Today, a more recent Pokémon game is going up against a remake of one of the original Pokemon games. We’re comparing different features, mechanics, graphics, and available Pokémon. Pokémon Scarlet & Violet clash against Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee to see which one comes out on top.
Both games are some of the most unique entries in the franchise. Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee includes a lot of features from Pokémon GO, while Scarlet & Violet finally allows players to explore an open world. This article will be a complete breakdown of both games so that you know which one is the best place to start your Pokémon journey.
Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee is a remake of Pokémon Yellow, one of the Generation I Pokémon games. Players are back in the Kanto region, battling and catching the original 151 Pokémon again. Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee brings the first generation into the modern age and reimagines the Pokémon formula. The game debuted on 16 November 2018 on the Nintendo Switch and sold 15.07 million copies worldwide.
Scarlet & Violet also reimagine the Pokémon formula with its open world. This change in the Pokémon franchise resulted in phenomenal sales. So far, Scarlet & Violet has sold over 22 million copies worldwide and is projected to sell even more with the release of its DLC expansion.
|Category||Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee||Scarlet/Violet|
|Total Units Sold||15.07 million||22 million|
|Console||Nintendo Switch||Nintendo Switch|
The regions in each Pokémon game are one of the most important features. The regions set the tone for each game and establish its main theme. Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee takes place in the Kanto region, which is the very first region in Pokémon. This location is based on the famous real-world Kanto region in Japan.
Scarlet & Violet is set in the sprawling Paldea region. This diverse region of fridge mountains and bustling cities is based on the Iberian Peninsula, consisting of countries like Spain, Portugal, and Andorra. In Paldea, players can explore the prehistoric past and the far-distant future.
The low-resolution graphics of pokémon Yellow have been revamped into high-quality 3D models in Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee. In the remake, the Pokémon gameplay and story are both simplified and improved. Here is a list of just some of the new features that can be found in Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee:
- New and improved 3D graphics that make the game look beautiful.
- The starter Pokémon Pikachu and Eevee travel with the player which makes the connection to your pokémon feel much stronger
- There are motion controls that mimic the gameplay of Pokémon Go
- Pokémon Go can be integrated into the game is a nice touch
- Mega Evolutions and Alolan Forms of the original pokémon are included
- New details and special features have been added to Kanto
- Co-op multiplayer is a great addition
- Wild pokémon are visible in the overworld, making the world feel much more immersive
Scarlet & Violet embraces the freedom that Pokemon fans have been asking for. There are brand new ways to battle and traverse the Paldea region. Scarlet & Violet has set the standard for how Pokémon games will be in the future.
- Scarlet/Violet has a new battle gimmick called the Terastal phenomenon. Pokémon are able to change their typing in the middle of a battle to increase the power of certain moves.
- New Pokémon from both the past and future have been brought to the current day called Paradox Pokémon. These Pokémon have new typings than their current-day counterparts.
- Players will use their Legendary Pokémon, Koraidon or Miraidon, to traverse the expansive Paldea region.
- Up to four players are able to simultaneously engage in multiplayer. Players can trade, battle, and travel through the game together.
All of the original eight Gym Leaders and Elite Four members make their return in Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee. Veteran players will enjoy the nostalgia of battling their old rivals again, while new players get to experience what made Generation I so special in the first place.
The iconic gym system is also in Scarlet & Violet but with a twist. Players still have to battle the eight gym leaders and collect the badges, but they can challenge the leaders in any order. At any time, players can face off against any gym leader. For trainers looking for a real challenge, they can battle the gym leaders in the reverse of the intended order.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Pokemon.com.