Left 4 Dead
At the main menu, select “Options”, then choose the “Keyboard/Mouse” selection. Enable the “Allow Developers Console” option. While playing the game, press ~ to display the console window. Type ” Sv_Cheats 1 ” and press [Enter] to enable cheat mode for everyone on your hosted server. Then, type one of the following codes at the console window and press [Enter] to activate the corresponding cheat function:
|Toggle invincibility||god [0 or 1]|
|Full health for your character||give health|
|Receive damage, but will cannot die||buddha|
|All weapons and ammunition||impulse 10|
|Toggle infinite ammunition||sv_infinite_ammo [0 or 1]|
|Toggle no clipping mode||noclip|
|Spawn indicated item||give [item name]|
|Spawn indicated item for NPCs||ent_create weapon_ [item name]|
|Spawn indicated NPC type||z_spawn [NPC name]|
|Spawn active pipebomb under you||boom|
|Spawn lit Molotov cocktail under you||fire|
|Remove a teammate; repeat for more||ent_remove|
|Infected cannot see you||nb_blind 1|
|Teleports all survivors to your position||warp_all_survivors_here|
|Teleports all survivors to the nearest checkpoint||warp_all_survivors_to_checkpoint|
|Teleports all survivors to the finale||warp_all_survivors_to_finale|
|Teleport yourself to the next chapter||warp_to_start_area|
|Quick change map||changelevel [map name]|
|Be spectator||ent_fire !self setteam 1|
|Be survivor||ent_fire !self setteam 2|
|Be infected||ent_fire !self setteam 3|
|Set number of normal zombies||z_common_limit [number]|
|Set number of panic zombies||z_mega_mob_size [number]|
|Set zombie health||z_health [number]|
|Set zombie speed||z_speed [number]|
|Set maximum range of Smoker’s tongue attack; default is 750||tongue_range [number]|
|Set time before a burning Witch dies from fire||z_witch_burn_time|
|Set amount of damage Witch’s attack does||z_witch_damage [number]|
|Toggle allowing witch to change targets instead||z_witch_allow_change_victim [0 or 1]|
|Set maximum health of Tank||z_tank_health [number]|
|Set number of seconds until the player loses control of Tank from not attacking survivors||z_frustration_lifetime [number]|
|Toggle if bots can do friendly fire damage||sb_friendlyfire [0 or 1]|
|Disable all wanderers, mobs, specials, and Bosses||director_stop|
|Force a panic||director_force_panic_infinite 1|
|Force a panic event||director_force_panic|
|Toggle never ending panics||director_panic_forever [0 or 1]|
|Toggle mob rushes||director_no_mobs [0 or 1]|
|Toggle controllable Boss Infected||director_no_human_zombies [0 or 1]|
|Set camera behind the shoulder in third person view||thirdpersonshoulder|
|Toggle set fixed camera in third person or third person shoulder view||thirdperson_mayamode|
|Third person view||thirdperson|
|Return to first person view||firstperson|
|Enable Internet LAN; enable while in “Campaign Lobby” screen||sv_lan 0|
|Start LAN server; enable while in “Campaign Lobby” screen||map [map name]|
|Display available servers||openserverbrowser|
|Restart game with cheats active; allows achievements to be earned with cheats||retry|
Use one of the following values with the ” give [item name]” code:
Use one of the following values with the ” z_spawn [NPC name]” code:
Use one of the following values with the ” changelevel [map name]” or ” map [map name]” code:
|No Mercy: The Apartments||changelevel l4d_hospital01_apartment|
|No Mercy: The Subway||changelevel l4d_hospital02_subway|
|No Mercy: The Sewer||changelevel l4d_hospital03_sewers|
