Grand Theft Auto V is a behemoth of a game. To this day, it remains the most successful media product of all time, and continues to sell well over a decade after its release. Grand Theft Auto Online was launched alongside GTA V, giving players the chance to jump into the chaos of Los Santos alongside their friends. It was a smash success, and continues to receive content updates.
If you’ve not been around for the ride, it’s certainly a daunting timeline. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you, putting together the full timeline of Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online, from 2011 all the way to the present day!
- Three years after the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto V is finally announced in October 2011, with a full trailer coming out one week later. No release date is officially confirmed at first.
- In October 2022, a tentative Spring 2023 release date is given for Grand Theft Auto V.
- Then, a second trailer for Grand Theft Auto V is unveiled in November 2012.
- January 2013 sees Grand Theft Auto V delayed to September of that year.
- In August 2013, it’s confirmed that Grand Theft Auto Online will be a standalone experience from the main game.
- Grand Theft Auto V finally launches on September 17, 2013, becoming one of the biggest entertainment products of all time.
- On October 1, 2013, Grand Theft Auto Online launches without heists.
- In the middle of November, Grand Theft Auto Online gets its first content pack – The Beach Bum Update. This brings new vehicles, weapons, clothing, and jobs into the online action.
- On December 11, 2013, Rockstar releases the Creator tools for Grand Theft Auto Online. Players finally have the freedom to build their own modes and missions in-game, changing GTA Online forever.
- A week later, Rockstar releases the Capture game mode.
- On Christmas Eve 2013, the Holiday Gifts DLC is released for GTA Online. Los Santos is soon covered in snow, and new festive clothing is added to the game.
- The Valentine’s Day Massacre Special DLC is released in February 2014. A bunch of new retro cosmetics find their way into GTA Online, including a classic Tommy gun and an Albany Roosevelt car.
- In March 2014, Rockstar releases the Business Update for Grand Theft Auto Online. This small update brings some new formal clothes, vehicles, and weapons.
- May 2014 sees the release of the High Life update. A ton of new high-paying missions are added to Grand Theft Auto Online, as well as new high-end apartments for you to purchase and show off your in-game wealth.
- In June, Rockstar announces Grand Theft Auto V for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One at E3 2014.
- Rockstar releases the I’m Not A Hipster update for GTA Online in mid-June 2014, adding a huge amount of new missions, seven new cars, and two new weapons.
- July 1, 2014 sees the release of the Independence Day Special DLC. It adds a musket, a Monster Truck, and other American-themed items.
- In August 2014, the San Andreas Flight School Update is released for Grand Theft Auto Online. With three new aircraft to fly, players gain access to new Air Force clothing and jobs.
- Rockstar releases the Last Team Standing Update for GTA Online in October 2014. It adds the Last Team Standing mode, and a few new guns and vehicles.
- On November 18, 2014, Grand Theft Auto V is released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
- GTA Online gets its second Christmas event in December, with Festive Surprise. Like the previous year, Festive Surprise covers Los Santos in snow, and adds more Christmas cosmetics.
- At long last, Heists are released for Grand Theft Auto Online in March 2015. Players can finally plan out detailed heists, carrying them out alongside their crew. This update sets the blueprint for many more in years to come.
- On April 14, 2015, Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online are finally released for PC.
- Ill-Gotten Gains Part 1 and 2 are released for GTA Online in June and July 2015 respectively. It offers you many ways to earn gold, changing the in-game economy forever. Many new end-game items are made available to purchase, costing an arm and a leg.
- Rockstar releases the Freemode Events update for GTA Online in September 2015. Job lobbies disappear entirely, making free-roam jobs a much more seamless experience.
- October 2015 sees the release of the Lowriders DLC for Grand Theft Auto Online. This adds Benny’s Original Motorworks, a new place for you to buy and customize vehicles.
- Just a few days later, Rockstar releases the Halloween Surprise update, bringing the Slasher adversary mode, as well as the standard cars, weapons, and spooky clothing.
- Executives and Other Criminals is released in December 2015. Yachts are introduced for purchase within GTA Online, but the big update here is the ability to hire or become a bodyguard for other players.
- It’s quickly followed by the Festive Surprise 2015 DLC. It’s practically the same as the previous years once more, with snow and Christmas cosmetics.
- 2016 begins with the January release of the Drop Zone adversary mode in GTA Online. This update also adds the ability to customize the Sultan and Banshee at Benny’s Original Motorworks.
- Rockstar releases the Be My Valentine DLC in February 2016. This brings a new adversary mode called Till Death Do Us Part, and brings back a bunch of the items from the 2014 DLC Valentine’s Day Massacre Special.
