Strategy Guide/Walkthrough/FAQ - God Of War 2
God Of War
Press Right Analog-stick Forward to roll forward, then press R1 to execute a Hermes Rush shoulder charge before the roll ends. Repeat this to move faster.Infinite experience in Pandora's Temple
During Atlas's Quest in Pandora's Temple, you will encounter a series of stone walls which you can climb. Several armored legionnaires will try to knock you off of the wall. Kill all of them and climb to the top of the tallest ledge. A glitch Harpy will begin to screech, and blood (experience) will start to shoot at you. It will last for as long as you stay in the area. This is an easy way to raise your weapons and magic spells to the maximum. If you look close enough by one of the treasure chests, you will see what looks like a holographic Harpy flying in one spot.Easy kills
This trick requires at least a level 2 Blades Of Chaos and really helps when fighting multiple Minotaurs and other enemies. Knock the Minotaur (or different enemy) up with R1 + X. When in the air, release R1 and press Circle to grab its leg and hurl it back to the ground. The Minotaur will bounce back up, giving you multiple chances to repeat the throw. It should only take three or four throws to kill a Minotaur this way. As the Minotaurs get stronger, you will need to knock them back up by pressing the Right Analog-stick towards it, then pressing X. Note: This requires a level 5 Blades Of Chaos. This strategy works on other monsters, such as Skeleton Soldiers, Skeleton Archers, and Gorgons. Using this strategy with Gorgons may require more practice than it would with the other monsters.Easy experience
When you are in the room after you decapitate Medusa for the first time, Aphrodite will tell you to freeze the Minotaurs to continue. Do not do this. Instead, switch to Poseidon's Rage and keep using it on the Minotaurs. Since you have unlimited magic in this room, get as many combos as desired. The red orbs stop appearing at 1000 hits; however you can stop the combo at any time and repeat this trick to get a lot of orbs. Keep some saved for the weapons that you will unlock later in the game.
Unlock the Dairy Bastard costume. Then, fight the Hydra with the Dairy Bastard costume and continuously use Poseidon's Rage to get the combo count as high as possible. Because the Hydra cannot die unless you grab and kill it, there is not limit to the combos.Extra Magic Feathers
After receiving Poseidon's Trident and passing through the tunnel behind the statue, there are four Nyad daughters you can find while swimming underwater. Note: Some of them are hidden behind breakaway walls. Press Circle by any one of them to kiss them. Most of them will offer up a Magic Feather, while some may randomly leave you with nothing.Easy red orbs
When you get on the ship at the end of the first level after defeating the Boss Hydra, jump on the bed and press R2. Follow the commands as prompted on the screen. When the vase falls off the night stand you will get some orbs. Each time you do it afterwards, you will only get five orbs.
When you go to find the two shields for the sculpture, go back into the room with the broken off stairs. Go up, get across the narrow boards, and pull the lever. The rope will go down and you can slide down it. Go across the rope where soldiers try to kill you. Get to the other side, then get out the Blade Of Artemis (L1 + R1). Then, get the Hades shield and run up to the ledge where you can jump off to the rope going up. A lot of soldiers will appear. Use the Blade Of Artemis to kill them all. This will give you a lot of red orbs, and more time spared.