|No Mercy: The Hospital||changelevel l4d_hospital04_interior|
|No Mercy: Rooftop Finale||changelevel l4d_hospital05_rooftop|
|Death Toll: The Turnpike||changelevel l4d_smalltown01_caves|
|Death Toll: The Drains||changelevel l4d_smalltown02_drainage|
|Death Toll: The Church||changelevel l4d_smalltown03_ranchhouse|
|Death Toll: The Town||changelevel l4d_smalltown04_mainstreet|
|Death Toll: Boathouse Finale||changelevel l4d_smalltown05_houseboat|
|Dead Air: The Greenhouse||changelevel l4d_airport01_greenhouse|
|Dead Air: The Crane||changelevel l4d_airport02_offices|
|Dead Air: The Construction Site||changelevel l4d_airport03_garage|
|Dead Air: The Terminal||changelevel l4d_airport04_terminal|
|Dead Air: Runway Finale||changelevel l4d_airport05_runway|
|Blood Harvest: The Woods||changelevel l4d_farm01_hilltop|
|Blood Harvest: The Tunnel||changelevel l4d_farm02_traintunnel|
|Blood Harvest: The Bridge||changelevel l4d_farm03_bridge|
|Blood Harvest: The Train Station||changelevel l4d_farm04_barn|
|Blood Harvest: Farmhouse Finale||changelevel l4d_farm05_cornfield|
|No Mercy: The Apartments||changelevel l4d_vs_hospital01_apartment|
|No Mercy: The Subway||changelevel l4d_vs_hospital02_subway|
|No Mercy: The Sewer||changelevel l4d_vs_hospital03_sewers|
|No Mercy: The Hospital||changelevel l4d_vs_hospital04_interior|
|No Mercy: Rooftop Finale||changelevel l4d_vs_hospital05_rooftop|
|Blood Harvest: The Woods||changelevel l4d_vs_farm01_hilltop|
|Blood Harvest: The Tunnel||changelevel l4d_vs_farm02_traintunnel|
|Blood Harvest: The Bridge||changelevel l4d_vs_farm03_bridge|
|Blood Harvest: The Train Station||changelevel l4d_vs_farm04_barn|
|Blood Harvest: Farmhouse Finale||changelevel l4d_vs_farm05_cornfield|
Play as infected
Enable the ” ent_fire !self setteam 3 ” code. After spawning and dying, press [Jump] until the camera changes into Free Roam mode. Then, enable one of the following ” z_spawn ” codes to play as that type of infected:
- z_spawn smoker
- z_spawn tank
- z_spawn boomer
- z_spawn hunter
Note: This procedure involves editing a game file; create a backup copy of the file before proceeding. Insert an Xbox 360 controller. Use a text editor to edit the “360controller.cfg” file in the “left4deadcfg folder” directory. Replace its content with the following:
- unbindall // Prevent mouse/keyboard control when gamepad is in use (to prevent autoaim exploit) joystick 1 joy_advanced “1” // use advanced joystick options (allows for multiple axes) joy_name “L4D Xbox360 Joystick Configuration” joy_advaxisx 3 // x-axis controls GAME_AXIS_SIDE (strafing left and right) joy_advaxisy 1 // y-axis controls GAME_AXIS_FORWARD (move forward and back) joy_advaxisz 0 // z-axis is treated like a button joy_advaxisr 2 // r-axis controls GAME_AXIS_PITCH (look up and down) joy_advaxisu 4 // u-axis controls GAME_AXIS_YAW (look left and right) joy_advaxisv 0 // v-axis is unused joy_forwardsensitivity -1.0 // movement sensitivity joy_sidesensitivity 1.0 joy_forwardthreshold 0.1 // movement dead zone settings joy_sidethreshold 0.1 joy_pitchsensitivity 1.0 // look sensitivity joy_yawsensitivity -1.5 joy_pitchthreshold 0.1 // look dead zone settings joy_yawthreshold 0.0 joy_variable_frametime 1 joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85 joy_autoaimdampen 0.5 joy_lowend 0.65 joy_lowmap 0.15 joy_accelscale 3.0 joy_accelmax 4.0 joy_response_move 5 joy_response_look 1 joy_autoaimdampen 0.3 joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85 joyadvancedupdate // advanced joystick update allows for analog control of move and look // Alternate control 1 bind “0” “slot10” bind “1” “slot1” bind “2” “slot2” bind “3” “slot3” bind “4” “slot4” bind “5” “slot5” bind “6” “slot6” bind “7” “slot7” bind “8” “slot8” bind “9” “slot9” bind “a” “+moveleft” bind “c” “+voicerecord” bind “d” “+moveright” bind “e” “+use” bind “f” “impulse 100” bind “h” “motd” bind “m” “chooseteam” bind “q” “lastinv” bind “r” “+reload” bind “s” “+back” bind “t” “impulse 201” bind “u” “messagemode2” bind “w” “+forward” bind “x” “+mouse_menu QA” bind “y” “messagemode” bind “z” “+mouse_menu Orders” bind “`” “toggleconsole” bind “SPACE” “+jump” bind “TAB” “+showscores” bind “ESCAPE” “cancelselect” bind “SHIFT” “+speed” bind “CTRL” “+duck” bind “F1” “Vote Yes” bind “F2” “Vote No” bind “F5” “jpeg” bind “MOUSE1” “+attack” bind “MOUSE2” “+attack2” bind “MOUSE3” “+zoom” bind “MWHEELUP” “invprev” bind “MWHEELDOWN” “invnext” // controller2 bindings cmd2 +jlook // enable joystick look cmd2 bind “A_BUTTON” “+jump;+menuAccept” // (A) button – Jump -menuAccpt allows us to make selections on hud menus cmd2 bind “B_BUTTON” “+reload” // (B) button – Reload cmd2 bind “X_BUTTON” “+use” // (X) Use cmd2 bind “Y_BUTTON” “lastinv” // (Y) button – swap pistol/rifle or z_abort -used to respawn as a ghost. cmd2 bind “R_TRIGGER” “+attack” // RT – Main weapon – Primary trigger cmd2 bind “L_TRIGGER” “+attack2” // LT – Melee cmd2 bind “R_SHOULDER” “+lookspin” // RB – Fast 180 spin cmd2 bind “L_SHOULDER” “toggle_duck” // LB – Duck – is also used to give objects to people. cmd2 bind “STICK1” “vocalize smartlook” // LS – vocalize cmd2 bind “STICK2” “+zoom” // RS click – Rifle Zoom // Fixed bindings, do not change these across joystick presets cmd2 bind “BACK” “togglescores” // (back) button – scores cmd2 bind “START” “pause” // (start) button – pause cmd2 bind “S1_UP” “+menuUp” // Hud menu Up cmd2 bind “S1_DOWN” “+menuDown” // Hud menu Down cmd2 bind “UP” “impulse 100” // DPad Up – Toggle flashlight cmd2 bind “LEFT” “slot3” // DPad Left – grenade cmd2 bind “RIGHT” “slot4” // DPad Right – health cmd2 bind “DOWN” “slot5” // DPad Down – Pills
At the main menu, select “Options”, then choose the “Keyboard/Mouse” selection. Enable the “Allow Developers Console” option. While playing the game, press ~ to display the console window. Type ” Exec 360controller.cfg ” and press [Enter], then set your split screen mode with the following console codes: ” ss_splitmode 1 ” (“Horizontal-Cut” for standard monitors) or ” ss_splitmode 2 ” (“Vertical-Cut” for widescreen monitors). Connect to a server. Join the server with the ” connect [IP address] 2 ” console code. You must now set the Xbox 360 controller to player two (with the light on the Xbox logo pointing to “2”). To do this, quickly unplug and reinsert the Xbox 360 controller while the game is running. You can now play in Co-op mode in split-screen.
Invincibility while reloading
Press [Reload], then hold [Melee] to knock back attacking zombies while reloading your gun. -From: Ryan Helgeson
Rapidly tap [Melee], [Weapon Switch] repeatedly. This will double your melee speed. This helps to complete the game on the Expert difficulty from hordes of attacking zombies.
When hordes of Infected appear, try to find a room with a door and no windows. Go inside, and close the door. The Infected may break the door, but when you see a hole in it, shoot the Infected trying to break it down. Your teammates can handle most of the Infected.