- March 2016 begins with the release of the Lowriders: Custom Classics DLC for GTA Online. This time, the Slamvan, Virgo, and Faction are all made available for customization at Benny’s Original Motorworks.
- GTA Online: Further Adventures in Finance and Felony is released in June 2016. It brings a ton of new missions into the game, as well as the ability to buy offices and warehouses to store your illegal cargo. It’s a huge update that presents new ways to make your fortune in Los Santos, besides grinding Heists.
- Cunning Stunts is the next major DLC, arriving in July 2016. This added even more aerial vehicles, with a bunch of new stunt races to compete in. In the two weeks after its release, eleven more stunt races are added to Cunning Stunts.
- Rockstar adds stunt races to the Creator tools in August 2016.
- GTA Online: Bikers is added to the game in October 2016, bringing an update devoted to biker culture. The DLC adds thirteen new bikes, plenty of clothing, and clubhouses to purchase. Best of all, you can go on to form your own motorcycle gang in-game.
- Rockstar releases the Import/Export DLC, which provides you with a ton of new ways to make money. Stealing cars is the focus, with huge garages that allow you to store your stolen vehicles.
- In December, Festive Surprise returns for another year in GTA Online.
- Cunning Stunts: Special Vehicle Circuit is released for Grand Theft Auto Online in March 2017, adding 20 new tracks and new vehicles to race with.
- Rockstar releases the Gunrunning DLC in June 2017, which introduces a ton of new weapon trading missions to complete. Here you can become a true crime boss.
- The Smuggler’s Run DLC arrives to GTA Online in August 2017, bringing a focus on aerial and smuggling missions.
- Transform Races release for GTA Online in October 2017, which change your vehicle everytime you hit a checkpoint. It’s a novelty mode, but a ton of fun.
- Rockstar release the Doomsday Heist in December, bringing the first new Heist in two years. In it, you plan the Heist across three acts, taking charge of a flying HQ.
- Once again, Festive Surprise 2017 gives Los Santos its yearly Christmas makeover.
- March 2018 sees the release of the Southern San Andreas Super Sport Series DLC for GTA Online. The Hotring Circuit game mode came with ten tracks, as well as thirteen new vehicles.
- GTA Online: After Hours is released by Rockstar in 2018. Aimed at expanding the game’s nightlife, the game brings back Lazlow and Gay Tony from previous titles, with the Nightclub business becoming available for the first time.
- In December 2018, Arena War is released for Grand Theft Auto Online. The Maze Bank Arena is added, alongside seven new game modes to compete in.
- After years under construction in-game, Rockstar finally releases the Diamond Casino & Resort update in July 2019. You can buy entire penthouses, complete missions, and bankrupt yourself in the casino. It’s one of the bigger updates to GTA Online.
- In December 2019, the Diamond Casino Heist is released for Grand Theft Auto Online, as well as 12 vehicles.
- February 2020 sees Rockstar release Open Wheel Races for Grand Theft Auto Online. Seven new race tracks are added, as well as two new Formula 1-style cars.
- Gerald’s Last Play is released in April 2020, adding six new Contact Missions.
- Rockstar releases the Los Santos Summer Special for GTA Online in August 2020. A huge amount of vehicles are added, as well as six new missions. Players can also create Open Wheel Races in the Creator tools.
- Los Santos Tuners is released for Grand Theft Auto Online in July 2021. The update adds a bunch of new vehicle content, with ten new cars, a new car meet location, and a test track.
- Rockstar releases The Contract for Grand Theft Auto Online in December 2021. Franklin Clinton returns, alongside Dr. Dre in a story-focused expansion. It remains one of the biggest updates to the game to date.
- In December 2021, Rockstar finally cuts support for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Grand Theft Auto Online, after eight years of frequent updates.
- Rockstar releases Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S on March 15, 2022. Alongside the release is the Hao’s Special Works DLC, which expands the LS Car Meet’s underground area. Car customization is massively improved, and more Time Trials are added.
- In July 2022, The Criminal Enterprises DLC is released for Grand Theft Auto Online. Executives, MC Presidents, Nightclub Owners and Gunrunners are given much more to do, as well as more missions to complete. It remains one of the biggest updates in GTA Online‘s history.
- December 2022 sees Los Santos Drug Wars come to GTA Online. It features a massive story, and a new Acid Lab business. You can also now sell drugs and raid the warehouses of other gangs.
- The San Andreas Mercenaries update is released for Grand Theft Auto Online. New vehicles are added, as well as new missions centered around disrupting Merryweather. It adds the Los Santos Angels, a mercenary group that you can join.