When you are fighting the first Ares, do not kill him. Just stab him once with his leg and let him hit you off. You should get 1,000 orbs. Keep doing this for a lot of orbs that you can use for any weapon or magic that you have not maxed out. You will need it against all the clones in the next battle.Easy orbs in Temple Of The Oracle
Unlock the Dairy Bastard costume. Then, enter the Temple Of The Oracle. Keep using Gorgon Flash. Because there is an unlimited amount Harpies, you can get an unlimited amount of red orbs. Note: Each kill is worth 30 red orbs.Easy orbs in The Gates Of Athens
Use the following trick to max out your Blades Of Chaos, Poseidon's Rage and Medusa's Gaze. After you reach Athens and you encounter the Oracle's image. climb up the stairs. You will see Ares for the first time. Save the game here. This will take a lot of time to do. Walk to your left down the stairs and enter the gate. Ares' fireball will break the gate, locking you inside. In order to get out you must lure a Minotaur to the switch and freeze him so you can slide out. However, do not do that and do not leave this room. Kill as many Minotaurs as possible until no more of them give you orbs. Notice that no matter how many Minotaurs you kill, they will keep respawning. You can use as much magic as desired. As long as you are in that room, the magic box will keep refilling. Every time a Minotaur comes out, freeze him with Medusa's Gaze and break him. Every time you do this, you will receive fifteen orbs. If you run out of magic, refill with the box. If you run low on life, fight the Minotaur then do the mini-game to get some health back. Keep freezing then breaking them to get unlimited orbs.Skull lock in Pandora's Temple
Once you first reach the rings of Pandora's Temple, run around the ring. There is a skull-shaped lock, with a skull-shaped hollow. To open the door you must go to the sarcophagus of the architect's son. Pull off the lid and jump on the body. Rapidly press R2 and eventually the head will come off.Harpy puzzle
When you are in the room filled with Harpies that keep coming out, kill them and notice that they are coming out of odd-looking holes. To stop them, use the shields of the statues in the room to block the entrance. The left statue is placed in the right hole, and the right statue goes in the left hole. Once all holes are blocked, kill the remaining Harpies. Go up the stairs to the ledge with the boards that fall off when you are going across. Do not worry if you fall, as the Harpies cannot get out. As the boards continue to fall, they will reveal the correct boards to walk on.Blade Of Artemis disappears
While you have the blade out, go across a rope. When you jab you will use your old blades. When you get off, your old blades are shown in use; just press L1 + R1.Guards still fighting Hydra
After you defeat the Hydra and take the rope back to the other boat with the trapped women, go to the location where you originally entered that boat. Walk the boards back and you can see the two guards fighting a Hydra head, after you killed the main head.God Mode
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Deleted Levels
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Birth of the Beast
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Challenge of the Gods
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Character Graveyard
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Heroic Possibilities
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Monsters of Myth
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Visions of Ancient Greece
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.In-Game Movies
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.Credits
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting.
Successfully complete God mode.A Secret Revealed
Successfully complete God mode.Secret Message 1
Successfully complete God mode in the North American (NTSC) version of the game to reveal a U.S. telephone number you can call for a message (1-800-613-8840).Secret Message 2
Keep hitting the two statues at your throne at the end of the game in the North American (NTSC) version of the game. Eventually they will break, giving you a puzzle of a group of numbers. These numbers are for a U.S. telephone number you can call for a funny message (1-888-447-5594). In the PAL version of the game this will be replaced with a bonus intermission sequence featuring the events after the Ares and Minotaur statues are destroyed.Additional Costumes
Successfully complete the God Of War Challenges to unlock the Chef of War, Bubbles, Tycoonius, Dairy Bastard, and Ares Armor costumes. Note: The alternate costumes also have different effects on Kratos, as listed below:
Chef of War
- Damage: 100%
- Defense: 100%
- Magic: 300%
- Health: 150%
- Experience: 100%
- Damage: 50%
- Defense: 100%
- Magic: 150%
- Health: 300%
- Experience: 100%
- Damage: 200%
- Defense: 400%
- Magic: 100%
- Health: 100%
- Experience: 400%
- Damage: 50%
- Defense: 100%
- Magic: 200%
- Health: 200%
- Experience: 200%
- Infinite magic
- Damage: 200%
- Defense: 25%
- Magic: 100%
- Health: 200%
- Experience: 200%
Successfully complete one of the following tasks to get a trophy:
- 1.21 Gigawatts (Bronze): Acquire Poseidon's Rage.
- Rocking Out (Bronze): Acquire Medusa's Gaze.
- Bolt Action (Bronze): Acquire Zeus' Fury.
- Sword Man (Bronze): Acquire Blade of Artemis.
- Soul Search (Bronze): Acquire Army of Hades.