If you are low on health and need somewhere to hide, find a bathroom stall. Go inside the stall, and close the door. The door never breaks down. This works well if you are trying to heal yourself.
Easy wins as Infected in Blood Harvest: The Tunnel
There is a warehouse-type area immediately after the starting safe room. Quickly run back to the emergency door on the other side of the warehouse. There should be a forklift near the door. Spawn and push this forklift in front of the doorway. Note: You may need to break the white door in front of the emergency door to get the forklift all the way in front of the doorway.
Shortcut in Dead Air: The Construction Site
There is a metal door and a raised fence by the barricade that you burn. Jump on the fence, and follow it until it begins to go downward. At this point, jump on the metal siding door. Note: Some practice may be required.
Shortcut in Dead Air: The Crane
Jump on the fence after climbing on the vent cover. Go across the fence, then jump to the other side of the horizontal fence. Turn left, and go to the end. Jump up and to the right to the air conditioning unit box on the corner of the next building. Once on the next building, go to the left corner. Jump to the top branch of the tree below you. You will lose a lot of health after landing; however, you will be at the next safe room.
Shortcut in No Mercy: The Apartments
As soon as the level starts, look over the edge of the building and down to the street. Notice the box-like object that is partway down. Drop down to it. Although you will take some damage, you will still be alive. You can then drop down to the ground and continue the level.
Easy wins as Infected in No Mercy: The Hospital
Before you spawn, go all the way up to floor 28, where the elevator lets out. Just outside of the elevator is a generator. Move it in front of the elevator door. If the Survivors know what you are doing, they can move it. It requires three survivors to move an object. However, if you have someone else on the Infected side, they can go a little bit further and move the forklift in front of the doorway.
Easy kills as Infected in No Mercy: The Sewer
The Survivors must jump into a sewer hole at a certain point. As an Infected, use this to your advantage. While playing as a Smoker or Hunter, hide behind one of the large canisters in the room. Once one of the Survivors open the hole and are done checking the vicinity, they will jump in. Due to the fact they must jump in one at a time or get stuck, make sure you have a clear view of the last one in line. Once all three are down and the fourth Survivor is still up, pounce or grab him or her. By doing this, he or she will not be able to be saved, unless someone throws a Molotov cocktail or pipe bomb.
Easy wins as Infected in No Mercy: The Sewer
In the warehouse near the end of the level, immediately after the area with the gas station and the lift, there is a forklift which you can use to block the door the Survivors must go through. When the level starts, do not spawn. Instead, quickly go to the warehouse. When you get there, spawn and start pushing the forklift to the door. To push the forklift, keep attacking it. It will move very slowly, but you will have time to push it before the Survivors reach it. The only way the Survivors can move it is by throwing pipe bombs at it repeatedly.
This trick works best as a Hunter. Before you spawn in the No Mercy campaign, Level 3, go all the way to the very end, at the hospital. Once up the ladder, turn to your right, and there should be a dumpster. Move it all the way over to the manhole, and one of two things will happen. It will either fall all the way down, which is bad because the Survivors cannot move it; or it will partially fall in. The survivors cannot move this at all. If you are a Tank, you can move a car over it, which is better than the dumpster. From here, do not puke on them as a Boomer, as it will attract the Horde. The Horde will try to move the object away from the manhole. Then, attack them as Hunters and Smokers. They may shoot you, but every so often, you can hurt them until finally they die.
Stand behind any mounted minigun on any level, and melee it. You can do this by yourself or get other people to help. Every time your gun hits the minigun, its launching strength will increase. Once you hit it enough, jump on top of it. This will either make you bounce very high or launch you across the map to your death. Bouncing straight up on it allows you to get to unreachable places such as buildings, airplanes, barriers. etc.
Killing two zombies with one bullet
Use a sniper rifle, and zoom in on a group of zombies. When you see a zombie standing behind another one, shoot at the one in the front. The zombie in back will also get shot.
