SpongeBob’s Truth or Square Summary
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Why, SpongeBob SquarePants of course! SpongeBob’s Truth or Square is the video game adaptation of the SpongeBob SquarePants hour-long episode of the same name. While not even close to being the first video game based on the popular Nickelodeon show, Truth or Square is regarded as one of the best. Over a decade after its release, a popular campaign to bring the game back saw it arriving on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S via backward compatibility with the Xbox 360 version.
The plot of the game follows the same basic structure of the made-for-television animated film on which its based. Additionally, all of the key voice actors from the show return to reprise their roles in the game. In addition to a main quest line that follows the events of the “Truth or Square” episode, players can relive iconic moments from the show in the “10 Happiest Moments of SpongeBob’s Life.” The game also features a multiplayer mode where both players can play through the entire game together.
The PSP and Nintendo DS versions notably feature an exclusive level not in the console versions. While the game was received well by fans, critics were largely mixed on the title. Reviews place the game at a mixed 68% on Metacritic. Interestingly, most user reviews are positive while many of the reviews from games media rated the game commonly in the 4 out of 10 range.
SpongeBob’s Truth or Square Premise
SpongeBob’s Truth or Square puts players in the role of everyone’s favorite fast food employee, Bikini Bottom’s own SpongeBob SquarePants. Mirroring the same plot from the episode of the show it’s based on, SpongeBob has been tasked with the care of safeguarding the secret formula for the Krabby Patty. There’s only one problem — he doesn’t remember where he hid it. With things looking dire, SpongeBob turns to the unlikely ally of Plankton to use his Memory Machine in an attempt to track down the formula.
Of course, Plankton wants the formula for himself and is only helping SpongeBob to learn its secret. The plan backfires and players have to traverse through SpongeBob’s memories as the different levels. Gameplay takes place from a third-person perspective and is similar to other 3D adventure platform titles like Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie. In addition to playing the game single-player as SpongeBob, players can also complete the game in co-op. The second player controls Plankton as they make their way through SpongeBob’s memories.
While inside of his own memories, SpongeBob can shapeshift to suit various scenarios. He can become a sledgehammer and other melee implements to attack enemies. Additionally, he’ll encounter all of his Bikini Bottom friends by reminiscing on his memories. Fan-favorite characters such as Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs all make an appearance.
SpongeBob’s Truth or Square Main Characters
As one of several games based on the immensely popular animated show, SpongeBob Truth or Square features the main cast that fans would expect. In addition to SpongeBob Squarepants and Plankton, several of the show’s recurring characters make an appearance. Notably, each character is voiced by their same actor from the television show. Main characters in Truth or Square include:
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob is the titular main character of both Truth or Square and the show it’s based on. A yellow sponge wearing square pants, black loafers, and a wide grin, SpongeBob is an unmistakable figure. He is the hardest-working and most dedicated employee of the Krusty Krab, Bikini Bottom’s flagship fast food restaurant.
- Gary: Gary is SpongeBob’s pet snail, who (for some reason) meows like a cat.
- Plankton: Plankton is a nefarious rival to Mr. Krabs and is desperate for the secret Krabby Patty formula. Just like in the show, his sole motivation is to learn the secret formula for his own personal gain.
- Mr. Krabs: Owner of the Krusty Krab and SpongeBob’s boss, Mr. Krabs is an affable crab whose fast food acumen is only outclassed by his greed. Lover of all things green, especially money, Mr. Krabs runs a tight ship at his fast food establishment.
- Patrick: Patrick is the starfish that also happens to be SpongeBob’s best friend. What he lacks in intelligence he more than makes up for in heart and imagination.
- Squidward: Squidward is SpongeBob’s coworker and neighbor, though he’d arguably rather be neither. The polar opposite of SpongeBob’s enthusiasm and optimism, Squidward is a grumpy squid who considers both SpongeBob and Patrick to be beneath him.
- Sandy: Sandy is one of the only surface-dwellers living in Bikini Bottom. A squirrel wearing a diving suit, she’s good friends with both Patrick and SpongeBob. Occasionally, she’s SpongeBob’s romantic interest.
Games Based on SpongeBob Squarepants
The immense popularity of the SpongeBob SquarePants television show has led to the creation of several games based on the property since 2001. The show is one of the most successful and well-loved animation series of all-time. Like most licensed properties, the games based on the show have varied in quality but still persist to this day. Games based on the show include:
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Legend of the Lost Spatula (2001)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Operation Krabby Patty (2001)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Super Sponge (2001)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Employee of the Month (2002)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman (2002)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (2003)
- SpongeBob SquarePants and Friends in Freeze Frame Frenzy (2004)
- SpongeBob SquarePants Movin’ with Friends (2004)
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Lights, Camera, Pants! (2005)
- SpongeBob SquarePants and Friends: Unite! (2005)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Yellow Avenger (2005)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (2006)
- SpongeBob and Friends: Battle for Volcano Island (2006)
- SpongeBob and Friends: Attack of the Toybots (2007)
- SpongeBob’s Atlantis SquarePantis (2007)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Underwear Slam (2007)
- SpongeBob SquarePants featuring Nicktoons: Globs of Doom (2008)
- SpongeBob vs. The Big One: Beach Party Cook-Off (2009)
- SpongeBob’s Truth or Square (2009)
- SpongeBob’s Boating Bash (2010)
- SpongeBob SquigglePants (2011)
- SpongeBob’s Surf & Skate Roadtrip (2011)
- SpongeBob Moves In! (2013)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton’s Robotic Revenge (2013)
- SpongeBob HeroPants (2015)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom – Rehydrated (2020)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake (2023)
SpongeBob’s Truth or Square Cheats
Regardless of which version players have, cheats will be the same across all versions. To enter cheats, simply access the phone on the first floor of SpongeBob’s house, next to the sofa. Once you hit the corresponding button to enter numbers on the phone’s keypad, enter any of the following combinations for their effect.
|4825||All Concept Art & Cinematics|
|6647||Black and White Mode|
|3427||Super Strong Mode|
|4335||Super Weak Mode|
|3141||500 Happiness Nuggets (Coins)|
SpongeBob’s Truth or Square Cheat FAQs
How do you enter cheats in SpongeBob Truth or Square?
To enter cheats, go into SpongeBob’s house (the pineapple) and find the telephone. It is located next to the sofa. Pick up the phone and press your platform’s corresponding button to enter numbers on the keypad.
How long does it take to beat SpongeBob Truth or Square?
A normal playthrough will take someone about 4 hours. To reach 100% completion and earn all the achievements, you’ll be looking at closer to 8 hours.
What does SpongeBuff mode do?
Activating SpongeBuff mode gives SpongeBob unlimited extra strength. This makes combat much simpler, easily eliminating any challenge.