of the chapter is easy. Simply run past all the enemies to complete the chapter in a few minutes.
Easy “Knife Beats Chainsaw” achievement
At the end of Chapter 3, you will fight a big chainsaw zombie. Before entering this fight, you should eliminate all other enemies in the area to make it a lot easier to get the achievement. To perform an easy sneak kill on the Boss, fire flash bolts with your crossbow. A flash bolt can be found in the watch tower on the right side of the area. You can always craft more for two crafting materials per bolt (disable traps to gain enough upgrade materials). Before stunning the Boss, make sure to weaken him. Shoot him twice with explosive bolts, twice with standard harpoon bolts, and twice with the shotgun. You should then be able to perform a sneak attack with the knife to kill him and get the “Knife Beats Chainsaw” achievement. If you did not weaken him enough, just keep crafting flash bolts, shoot them at him, and keep doing sneak attacks until he is dead.
Easy “Not Part Of The Job Description” achievement
To get the “Not Part Of The Job Description” achievement, you must rescue Kidman from the water tank without Joseph taking any damage (he is your teammate) in Chapter 5. Joseph’s health bar is displayed on the left side of the screen. If he loses any health, you must immediately reload the last autosave. It is fine if Joseph loses health before this part of the mission, but he is not allowed to lose health during the water tank part. It is recommended to attempt this in New Game+ mode since you will have significantly better equipment. Thus, if you have trouble doing this during your first playthrough, try it again during your second playthrough. The start of the fight is by far the hardest part. There are lots of enemies coming from all directions, and Joseph is standing in the middle of the area without any cover. The best strategy is to use grenades and shoot explosive bolts and shock bolts on the ground in front of the cages where the enemies come from. The bolts act like mines and explode when an enemy gets close to them. The explosive bolt is very useful, as it will often take out three or more enemies at once when they come running out of the cages. The shock bolt stuns enemies for a moment, which gives you time to clear the area. After the first big wave of enemies are dead, it gets increasingly easier. The number of enemies in each wave will drop, and they will come from one direction only. Kill them close to their spawn point so they do not even have a chance to get close to Joseph.
Easy “Silent Kill” achievement
In Chapter 2, search for a single enemy near a checkpoint, then sneak kill him with your knife from behind, and load the last autosave. Repeat this until you have performed five sneak kills without being detected to get the “Silent Kill” achievement. There is a great spot in Chapter 2 where an enemy is standing next to a campfire, and there is a checkpoint at the same place. Kill him, pause the game, load the autosave, and repeat. You can also farm all other kill achievements in the same way.
Easy “The Quick And The Dead” achievement
Successfully complete the game once, then take as much time as desired to get the remaining Green Gels for all the upgrades. Also, salvage parts and ammunition. Once your ammo and skills are ready, start a speed run in New Game+ mode from Chapter 1 on the Casual difficulty. Starting a New Game+ from any other chapter will retain your previously recorded time, but starting from Chapter 1 will reset all subsequent times. Once started, play as quick as possible. Cutscenes will also add to your time; skip them whenever possible. Skip collecting Green Gel, and get ammunition only when it is in plain sight. Go to the safe room only when required. Save the rocket launcher and Magnum for Bosses, as well as incapacitating bolts.
Accomplish the indicated achievement to get the corresponding number of Gamerscore points:
- First Step into Darkness (30 points): Completed the game on Casual difficulty.
- Another Day on the Job (40 points): Completed the game on Survival difficulty.
- Master of Horror (50 points): Completed the game on Nightmare difficulty.
- Every Nook and Cranny (30 points): Collected every collectable in the game.
- Master of Unlocking (15 points): Opened up all the lockers in the save room.
- Hardbody (30 points): Fully upgraded all of Sebastian’s attributes.
- My Best Friend (10 points): Completely upgraded one weapon.
- The Power of Three (25 points): Completely upgraded three weapons.
- Unstoppable Arsenal (40 points): Completely upgraded all weapons.
- Why Can’t I Hold All This Ammo? (20 points): Upgraded all options in the Stock menu.
- Blow Up the Playing Field (25 points): Killed 10 enemies using the Rocket Launcher.
- Full House (10 points): Killed 5 enemies with each type of Agony Bolt.
- Silent Kill (20 points): Killed 5 enemies in a row with a sneak kill without being discovered.
- Burn, Baby, Burn! (10 points): Killed 5 enemies with a torch.
- …And the Corpses Mount (10 points): Killed 30 enemies.
- Krimson PD Fury (20 points): Killed 200 enemies.
- One Man Army (35 points): Killed 400 enemies.
- Ammo Conservationist (10 points): Killed 25 enemies with melee attacks.
- Bloody Bar Brawl (10 points): Sneak Killed an enemy after hitting them with a bottle.
- Drop It Like It’s Hot (10 points): Killed 3 living enemies with one drop of a match.
- The Quick and the Dead (45 points): Finished the game with a clear time of under 5:00:00.
