Unpacking is a puzzle video game developed by Witch Beam and published by Humble Bundle for Microsoft Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5. The game was conceptualized on a whim. The director moved in with her partner in early 2018 and while unpacking unlabelled boxes she thought that excitement could translate well into a video game. The game arrived at generally favorable reviews and currently sits at 84 on Metacritic.
The Premise Of Unpacking
Unpacking is divided into stages of a woman’s life. The gameplay in each stage consists of unpacking the main character’s possessions from boxes into her new home. The player must make sure the unpacked items fit neatly into the living space and learn the story through these items and living spaces. The game has won two BAFTA Game Awards, Best Narrative and Game of the Year. The praise didn’t stop there . Unpacking was named one of the best games of 2021 by The New Yorker, Los Angeles Times, Forbes, and many more publications.
The Main Characters Of Unpacking
- P – P is a fair-skinned female with brown hair, based on the few photographs of her as well as the final scene. Her gender is revealed before the photographs by the feminine products in the bathrooms as well as her clothing preferences. Her eyes are never seen in-game. She is of average build. By the end of the story, P is about 32.
- Girlfriend – Girlfriend is noticeably more feminine than P. When she first moves in, she brings many cosmetics-related items with her, such as an eyelash curler, makeup brushes, and skincare products. A majority of her clothes are dresses, whereas P only owns one, alongside a couple of skirts.
- Boyfriend – Based on photographs the protagonist’s boyfriend is white with brown hair. Probably well-groomed and professional. He owns at least 3 ties, which are properly rolled, along with formal business clothes. He doesn’t even own any graphic Tees. In the bathroom, he has separate soap, shampoo, and conditioner, and he uses a natural luffa. He also wears cologne or aftershave.
- Baby – The baby is only partly visible in the ending credits scene, in which it is seen wearing a yellow baby beanie and a blue onesie that is seemingly not present in the items you unpack in 2018.
- Roommates – The roommate characters first appear in 2007 when P moves in with them. They only appear in pictures. Because the player is unable to enter the roommates’ rooms, it is difficult to determine which interests belong to which roommate. Both roommates enjoy tabletop roleplaying games. One or both of the roommates have action figures scattered throughout the living room and dining room. They both have plushies, though which of the two roommates really owns the beetle, bear, and dog plushie is left up to player interpretation.
Other Titles In The Series
Unpacking is not a part of a larger franchise and it is the only game of its series. Here are some other games that are similar to Unpacking.
- A Little to the Left – A Little to the Left is a cozy puzzle game that has you sort, stack, and organize household items into pleasing arrangements while you keep an eye out for a mischievous cat with an inclination for chaos.
- Assemble with Care – Assemble with Care centers on an antique restorer who goes around a town fixing broken objects.
- Townscaper – Townscaper is an indie city-builder video game.
Unpacking Cheat Codes
Currently, there are no known cheat codes for Unpacking however, there are 25 achievements available for players to unlock.
|Achievement||How To Unlock|
|Make some memories||Found your camera.|
|Solve a puzzle||Solved the cube.|
|Blast some tunes||Turned on a music player.|
|Strike a pose||Made the mannequin dab.|
|A sometimes food||Put the cookie jar out of reach.|
|Electrical hazard||Put an electronic item somewhere dangerous.|
|Get smart||Unpacked 2004.|
|Game on||Turned on a game console.|
|Hat on head||Found a head to wear the hat.|
|Tidy whities||Tidied up his underwear drawer.|
|Brew some coffee||Placed all the coffee-making equipment on the counter.|
|Too cool||Unpacked 2010.|
|Rediscover childhood||Rescued a forgotten poster.|
|Home cooking||Unpacked 2012.|
|12:00||Set the time on the microwave.|
|Brilliantly solved||Wrote an equation with fridge magnets.|
|Green thumb||Found a place for every plant.|
|Baby builder||Built a tower out of baby blocks.|
|Fuzzy friends||Put the tiger and pig side by side.|
|Gotta flush ’em all||Flushed every toilet.|
|No place like home||Unpacked 2018.|