The Sims Castaway Stories is the most recent title in the Stories series of Sims games, linear spinoffs that focus on one particular setting or gameplay element. Released in early 2008, The Sims Castaway Stories came out exclusively for PC, leaving console players out after getting years of tailored experiences with The Sims 2 and its many expansions.
The Sims Castaway Stories Premise
You might think you know what to expect when playing any game in The Sims series. The Sims Castaway Stories turns the usual formula on its head, offering a more linear experience. You’ll build your own home while tending to your sim’s needs. This time you do these things across a story mode called Shipwrecked and Single rather than a free build experience.
The game itself is built on The Sims 2‘s engine, but shouldn’t be mistaken for The Sims 2: Castaway expansion pack. The Sims Castaway Stories is much more story-focused, with everything taking place on one island. The Sims 2: Castaway brings the island life to The Sims 2 base game. If you want a life simulator with pieces of the Castaway experience sprinkled in, then The Sims 2: Castaway is your best bet. Alternatively, if you want to immerse yourself fully in the ins and outs of island living, then The Sims Castaway Stories will float your boat.
The Sims Castaway Stories Main Characters
The Sims usually stick to a familiar cast of characters, with certain families appearing in every title. Characters like Bella Goth, Don Lothario, and Nancy Landgraab have gripped players over the years, but The Sims Castaway Stories tosses them aside for something fresh. The game’s story follows a group of Sims who survive the sinking of the ship Queen Solomon. During your adventure, you encounter wild characters as you attempt to create a new life on Felicity Island.
Shipwrecked and Single Characters
- David Bennett: David Bennett is the male protagonist of the Shipwrecked and Single story. While the game doesn’t delve too deep into David’s backstory, it’s implied he previously lived a life of loneliness before boarding the Queen Solomon. Now trapped on Felicity Island, David must start all over again. According to his in-game stats, David leads an active lifestyle, despite being extremely shy and sloppy.
- Jessica Knight: If you choose to play as a female in Shipwrecked and Single, Jessica Knight is your protagonist. Like David, Jessica’s past is shrouded in mystery, although it’s hinted that she only boarded the Queen Solomon to do a story for Going Places magazine. If you choose not to play as Jessica initially, she will later appear in the neighborhood’s family bin after you complete the story.
- Waiata: Waiata is the orangutan that you adopt as a pet early in The Sims Castaway Stories. His trust doesn’t come easily, but once you gain it, he can be a useful friend to have.
- Emma Langsford: You’ll encounter Emma early in the story, as another survivor of the Queen Solomon. Her only aspiration is to find romance, which she eventually achieves with Robby Smith. At the end of the game, Emma decides against leaving Felicity Island, instead committing to a new life with Robby.
- Professor Winford Rhinehart: The Professor presents himself early on as a helpful character with a wealth of knowledge regarding the island’s history and culture. You begin to learn more about his true character as the game goes on. All is not as it seems with Professor Winford Rhinehart.
The Sims Castaway Stories Titles in the Series
Although the last mainline game in the franchise was released in 2014 with The Sims 4, the game continues to receive frequent expansion packs, ensuring the series remains in line with current trends. It comes at a cost, though. These expansion packs usually amount to hundreds of dollars worth of content, and if you want your game to be complete, you’ll have to pick them all up.
- The Sims (2000)
- The Sims Online (2002)
- The Sims Bustin’ Out (2003)
- The Sims 2 (2004)
- The Urbz: Sims in the City (2004)
- The Sims Life Stories (2007)
- The Sims Pet Stories (2007)
- The Sims Castaway Stories (2008)
- The Sims 3 (2009)
- The Sims Medieval (2011)
- The Sims Social (2011)
- The Sims FreePlay (2011)
- The Sims 4 (2014)
- The Sims Mobile (2018)
The Sims Castaway Stories Cheat Codes
Typically, The Sims games are known for having plenty of cheat codes for you to use. It’s usually a PC-centric franchise, so Maxis often includes numerous cheat codes that give you a more unique gameplay experience. In a sense, The Sims Castaway Stories is no different. The game does offer cheats, but they’re not quite as numerous as they have been in iterations past. These also only work in Shipwrecked and Single after you’ve completed it without cheats, but always work in Wanmami Island mode. You can enter these codes by pressing Ctrl + Shift + C and opening up the in-game console. Here’s the full list:
- kaching: Gives you 1,000 simoleons
- motherlode: Gives you 50,000 simoleons
- boolProp dormSpecificToolsDisabled [true or false]: Toggle Buy Mode tools that are normally disabled in a community lot
- aging [on or off]: Toggle aging for all Sims
- autoPatch [on or off]: Toggle checking for patches through the content browser
- bugJarTimeDecay [on or off]: Toggle if bugs in a jar can live forever
- boolProp controlPets [0 or 1]: Makes pets controllable
- boolProp petActionCancel [0 or 1]: Make pet actions cancellable
- boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation [0 or 1]: Allows you to press [Comma] or [Period] to rotate objects in 45-degree increments
- gameVersion: Display game version
- clear: Clear console
- exit or hide: Close the console
- expand: Expand the console window
- vsync [on or off]: Toggle V-Sync
The Sims Castaway Stories Cheat Code FAQs
Can I Mod The Sims Castaway Stories Instead?
Of course! If the base selection of cheats for The Sims Castaway Stories isn’t doing it for you, consider modding the game. Every Sims game allows mods for the community to add to the game directly themselves and this one is no different.
There is one thing to be aware of. The Sims Castaway Stories is still a spinoff and not a particularly popular one at that. This means that the modding community for the game is quite small, so the selection might not be as big as you hope.
Do Other Sims Cheats Work in The Sims Castaway Stories?
If you’ve played other Sims games, you might be familiar with other cheat codes that are featured in several games, such as rosebud. Unfortunately, Maxis did away with that in The Sims Castaway Stories, and only the cheats we mentioned earlier will work in this game. Even if you find a code that works in every other Sims game but it isn’t on this list, it likely won’t work.
Do I Have To Activate Cheats Mode?
Nope! In The Sims games, you would usually have to use a boolprop command to allow cheats to be used. Luckily, The Sims Castaway Stories is the exception to the rule, so you can use cheats without activating them first.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Screenshot from The Sims Castaway Stories.