- Matador (Bronze): Win the first Minotaur fight.
- Scape Goat (Bronze): Win the first Satyr fight.
- Roll Over ... and Die (Bronze): Win the first Cerberus fight.
- Don't They Ever Shut Up! (Bronze): Defeat the Desert Sirens.
- Beat a Dead Horse (Bronze): Complete the Centaur sacrifice to Hades.
- Kickboxer (Bronze): Complete the Spike Room Box Puzzle.
- Rockin' the Boat (Bronze): Complete the Sex Mini-Game.
- Don't Leave Her Hanging (Bronze): Rescue the Oracle with 10 seconds to spare.
- Get the Ball Rolling (Bronze): Complete the Challenge of Atlas.
- Totally Baked (Bronze): Complete the Human sacrifice.
- Splash (Bronze): Kiss the Nyad.
- Get Me a Beer Kid (Bronze): Free yourself from the depths of Hades.
- Zero Health = Bronze Trophy (Bronze): Open a Health Chest when your health meter is already full.
- Hitman (Bronze): Get a 100 Hits Combo.
- Getting My Ass Kicked (Bronze): Die enough times to get offered Easy Mode.
- Kratos' Marble Collection (Silver): Collect all the Gorgon Eyes.
- Stick it in Your Cap! (Silver): Collect all the Phoenix Feathers.
- It's the HUGE One (Silver): Retrieve the Captain's Key.
- Take the Bull by the Horns (Silver): Defeat Pandora's Guardian.
- God Killer (Silver): Kill Ares.
- Head Hunter (Silver): Obtain the head of the Architect's wife.
- The Power to Kill a God (Silver): Retrieve Pandora's Box.
- Hitman 2 (Silver): Get a 200 Hits Combo.
- Legend of the Twins (Silver): Watch the 'Birth of the Beast' Treasure.
- Seeing Red (Silver): Max out all Weapons and Magic.
- Prepare to be a God (Gold): Beat the Game on any Difficulty.
- You Got the Touch! (Gold): Climb the Spiked Column in Hades without taking damage.
- I'll Take the Physical Challenge (Gold): Complete the Challenge of the Gods.
- Speed of Jason McDonald (Gold): Beat the game in under 5 hours on any Difficulty.
- Key to Success (Gold): Collect all of the Muse Keys.
- Trophy of Zeus (Platinum): Unlock all God of War Trophies.
God Of War 2
Challenge Of The Titans mode
Successfully complete the game to unlock the Challenge Of The Titans mode.Arena Of The Fates mode
Get a "Titan" rank in Challenge mode to unlock the Arena Of The Fates mode.Titan mode
Successfully complete the game to unlock the Titan difficulty setting.Alternate costumes
- Cod Of War: Successfully complete the game.
- Hydra Armor: Successfully complete the game.
- Dark Odyssey: Successfully complete the game on the God difficulty setting.
- Athena: Successfully complete the game on the Titan difficulty setting.
- Hercules: Successfully complete the game on the Titan difficulty setting.
- General Kratos: Collect 20 Cyclops Eyes.
- God Armor: Get a "God" rank in Challenge Of The Titans mode.
Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting and save when prompted. Start a new game on the same or lower difficulty setting to have all weapons including the Blade Of Olympus and magic at the level attained during your previous session. Additionally, the "High Resolution" and "Story Format" movie options and "Credits" option will be unlocked at the "Treasures" menu.Combo bonus
If you get a one million hit combo, a secret website will be revealed. The website is www.islandofrhodes.org. It is possible to perform a one million hit combo immediately after you defeat Euryale and have unlimited magic. Instead of using the Head Of Euryale to kill five enemies by turning them to stone and shattering them, use Cronos' Rage to get a one million hit combo.Urns
Urn Of Gaia: This Urn is found in Rhodes (the first level). Take the stone block that you push with the golden bird on top, which you need to first break to get some Red Orbs, and push it between Kratos and the gate. While Kratos is on the button to open the gate, kick the block to the other side and then quickly roll under the gate. Then, push the block to the right and you will see three chests on a ledge in the background. Push the block to that area and double jump, then lift yourself up. This Urn allows you to gain ten times the number of Orbs than normal.
