To easily kill shopkeepers, simply use rope. Before attacking a shopkeeper, look and see if they have any explosive objects. Shotguns, certain weapons, and bomb bags will explode when shot (be careful). When ready, walk up and stand directly on a shopkeeper. Launch a rope in his tiny cubby hole for him to be ejected out of the shop without his shotgun. Grab it and shoot the shopkeeper. Sometimes, shopkeepers will drop keys —- this only happens if there is a locked room beneath the shop. Throw the key away if it drops and grab the shotgun instead. Shopkeepers are quick, even without weapons. If there are bombs or other explosives in the shop, leave or walk past them before shooting the shotgun and killing the shopkeeper. Note: Killing a shopkeeper will mark you as an enemy for the rest of the game. You will get a great weapon early, but more shopkeepers will hunt you on each level. Any shopkeepers that spawn will patrol their shops with weapons drawn, and they do not spawn additional items. The level exits will also be guarded by one or two shopkeepers. Thus, this is a high risk, high reward option. If there are multiple useful items that will make the rest of your run easy, try going for it. You can also use the shotgun to kill future shopkeepers in later areas, or use the money to unlock shortcuts.Shortcuts
There are three shortcuts that can be unlocked at different points in the game. The first shortcut is located under the Quillback boss in Level 1-4. Starting from the shortcut will give you access to either of the two (left or right) paths. Exiting Level 1-4 will lead to an encounter with Terra. Fulfill her three requests to unlock a shortcut. Go left of the main door to find the shortcut paths once they are unlocked.
Shortcut 1: Start at the bottom of the final Dwelling, Level 1-4.
- Request 1: 2,000 Gold
- Request 2: 1 Bomb
- Request 3: 10,000 Gold
Shortcut 2: Start at the bottom of Olmec's Lair, Level 3-1.
- Request 1: 1 Rope
- Request 2: Any weapon — Shotguns, Bowguns, Machetes. Boomerangs are the easiest to find in the Jungle.
- Request 3: Any mount — Turkeys from the Dwelling or the Diamond Dogs in Volcana count.
Shortcut 3: Start that the bottom of the final Tide Pool, Level 4-4.
- Request 1: 50,000 Gold
- Request 2: Hired Hand — You can always get a Hired Hand where bonus characters spawn.
- Request 3: Gold Key — Special Key that spawns in the Dwelling, Level 1-2 or 1-3. You must bring it all the way down.
For completing one shortcut, you will get the "Mama's Little Helper" achievement. For completing two shortcuts, you will get the "Mama's Big Helper" achievement.Steam achievements
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding achievement. To view your achievements and stats in Steam, select "Community", "My profile", "View all my games", then the game and view stats.
- Seen It All: Complete the Journal.
- Ironman: Complete the game without using shortcuts in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- Low Scorer: Complete the game with no gold in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- Mama's Big Helper: Unlock all three shortcuts.
- Millionaire: End a run with $1,000,000 or more in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- Seen a Lot: Complete 50% of the Journal or more.
- Speedlunky: Complete the game in 10 minutes or less without shortcuts in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- VIP: Enter Madame Tusk's Palace of Pleasure as a guest (in a non-seeded run).
- Arena Champion: Win a First-to-Five Deathmatch against three bots using the Default ruleset.
- Feels Good: Make it past 1-4 in a non-seeded run.
- Journeyman: Complete the game in a non-seeded run.
- Mama's Little Helper: Unlock the first shortcut.
- Support a Local Business: Buy out Yang's Pet Shop in a non-seeded run.
- Track Star: Finish the Tutorial Speedrun in under 30 seconds.
- Turkey Whisperer: Bring two turkeys to Yang in a non-seeded run.
- You Got This: Unlock the entrance in a non-seeded run.
- Awakened: Reach the Cosmic Ocean in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- Legendary: Reach the City of Gold in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- Master: Complete the game by defeating Hundun in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- Survivor: Complete the Sun Challenge in a non-seeded run.
- A Second Chance: Obtain the Ankh in a non-seeded run.
- Chosen One: Obtain the Tablet of Destiny in a non-seeded run.
- Parenthood: Wake the Eggplant Child in a non-seeded run.
- Pilgrim: Reach the Sunken City in a non-seeded, single-player run.
- Torchbearer: Complete the Star Challenge in a non-seeded run.
- Divine Right: Obtain some royal headwear in a non-seeded run.
- Excavator: Complete the Moon Challenge in a non-seeded run.
- Her Favorite: Obtain the Kapala in a non-seeded run.
- Persistent: Reach the Ice Caves in a non-seeded run.
- Shadow Shopper: Reach the Black Market in a non-seeded run.
- Skills Improving: Make it past Olmec's Lair in a non-seeded run.