Apex Legends is a free-to-play battle royale, hero shooter developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. It features cross-platform compatibility and various game modes in a multiplayer environment. It allows players to explore the science-fiction universe shared with Respawn’s Titanfall series in a new way. Since its initial release in February 2019, it has expanded across multiple platforms, including PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S. A mobile version also launched in May 2022 for Android and iOS, although it was later pulled.
Apex Legends Premise
At the core of Apex Legends are two different game modes: Battle Royale and Arenas. In Battle Royale, players join two- or three-person squads and select characters known as Legends. These Legends possess unique abilities, making team composition an essential part of the strategy. The objective is simple: be the last squad standing. Up to 20 squads are dropped onto an island to find weapons and supplies and eliminate other teams, all while the play area progressively shrinks to intensify the fight.
Arenas, on the other hand, pits two three-player squads against each other in a team-based deathmatch. Teams need to accumulate at least three points and hold a two-point lead to claim victory. The dynamic between the two game modes provides a refreshing change of pace, and the host of unique characters allows various playstyles.
Apex Legends Characters
The cast of Apex Legends is a vibrant ensemble of 24 characters, or Legends, each belonging to one of five classes: Assault, Skirmisher, Recon, Support, and Controller. These characters, some of whom originate from the Titanfall series, bring specific skills and abilities to the game, translating to distinct playstyles. The characters have backstories, personalities, and choices of weaponry, which makes picking a character a choice of playstyle, personal preference, and taste. New Legends are introduced alongside seasonal content.
Here are some of the more popular Legends:
- Wraith (Skirmisher): A favorite among many players due to her ability to create portals between two places and to phase out of reality, making her invulnerable for a short time.
- Lifeline (Support): Known for her healing drone which can restore squad members’ health over time. She also has the ability to call in a care package full of gear.
- Bloodhound (Recon): The Bloodhound can reveal hidden enemies and traps, and can track enemy movements. The ultimate ability enhances Bloodhound’s senses, allowing them to see cold tracks and move faster, making it also a deadly stalker.
- Pathfinder (Skirmisher): A robot with the ability to create zip lines for his squad, providing a mobility advantage. It can also use its Grappling Hook to move easier even to elevated positions.
- Gibraltar (Support): A tank-like character who can deploy a shield, protecting squad members from incoming fire. He also has an airstrike ability for offensive plays.
- Octane (Skirmisher): Known for his stim ability, which trades health for speed, and a launch pad ultimate that can catapult squad members, and himself, into the air. An early seasonal addition to the game.
- Bangalore (Assault): Her abilities focus on speed and smoke, with her smoke launcher blocking the enemy’s view, and her sprinting speed increasing when taking fire.
- Caustic (Controller): He can place gas traps that can damage and disorient enemies, as well as deploy a gas grenade as his ultimate.
- Mirage (Support): He can deploy holographic decoys to distract enemies and has a cloaking ability that’s useful for revives and respawns.
- Crypto (Recon): He can deploy an aerial drone that can scan enemies and interfere with their abilities. A great choice providing valuable information and a potential tactical advantage over the enemy.
Games in the Titanfall Series
As part of the Titanfall universe, Apex Legends extends the franchise’s science fiction narrative into the realm of battle royale gaming. The Titanfall series began with the initial Titanfall title in 2014. Since then, several games continue to be released on multiple platforms. Despite the shift in game mechanics, Apex Legends maintains elements of Titanfall’s identity and even features familiar characters. The Titafall series currently consists of:
- Titanfall (2014)
- Titanfall 2 (2016
- Titanfall: Assault (2017)
- Apex Legends (2019)
Apex Legends Cheats
As Apex Legends is an online multiplayer experience, the developer does not condone the use of cheats. They would make the playing field uneven, which would kill the fun. While Apex Legends does not include traditional cheat codes, it offers a variety of game mechanics that are important to know for getting an advantage over the enemy. Here are some of the tips and tricks that we have for new players. Some of them might be valuable insight even for more seasoned Apex Legends gamers.
Choose the Landing Spot Wisely
Selecting an ideal landing spot at the start of the game can often determine the early game outcome. High-tier loot zones have better gear but also attract more squads, making them riskier. On the other hand, low-tier loot zones might offer safety, but the gear you find may not be ready for late game. It’s important to strike a balance and choose a landing spot that suits your squad’s strategy.
Know the Guns
Understanding the game’s weaponry is crucial to your success. Each weapon in Apex Legends comes with unique recoil patterns, damage output, and range capabilities. Spend time in the training mode to get familiar with various weapons. Find out which guns suit your playstyle and prioritize these in the actual matches. Also, note that having two similar weapons might not be the best choice.
Work in Teams
Apex Legends is fundamentally a team-based game, so coordination and communication with your squadmates can make a world of difference. Stick with your team, share loot, and plan your moves together. Remember to revive and respawn your fallen teammates when it’s safe to do so. Also, the ping mechanic can offer valuable information to your teammates about loot, enemies, and more.
Movement is Important
In Apex Legends, staying on the move can be the difference between survival and defeat. Whether you’re dodging enemy fire, repositioning during a firefight, or traversing the map, mastering the game’s movement mechanics is essential. Use slides, ziplines, and character abilities to maintain mobility and stay unpredictable.
Managing your inventory effectively is critical in Apex Legends. It’s easy to fill up your backpack with unnecessary items. Make sure you’re carrying a balanced mix of ammunition, healing items, and grenades. Discard surplus items and prioritize high-tier gear and attachments that complement your chosen weapons.
Learn Your Legends
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, learn what the legends can do. Each Legend in Apex Legends has unique abilities that can dictate your play style and strategy. Understanding their strengths, weaknesses, and synergies is crucial for success on the battlefield. Try out different Legends to find one that fits your style. Also, keep an eye on what the opposing team composition is. Information about their strengths and weaknesses might make a difference in a close fight.
Is Apex Legends free to play?
Yes, Apex Legends is a free-to-play game. It offers optional in-game purchases for cosmetic items and a seasonal battle pass. However, the gameplay is an even playing field, and even all the Legends are unlockable without paying.
Can I play Apex Legends on mobile devices?
Currently, Apex Legends is unavailable for mobile devices. However, Apex Legends Mobile is making a comeback sometime soon on Android and iOS platforms.
Who is the latest Legend in the game?
The latest character (Legend) added to Apex Legends was Ballistic. This Assault-type Legend came alongside Season 17 and has the unique ability to hold three weapons.