Urn Of the Gorgons: After you get the Golden Fleece, backtrack to the conveyor belt with the Gorgon eye things that turn you to stone, then reflect the beam back at them. There will be three chests, one of which holds the Urn. This Urn enables your weapons to turn enemies to stone.
Urn Of Olympus: Near the area where you get the Spear of Destiny, take the time slowing statue and push it near the waters edge from where you first came. Try to make it so you can start the time slowing from the other side of the pool. Then, press R1 across the other pool and roll into the room where the Urn is located. This Urn gives you unlimited magic.
Urn Of Prometheus: This Urn is found in Atlas. When hanging from his underarm, you have to break two stalactites to continue, but there is also another one you can break. Break it and then follow the hole up to find a red chest and the Urn. This Urn gives you unlimited Rage Of The Titans.
Urn Of Fates: Successfully complete Challenge Of The Titans mode with a "Mortal" or better rank. This Urn extends your allotted combo meter time so you can perform higher combos.
Urn Of Poseidon: Successfully complete Challenge Of The Titans mode with a "Spartan" or better rank. This Urn allows you to exchange Crono's Rage with Poseidon's Rage.
Gift of Health: When you get to the area where the second translator jumps off the ledge to avoid reading the book, place the fate statue by the gate at the end of the hall. Go through the mirror that rewinds time, freeze time, then roll back to where the statue was originally. Open the chest that is now there to get the Gift of Health.
Gift of Magic: When you are almost to the area where you have to burn the Phoenix feathers (the part where you are climbing on the rope over the lava and enemies shoot the rope down and you must climb on the wall and then ceiling to get to the next place), as soon as you turn the corner, where you have to jump over the lava and fly, take out the bow instead and shoot the wall below a few times and it will open, revealing the Gift of Magic.
Part way through Rhodes (the first level), you will drop down into a bath house/sauna type area. Instead of continuing and diving down, jump out of the water onto the area around it. There should be two screens which are breakable. Behind one of the screens are two topless women. If you walk up to them and press Circle, a sexual mini-game will begin where you must complete a series of button presses. Once you complete the mini-game, you will get Red and Green Orbs. You only get the Orbs once; however, you can play the mini-game as many times as desired.Hidden cover art
Slip the cover sheet out of the game's case and look at the back to find alternate cover art.Easy Orbs
Immediately after you defeat Euryale, you will get unlimited magic to use with your new skill. To complete this part of the game, you must kill five enemies by turning them to stone and shattering them. However, if you face the rear wall and position yourself directly in front of the center spawn, you can cast Cronos' Rage, roll right, cast it again, roll back to the left two times, cast it again, and repeat. You can build up massive combos by doing this to get lots of Orbs. Once you get a 2,000 hit combo, break the combo off (do not cast for about four seconds) and start again. You will get over 1,500 Orbs for each 2,000 hit combo.
To get a lot more Red Orbs easily, upgrade the Blade Of Olympus to level 2. Then, hold L1 + Circle to use the shield the blade emits and suck in Red Orbs from live enemies. Once they have been drained, kill them to get more.Easy Cyclops Eyes
Each time Challenge 1 in Challenge Of The Titans mode is successfully completed, you will get one Cyclops Eye. You can repeat this as many times as needed.
Unlock the Arena Of The Fates, then make three Cyclops and have them respawn and not attack to get twenty Cyclops Eyes quickly.