- It Is What It Is (60 points): Finished the game without upgrading any skills with green gel.
- You Asked For It (60 points): Finished the game on 悪夢(AKUMU) mode.
- À la Corvo (15 points): Opened the gate to the village without killing a single enemy in Chapter 2.
- Knife Beats Chainsaw (40 points): Took out the Sadist with a sneak kill in Chapter 3.
- Home is Where the Hospice is (15 points): Experienced the vision in the Hospice in Chapter 4.
- Not Part of the Job Description (25 points): Rescued Kidman without Joseph taking any damage in Chapter 5.
- Everybody Gets One (5 points): Saved Joseph from falling off a ledge in Chapter 6.
- I Don’t Have Time for This! (10 points): Escaped from the Catacombs killing only 2 Keepers in Chapter 7.
- Item Management (10 points): Finished Chapter 8 without firing a single weapon.
- Bathed in Flames (25 points): Defeated Laura before riding the elevator in Chapter 10.
- Not a Scratch on Her! (15 points): Drove down the highway without hitting a single enemy in Chapter 12.
- Entry Level Electrician (15 points): Powered up all electrical equipment simultaneously in the subway in Chapter 14.
Additionally, there are eight secret achievements:
- Weapon of Choice (20 points): Defeated the Sadist within the village.
- Old Flame (20 points): Finished off a shrieking beast.
- Two on Two (25 points): Took out both guardians before the church.
- What’s In The Box?! (20 points): Escaped the Keeper beneath the catacombs.
- The First, Not the Last (40 points): Ended a monstrosity in the underground garage.
- Arachnophobia (15 points): Outran a gigantic threat in the city.
- Slither into Oblivion (25 points): Removed an invisible enemy from the equation.
- One of the Many (45 points): Defeated the ultimate evil within.
The following achievements require “The Assignment” bonus downloadable content:
- Prank Call (15 points): Lure an enemy with a phone call and lock them in a room. (Ch. 1).
- Clutch! (15 points): Use a single trap to kill two or more enemies in The Assignment. (Ch. 2).
- All You Need is Axe (15 points): Survive the duel without using any electronic devices in the environment. (Ch. 2).
- Death Grip (15 points): Get a Cadaver to grab and kill a Haunted. (Ch. 2).
- Doctor’s Notes (40 points): Collect all Research Documents in The Assignment.
- A Piece of My Past (15 points): Collect all Personnel Files in The Assignment.
- A Warning (15 points): Complete the hidden letter in The Assignment.
- Not Afraid of the Dark (40 points): Clear The Assignment in KURAYAMI Mode.
Additionally, there are two secret achievements with “The Assignment” bonus downloadable content:
- A Different Beginning (15 points): Clear Chapter 1, “An Oath.”
- Not as it Seems (40 points): Clear Chapter 2, “Crossing Paths.”
The following achievements require “The Consequence” bonus downloadable content:
- Fumbling in the Dark (20 points): Turn on the generator using no more than 10 chemical lights. (Ch. 3)
- A Real Hero (20 points): Save Sebastian’s life in the hotel. (Ch. 4)
- There Will Not Be Blood (20 points): Get through the hotel without being spotted or killing any enemies. (Ch. 4)
- Stick to the Script (20 points): Defeat Ruvik before the final showdown in The Consequence. (Ch. 4)
- It’s All Your Fault (40 points): Collect all Research Documents in The Consequence.
- Becoming an Agent (15 points): Collect all Personnel Files in The Consequence.
- This is Just the Beginning (15 points): Complete the hidden letter in The Consequence.
- None More Dark (40 points): Clear The Consequence in KURAYAMI Mode.
Additionally, there are two secret achievements with “The Consequence” bonus downloadable content:
- Things Fall Apart (20 points): Clear Chapter 3, “Illusions.”
- Where Do We Go From Here? (40 points): Clear Chapter 4, “A Ghost is Born.”
The following achievements require “The Executioner” bonus downloadable content:
- Nosy Parent (15 points): Collect all Daughter’s Diaries in The Executioner.
- Cruel and Unusual (40 points): Complete all Torments.
- I Might Close Early (20 points): Purchase all items in the Shop.
- Krimson Chainsaw Massacre (15 points): Kill 10 basic Haunted with the chainsaw.
- Trapper and Keeper (15 points): Kill 10 basic Haunted with environmental traps in The Executioner.
- Got to Destroy the Brain (20 points): Use Executions on 20 basic Haunted.
- Home Invasion (15 points): Clear the first and second floors of the manor house in The Executioner.
- The Craftsman’s Tools (15 points): Clear the basement of the manor house in The Executioner.
- I’ve Got Box of Steel (40 points): Clear The Executioner without taking any damage.
Additionally, there is one secret achievement with “The Executioner” bonus downloadable content:
- You Had This Coming (40 points): Get payback on the cop who took down your predecessor.