When Hunters are on fire, their pounces and attacks on Survivors do more damage per hit. Use this to your advantage, and deliberately set yourself on fire with fire pits or burning cars, then attack. This allows you to easily down Survivors. Note: This only works for Hunters, not Smokers, Boomers, or Tanks.
To kill a Tank faster, throw a Molotov cocktail, or a gas tank and shoot it. When the Tank is on fire, shoot him with an assault rifle.
To kill a Witch faster, throw a Molotov cocktail. When the Witch is on fire, shoot her with an automatic shotgun.
Easy “Akimbo Assassin” achievement
Start a campaign, and shoot a few zombies using only a pistol. Then, select the “Take A Break” option, and allow the NPCs to complete the campaign to get the “Akimbo Assassin” achievement.
Easy “Cr0wnd” achievement
Play on the Easy difficulty. Get a shotgun, and find a Witch. Quickly approach the Witch with your flashlight off. As she rises, quickly shoot her in the head to kill her and get the “Cr0wnd” achievement.
Easy “Dead Stop” achievement
Have a shotgun, and hold [Melee] while running at a Hunter.
Easy “Helping Hand” achievement
While in a safe house, preferably one with a combat shotgun, incapacitate the other three members of your group, then revive them. Doing this counts toward your achievement. It is easier with a combat shotgun because it deals a lot of damage fast. In a single player campaign, make sure all other survivors are in the lower red health area. When you incapacitate one of them, the others will try to revive them. You then need to shoot the others before they revive the incapacitated players or you will not get the points for reviving.
Easy “Man vs. Tank” achievement
Play Dead Air, Runway Finale on the Easy difficulty. Once you have made it to the tanker, refill your ammo, grab a pipe bomb or Molotov cocktail, then answer the radio, and start the gas pump. Once the pump is activated, run around to the right-hand side of the rescue plane, and prepare to fight off the Horde. A benefit of this position is that the Horde cannot come at you from behind. When it is time for the Tank to appear, it will usually spawn on the far side of the plane. Run up to opposite side, then run back and forth without coming around the plane to your side. Your AI teammates will not shoot the Tank when it is on the other side of the plane. By crouching you will be able to easily aim at the lower body from beneath the plane and take it down quickly.
Easy “Unbreakable” achievement
If you have a health pack and are low on health, pause the game, and select the “Take A Break” option. While you are idle, you will be healed. Once you are healed, rejoin the game, and the healing will not count against you. Note: This was done on the Easy difficulty.
Easy “Untouchables” achievement
In No Mercy, Level 5, when you climb to the rooftop, there is a small building with a satellite dish by where the helicopter lands. Climb on top of this building. There is a small staircase on one of the sides leading up to a sealed door (only zombies can open it). Stand above it on the edge, and knock the zombies down as they come up. Eventually one will knock the door down. The Survivors can stand against the back wall in the room, and no infected will come in, including the Tank. Once the helicopter lands, throw a pipe bomb, and quickly run to the helicopter. -From: murderdeathkillr
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding achievement. To view your achievements and stats in Steam, select “Community”, “My profile”, “View all my games”, then the game and view stats.
- 101 Cremations: Set 101 Infected on fire.
- Akimbo Assassin: Survive a campaign firing no guns other than pistols.
- All 4 Dead: Kill all four Survivors on one life as a Tank.
- Back 2 Help: Leave a safe room to save an incapped teammate and bring them back
- Barf Bagged: Cover four Survivors with Boomer bile at once.
- Big Drag: Drag a Survivor x distance with your tongue.
- Blind Luck: You or another Survivor take no damage after being vomited on by a Boomer.
- Brain Salad: Make 100 headshot kills.
- Bronze Mettle: Earn a Bronze medal in Survival mode on any official level.
- Burn the Witch: Light a Witch with a Molotov.
- Chain Smoker: Constrict two Survivors on one life as a Smoker.
- Clean Kill: Shove a Boomer and then kill him without him splashing on anyone.
- Cr0wnd: Kill a Witch with a single headshot.
- Dead Baron: Survive the Dead Air campaign.
