Ultimate Flash Sonic Summary
Ultimate Flash Sonic is a fan-made Sonic game for web browsers that runs on Adobe Flash. Initially releasing on Newgrounds in 2004, Ultimate Flash Sonic is now hosted on multiple websites. The title is actually one of several fan-made web-based games featuring Sonic the Hedgehog. It uses many of the same sprites and other assets from Sonic Advance on Game Boy Advance.
Players control Sonic using the arrow keys and spacebar on the keyboard, with the arrow keys moving Sonic and the spacebar handling all other actions. In addition to using many of the same graphical assets from Sonic Advance, the title features very similar gameplay to the Game Boy Advance Sonic titles.
Ultimate Flash Sonic Premise
The basic premise of Ultimate Flash Sonic is essentially identical to all other 2D Sonic games. Players control Sonic or one of his allies as they move from left to right on a scrolling screen. As players move from left to right they collect rings and maneuver through obstacles. Due to Sonic’s speed, there’s much more verticality and variety in the platforms players navigate. In addition to several enemies placed throughout the level, there are also environmental hazards. Running into an enemy without attacking it or falling into one of these environmental hazards causes Sonic to lose his rings. If Sonic gets hit again after losing his rings, he will lose a life. Losing all of your available lives results in a Game Over.
Players attempt to stop Dr. Robotnik and his evil robot army as either Sonic or one of his many companions. Each of Sonic’s companions has their own special abilities and unique move set that differentiate them from the blue hedgehog. Levels are instead “Zones” and are typically different kinds of fantastic locations or environments. Within these Zones, players make their way through 2 or 3 stages or “Acts”. At the end of the final Act in each Zone, players face off against a robotic boss created by Dr. Robotnik.
Ultimate Flash Sonic Main Characters
In addition to the titular hero and his regular arch-nemesis, Ultimate Flash Sonic features several notable characters from across the Sonic franchise. Each of these characters is playable once certain conditions are met and have their own unique abilities. The main characters in Ultimate Flash Sonic include:
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Sonic is the famous blue hedgehog. His speed and skill make him a formidable opponent to his nemesis Dr. Robotnik. He repeatedly foils Robotnik’s schemes as he tries to gain control of all the Chaos Emeralds. Sonic is the base playable character and can run, jump, and spin-dash.
- Tails: Miles “Tails” Prower is Sonic’s sidekick and friend. He is a twin-tailed fox that uses his twin-tails to fly in a fashion similar to a helicopter. He is not as fast as Sonic but has the ability to fly short distances and float or hover between platforms.
- Knuckles: Knuckles is the red echidna who was once Sonic’s enemy and is now his ally. He is fast but, more importantly, can launch himself into walls and climb using his spiked knuckles.
- Cream & Cheese: Cream is a rabbit that is also one of Sonic’s allies and a playable character in Ultimate Flash Sonic. She is accompanied by her pet Chao Cheese. The two of them have the ability of flight as well.
- Amy Rose: Amy Rose is the female hedgehog who first appeared in the comics and animated series based on Sonic the Hedgehog before becoming a prominent fixture in the video games. In addition to her trademark speed as a fellow hedgehog with Sonic, she uses a hammer.
- Shadow: Shadow the Hedgehog is another character who makes an appearance in Ultimate Flash Sonic after being featured in previous series titles. He is a secret character that can be unlocked after completing the game with Amy.
- Dr. Robotnik: Dr. Robotnik is the mad scientist and antagonist of the Sonic games. His primary goal is to collect all the Chaos Emeralds and use them to power an unstoppable robot army bent on world domination.
Games in the Fan-Made Sonic Flash Series
Ultimate Flash Sonic is one of several fan-made Sonic games that runs using Adobe Flash. To date, other fan-made Flash games featuring Sonic include:
- Sonic 3D Snowboarding
- Sonic Adventures 2
- Sonic Boom Cannon
- Sonic Lost in Mario World
- Ultimate Flash Sonic
Ultimate Flash Sonic Cheats
Ultimate Flash Sonic features several cheats that players can enter to alter gameplay. To enter these cheats, simply navigate to the “Password” option in the main menu and key in the cheats as they appear. Note that the option to enter cheats doesn’t appear until after completing Act 1 and Act 2.
- Unlock Sonic Run 2, Tails Follows, Behind, Big Cheese, Moon Gravity, and Jukebox (Master Cheat): 595313131313131
- Unlock Sonic Run 2 and Tails: 211313101010101
- Unlock Sonic: 115310101010101
- Unlock Knuckles: 115010131010101
- Unlock Tails: 115013101010101
- Unlock Cream: 211010131310101
- Sonic Run 2: Changes Sonic’s running animation to the one used in Sonic Advance for GBA
- Tails Follows: Tails will follow behind the player character in-game
- Behind: Places the player character sprite in the background behind level assets
- Big Cheese: Makes Cheese’s sprite the same size as Cream
- Moon Gravity: Changes the physics of the game to low gravity, enables higher jumping
- Jukebox: Adds a music selection feature to the pause menu
Ultimate Flash Sonic Cheat FAQs
What are the cheat codes for Ultimate Flash Sonic?
There is a master cheat that unlocks all available alternate modes. There are also individual character cheats that unlock characters without having to meet in-game requirements.
How do I enter cheats in Ultimate Flash Sonic?
Cheats can be entered from the main menu after completing at least Acts 1 and 2. Once Acts 1 and 2 are complete, select “Password” from the menu and enter any of the available cheats.