Horizon: Call of the Mountain in the latest, 2023 addition to the Horizon series. This action-adventure game developed by the studio behind previous Horizon titles, Guerrilla Games, and the VR specialists at Firesprite offers a fresh perspective on the established universe. The game brings Horizon first time to the virtual reality realm and was a launch title for Sony’s new VR headset. The game is exclusively available for the PlayStation 5 and its virtual reality platform known as PlayStation VR2. Here we’ll dive into the game, its contents, and what cheats, tricks, and tips we can share about it.
Horizon: Call of the Mountain Premise
The game places players in the shoes of Ryas, a skilled climber, archer, and a former Shadow Carja rebel. Like its predecessors, it unfolds in a world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization. Players navigate a beautifully crafted landscape, where robotic creatures prowl seemingly everywhere. The gameplay is from the first-person perspective and blends exploration with intense combat. Ryas wields a hunter bow for taking down machines from a distance. The game has a single narrative but offers multiple routes for players to explore and tackle objectives.
As players advance, they unlock new tools and gear, improving their capabilities in exploration and combat. Beyond the core storyline, Horizon: Call of the Mountain also offers a feature called Machine Safari. In this mode, a guide takes players on a tour of the game’s stunning landscapes.
Horizon: Call of the Mountain Characters
In Horizon: Call of the Mountain, characters play a pivotal role in the greater narrative. As an adventure game, the personalities are at the core of both the gameplay and the unraveling story. In a post-apocalyptic world where people are few and far between, each of them becomes more important. The player controls a new protagonist, who has previously been a minor character in the series. Players come across both familiar and new characters in their adventures in this wild world. These include the protagonist from the previous games, Aloy.
- Ryas: The protagonist of the game, Ryas is a former Shadow Carja rebel, known for his expertise in climbing and archery. When he was released from prison at Sunstone Rock by Blameless Marad, he was tasked with investigating aggression by machines. He’s previously briefly featured in 2022’s Horizon Forbidden West.
- Blameless Marad: One of the key figures in the game and an official in the court of the Carja Sun-King Avad. Marad assigns Ryas the mission of investigating the aggressive machines and as he is released from prison. He is the guide throughout the game and provides information from Ryas’s past.
- Aloy: A familiar face from the Horizon series, Aloy appears in the game to guide Ryas toward his mission. However, she departs for her own mission. Aloy is the protagonist in both previous titles, Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West.
- Urid: Urid is the older brother of Ryas, a former bodyguard of Sun-King Jiran, and the best climber in the lands. His disappearance is at the core of the game’s narrative. His investigations into the machines set Ryas on his mission.
- Radel: Radel is a stranded Oseram engineer, who is encountered by Ryas on the Sunspear. He provides crucial information to Ryas about the mountain’s elevator and the necessary parts for its repair.
- Asera: A rogue Oseram engineer who is the prime antagonist in the game. Asera is plotting to use machines against the Carja. Ryas discovers her plan to unleash an army of machines on Meridian and confronts her.
Games in the Series
The Horizon series is known for its post-apocalyptic setting, where beautiful nature intertwines with deadly machines running wild. The games blend exploration, combat, and narrative that places family, nature, and history of the land and its people at the forefront. The series was launched with Horizon Zero Dawn in 2017 and has since spawned two more titles plus expansions. The game series is exclusive to the PlayStation consoles and PC.
- Horizon Zero Dawn (2017)
- Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds (2017)
- Horizon Forbidden West (2022)
- Horizon: Call of the Mountain (2023)
- Horizon: Forbidden West: Burning Shores (2023)
Horizon: Call of the Mountain Cheats
Horizon: Call of the Mountain does not feature cheats like classic video games. As a VR game, it relies on players’ controls more than other games. There are still ways for us to make it easier for you to achieve everything you desire in the game. That is why we’ve included the entire trophy selection, including secret trophies, so you can hunt for all the trophies more easily.
|Answered the Call||Earned all Trophies in Horizon Call of the Mountain||Platinum|
|Defeated a Grazer||Defeated a Grazer in Brightdawn||Bronze|
|Crafted Pickaxes||Crafted your Pickaxes||Bronze|
|Fully Equipped||Crafted and Collected all of the Tools||Silver|
|Mastered the Elements||Crafted Elemental Ammo||Bronze|
|Fully Armed||Collected all of the Weapon and Ammo types||Silver|
|Warning Beacon||Shot a Warning Beacon||Bronze|
|Alerted||Shot all of the Warning Beacons in a Mission||Bronze|
|Full Alert||Shot all Warning Beacons in Horizon Call of the Mountain||Silver|
|Master Climber||Completed a Legendary Climb||Bronze|
|Legendary Climber||Completed all Legendary Climbs||Silver|
|Collector||Found a Lore Collectible in Horizon Call of the Mountain||Bronze|
|Scholar||Found all Lore Collectibles in Horizon Call of the Mountain||Silver|
|Cairn Builder||Constructed a Cairn||Bronze|
|Master Cairn Builder||Constructed all of the Cairns in Horizon Call of the Mountain||Silver|
|In your Element||Triggered an Elemental Explosion by Destroying a Machine’s Canister||Bronze|
|Lights Out||Shoot a Watcher in the eye before it spots you||Bronze|
|Heavy Hitter||Used the Ballista or Blaze Barrels to Damage a Machine||Bronze|
|Carja in Shadow||Got through a Watcher Stealth Area Undetected||Bronze|
|Disc Shot!||Shot a Thunderjaw Disc out of the Air||Bronze|
|Clean Run||Completed a Mission without Dying||Bronze|
|Top of the Class||Achieved the highest score at the Dawn’s Grasp Assault Course||Silver|
|On Target||Achieved the highest score at the Dawn’s Grasp Archery Range||Silver|
|Machine Safari||Embarked on a Machine Safari||Bronze|
|Secret Trophy||Description||Trophy Type|
|Defeated a Thunderjaw||Defeated the Thunderjaw at the top of Talonreach||Gold|
|Defeated a Stormbird||Defeated the Stormbird at the top of Devil’s Anger||Gold|
|Defeated a Fireclaw||Defeated the Fireclaw in Day’s End||Gold|
|Defeated a Bellowback||Defeated a Bellowback||Silver|
|Defeated a Shellwalker||Defeated a Shellwalker||Silver|
|Defeated a Scrapper Pack||Defeated a Scrapper Pack||Bronze|
|Defeated a Glinthawk Flight||Defeated a Glinthawk Flight||Bronze|
|A Rock to the Head||Climbed Brightdawn to the view of Dawn’s Grasp||Bronze|
|The Sunspear||Completed the Pilgrims’ Trail to the top of the Sunspear||Bronze|
|A New Threat||Discovered the Powerful Machine Lure at the top of Talonreach||Bronze|
|The Metal Devil||Repaired the Transmitter Box to Ascend to the Metal Devil||Silver|
|Asera’s Fall||Stopped Asera from reaching Meridian on her Tallneck||Gold|
Horizon: Call of the Mountain Cheats FAQ
Is PlayStation VR2 required to play Horizon: Call of the Mountain?
Yes, the game is designed specifically for the PlayStation VR2 headset, offering the first-ever Horizon virtual reality experience. It is not available in regular PS5 format.
Can players meet characters from previous games in the series?
Some of the game’s characters have roles in previous titles. While Aloy, the main protagonist from previous games, makes an appearance here as well, the game mainly focuses on characters like Ryas, who haven’t been featured much previously.
Is the game available for PC like the others in the Horizon series?
Unfortunately not. This game is a true exclusive to the PlayStation 5 and no other platforms have the game, at least of yet.