- Dead Giveaway: Heal a fellow Survivor when your own health is below 10.
- Dead Stop: Punch a Hunter as he is pouncing.
- Dead Wreckening: Dole out 5000 total Survivor damage as a Special Infected.
- Distinguished Survivor: Earn at least a Bronze medal on every official Survival level.
- Do Not Disturb: Sneak past all Witches in a campaign without disturbing one.
- Double Jump: Pounce two different Survivors on one life as a Hunter.
- Drag and Drop: Rescue a Survivor from a Smoker’s tongue before he takes damage.
- Field Medic: Heal 25 Survivors with a first aid kit.
- Grim Reaper: Survive the Blood Harvest campaign.
- Ground Cover: Save another Survivor from a Special Infected while on the ground.
- Helping Hand: Revive 50 incapacitated Survivors.
- Hero Closet: Rescue a Survivor trapped in a closet.
- Heroic Survivor: Earn at least a Silver medal on every official Survival level.
- Hunter Punter: Shove a Hunter off of a pinned and helpless Survivor.
- Jump Shot: Headshot a Hunter while he’s leaping.
- Lamb 2 Slaughter: Incapacitate a Survivor after he has entered and exited a safe room.
- Last Stan: Complete one round of Survival on The Last Stand.
- Legendary Survivor: Earn a Gold medal on every official Survival level.
- Man vs Tank: Single-handedly kill a Tank.
- Mercy Killer: Survive the No Mercy campaign.
- My Bodyguard: Protect any Survivor from an attacking Infected 50 times.
- No Smoking Section: Kill 10 Smokers as they are pulling helpless Survivors.
- No-One Left Behind: Beat a campaign with all 4 Survivors.
- Nothing Special: Survive a campaign with no Survivors taking damage from Specials.
- Pharm-assist: Give pain pills to 10 Survivors.
- Pyrotechnician: Blow up 20 Infected in a single explosion.
- Red Mist: Kill 1000 Infected with a mounted machine gun.
- Safety First: Play through a campaign with no Survivors taking friendly fire damage.
- Silver Bullets: Earn a Silver medal in Survival mode on any official level.
- Spinal Tap: Kill an Infected with a single blow from behind.
- Stand Tall: Survive a campaign without being incapacitated.
- Stomach Upset: All Survivors complete a campaign without being vomited on.
- Tankbusters: Kill a Tank without it dealing any damage to a Survivor.
- Toll Collector: Survive the Death Toll campaign.
- Tongue Twister: Kill a Smoker who has grabbed you with his tongue.
- Towering Inferno: Light a Tank with a Molotov.
- Unbreakable: Beat a campaign without ever using a first aid kit on yourself.
- Untouchables: No Survivors take damage after contacting the rescue vehicle.
- Violence Is Golden: Earn a Gold medal in Survival mode on any official level.
- What Are You Trying To Prove?: Survive all campaigns on Impossible.
- Witch Hunter: Kill a Witch without any Survivor taking damage from her.
- Zombicidal Maniac: Survive any campaign on Impossible.
- Zombie Genocidest: Kill 53,595 Infected.
The following achievements require the “Crash Course” bonus downloadable content:
- 20 Car Pile-Up: As A Tank hit 20 Survivors with a car in the Crash Course campaign.
- Crash-Proof: Survive the Crash Course Campaign.
- Jumpin’ Jack Smash: Pounce a Survivor for 25 points of damage in the Crash Course campaign.
- Quick Power: Restart the generator within 30 seconds of it shutting off.
- Slippery Pull: Smoker pull a bile-covered Survivor until you hold him during Crash Course.
- Smash Hit: Win a Versus campaign of Crash Course.
- Tank Stumble: Stun a Tank with an explosion in the Crash Course campaign.
- The Littlest Genocide: Kill 5,359 Infected in the Crash Course campaign.
- Truck Stop: Your team wipes all Survivors after the escape vehicle has opened in Crash Course.
- Wipefest: Your team incapacitates three Survivors within five seconds.