When the Bowmen (little penguin-like creatures with axes) call the Cyclops with their horn, just kill the Cyclops and not the Bowmen. After you rip the Cyclops' Eye out, the Bowmen will call another Cyclops. You can keep doing this until you get all twenty Cyclops Eyes.Using the Golden Fleece
Once you get the Golden Fleece from the Cursed Cerberus, you can use it to block and reflect enemy attacks by pressing L1 at the precise moment. However, if you continually press L1 as fast as possible, you will usually block and return most attacks.Protecting the Translator
This trick is especially useful on the God or Titan difficulty setting. During the part where you must protect the Translator from the three waves of enemies, there is a way you can do it a little easier. For the first two wave of enemies (the waves before the part when Kratos drops the Translator and kneels beside the book), you can hide behind the cage and hit the enemies, taking minor or no damage. Once you grab him and walk out the cage for the first time, there will be an intermission sequence that releases the first set of enemies. Go back in the cage and pull the boulder off the switch. Then, use the Hammer's L1 attack in the air or L1 + Triangle to hit enemies with the Hammer's attack wave. Once the first set of enemies is over, walk towards the middle to activate the second set. Take your time. Once you see the enemies appear, run back behind the cage and pull the stone off again. Repeat the same process and you should be able to avoid getting hit.Defeating Theasus
Use the following trick during the second part of the battle with Theasus. When he is on the roof and summons creatures to attack you, lead them around until he summons up ice pillars. Then, roll to avoid them but make sure the beasts get caught underneath when the ice pillars are summoned. By doing this, they will get hurt and eventually killed.Trophies
Successfully complete one of the following tasks to get a trophy:
- Breaking Wind (Bronze): Acquire Typhon's Bane.
- Big, Tuff, Buff and Rough (Bronze): Acquire Rage of the Titans.
- Blue Balls (Bronze): Acquire Cronos' Rage.
- Shiner (Bronze): Acquire the Golden Fleece.
- Rock their World (Bronze): Acquire the Head of Euryale.
- Learning to Fly (Bronze): Acquire the Icarus Wings.
- Shaky Ground (Bronze): Acquire Atlas Quake.
- Death from Above 2009 (Bronze): Defeat the Dark Rider for the first time.
- Resurrection (Bronze): Climb from the pit of Hades.
- Rock Hard (Bronze): Defeat the Titan Minotaur inside Atlas.
- Pick'n on the Little Guy (Bronze): Win the battle outside of the Palace of the Fates.
- Watcha Got on the Hot Plate? (Bronze): Solve the riddle of the Fire Phoenix Statue.
- Whip it Good (Bronze): Whip the Steeds of Time.
- Lift with Your Knees (Bronze): Topple the Temple in the Bog of the Forgotten.
- Swinger (Bronze): Cross the collapsing Grapple Bridge.
- Stoner (Bronze): Stone and Shatter 30 Enemies.
- Super Sized (Bronze): Get a 500 Hits Combo.
- Hitting Your Stride (Bronze): Power up any item.
- Eye Can't Believe it (Silver): Collect all the Gorgon Eyes.
- Go Make a Pillow! (Silver): Collect all the Phoenix Feathers.
- Eye Sore (Silver): Collect 20 Cyclops Eyes.
- Boss Batch 1 (Silver): Kill the Colossus of Rhodes, the Dark Rider, and Theseus.
- Boss Batch 2 (Silver): Kill the Barbarian King, Euryale, and Perseus.
- Boss Batch 3 (Silver): Kill the Kraken and all three Sisters of Fate.
- Daddy Issues (Silver): Defeat Zeus.
- Rise and SHINE (Silver): Awaken the Phoenix.
- Spread 'Em (Silver): Open the wings of the Temple of the Fates.
- Shine King (Silver): Open the door to the Temple of Euryale.
- Blowin' Your Wad (Silver): Max out all Weapons and Magic.
- The End Begins (Gold): Beat the Game on any Difficulty.
- Feel the Urn (Gold): Collect and use at least 2 Urns of Power.
- Bleeding Thumbs (Gold): Beat the Challenge of the Titans.
- 15 Min Fight Scene (Gold): Battle your way to the Loom Chamber in under 10 minutes.
- You Know the Germans Make Good Stuff... (Gold): Collect all Uber Chests.
- Trophy of Gaia (Platinum): Unlock all God of War II Trophies.